Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building - Take 2

Options

Replies

• 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @dcresider glad your shoulder is feeling better, but still take it very slow, I know from where I speak :-(

@DDHfree your progress is great! Not able to see your photos, but your numbers are awesome :smile:

@lwhayes820 that stinks about your OHP, but you also are making awesome progress!

Week 6/Day 13/Total Weeks 6
    Today's workout, SL A

Squat: 45lbs 2x5, 65 lbs 1x5, 75lbs 4x5, 80lbs 1x5

BP: 45lbs 2x5, 70lbs 3x5

Row: 45lbs 1x5, 65lbs 3x5

Skullcrushers: 25lbs 3x8

Shrugs: 50lbs 2x10

Haven't been in the gym since last Thursday, but I went cycling Fri/Sun, kayaking on Fri and a nice yoga class on Sun to round it all off, so I thought I would be ok today with my shoulder as it has had a good couple of days rest.
    That would be a big no, I was not!! Ughhh, everything was a struggle today because of this shoulder- For the first time ever I thought the bar was going to end up on my face during BP's, at that point I called it a day on the bench :-/ Only thing that went well was my squats, in addition to BP's, the row was hard, skullcrushers, shrugs, not a good day at all :-( But it is still better then not going at all I think.
    I finally go tomorrow to the ortho for the results of my MRI, I'm hoping he gives me a nice big shot of cortisone or something to get me through the summer! :#
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    5minty - Sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. Sounds kind of bad if all those shoulder exercises were bothering you. Good luck with the MRI and hope it's nothing major.

My shoulder it feeling okay even after the overhead press yesterday. I was expecting some residual pain but so far so good.It's mostly achy now and no sharp pain. I can still feel the tendon "click" or move when I rotate my shoulder/arm. We will see what happens with the deloaded bench press of 65 lbs. tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've decided to keep up with my cardio so I ended up running a hilly 3 mile run on the treadmill.
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I know I'm a bit late joining in here but I am really enjoying reading your posts in this group/thread. I'm on my third week of strength training..and doing SL along with a few accessory moves I'm adding in to help with core/shoulder weaknesses. Let me know if I'm posting in the wrong thread but here is my workout for yesterday: I'd like to follow along with you here :)
    Week 2/Day 6/Total Weeks 2
    Workout B

Squat: 45lb 1x5 (Warmup), 75lb 5x5

OH Press: 45lb 5x5

Romanian DL 3x5 45lb
    DL: 1x5 45lb

Face Pulls: 15lb 5x10
    Assist Pull-up: 3x5
    Also did mini Ab/Core workout and 1mile treadmill jog
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @DDHFree - Welcome back! I'm happy to hear that your Vegas trip was awesome!

@5minty - Good luck with your shoulder! I'm sure there's some miracle shot waiting for you. ;)

@dcresider - glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of things! A 22 mile bike ride is impressive.

@Kerrystoon - welcome! This is a great group. I'm glad that I found them.

Here goes:
    Week 6/ Day 16/ Workout B/ Total Weeks 6

Squats -
    Warmup 2x5 @ 45lbs 1x5 @ 75lbs
    Workout 5x5 @ 115lbs
    Felt really good. Breathing was good. Felt good glute activation. Was a really good set of lifts on Monday!

OHP-
    Warmup - 2x5 @ 45lbs
    Workout - 5x5 @ 75lbs!!! Did all reps of all sets! I was so excited! I did a Woo Hoo in my basement. I almost deloaded based on my last lifts, but I decided to just follow the program. I'm glad that I did. I feel very proud - can you tell? B)

Deadlifts
    Finally progressed to an official warmup!
    Warmup - 5x135 lbs
    Workout - 1x5 @ 160lbs

Today (Tuesday) - 35min Elliptical HIIT
    Still doing 1 min hard / 2 min easy - total of 8 intervals + warmup and cool down
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    5minty, hope your shoulder recovers very soon. Also, sorry about the picture as I will post another one soon or after the next 5 week results. Don't want to upload it while at work. LOL!
    Kerryatoon, welcome to the group. Glad you are joining. What are "Face Pulls"? I guess I could just google it.
    Iwhayes, thanks for the welcome back note. I see you are still killing it. And doing HIIT on top of your lifts.
    Dcresider, glad your shoulder is doing better.

Week:6 / Workout: B Total Weeks: 22

Deadlifts - 105 lbs 4× 6

OHP - 46 lbs 4 X 5,6,5,4

Negative Chin Ups - 4 X 6
  • dcresider
    Options
    @kerryatoon - Welcome to the group. The more support we get, the merrier. Good luck with SL. I liked it from the first time I started it since it was so easy and convenient with these set of exercises.

@iwhayes820- You are amazing and you seem to get stronger by the week! Keep up the great work.

@DDHFree - thanks about the shoulder.

WEEK 5: SL

Squats: none. I ended up doing something else since I've been running and bicycling the last few days. I wanted to rest up my quads today.

BP: 5 x 6 @ 60 lbs. So I deloaded by 15 lbs. and my shoulder still twinged a bit when I raised the bar, although it's fine when I lower the bar. We'll see how it feels tonight and tomorrow morning.

Rows: 5 x 6 @ 60 lbs. Too easy. I should have done 65 lbs. but I was using the same bar for the BP's and it's too time consuming to change plates. Call me lazy, whatever. :)

Romanian deadlifts: 5 X 8 @ 70lbs. I just love this exercise so much. Let's hope my hamstrings will be okay tomorrow.

cardio: 30 minute run. bike to work and bike back home = 45 minutes, 5 miles total.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Week 6/ Workout A/ Total Weeks 6

May 25, 2016

Squats
    Warm-up 2x5 @ 45lbs, 1x5 @ 75lbs
    Lift 5x5 @ 120lbs

Bench
    Warm-up 2x5 @ 45lbs
    Lift 5x5 @ 85lbs

Row
    Warm-up 5x95 lbs
    Lift 5x5 @ 105 lbs getting very challenging for me. I'm on again / off again with this exercise! :s

See you guys Friday!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Iwayes820, I feel you on the rows. I just can't figure out what to do about my back. I think I will order the low pulley so I can do lat pull downs and/or order bands so I can do band assisted pullups.
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the warm welcome! I would love to be accountable here and watch you all progress as well. @lwhayes820 you are killing it! Way to go! @DDHFree I am using a stand up chest supported bench for my rows due to the fact that my core isn't quite where I want it to be for this exercise. I also put off deadlifts and have been doing modified versions and a lot of core accessories until I feel comfortable with those.
    I had a reaaaallly late night last night. Went to the gym late but loved how empty it was!!

*I don't list my warm-up set, I do one set with the bar to check form and warm up*
    Treadmill: Jog 10 minutes
    Squat: 5x5 80lb
    T-bar Row: 5x5: 45lb
    Bench: 2x5 70lb, 3x5 65lb (had to deload.. my spotter had to help with last rep @70)
    Face pulls: 5x10 30lb
    Cable crunch: 3x13 100lb
    Assist chin-up: 2x5 (76lb assist) So I guess this means I'm lifting 71lbs of my own weight..
    Assist dips: 2x5 (70lb assist) 77.5lb of my weight

This is what I'm using for rows:
    my8uhykpmuw3.jpg

row.jpg 84.4K
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thanks for tip Kerryatoon. I workout at home so I don't have the option but you do make me wonder if I could do a variation on my at home bench. Kudos to you for getting to the gym even if it had to be late.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Iwayes820, I feel you on the rows. I just can't figure out what to do about my back. I think I will order the low pulley so I can do lat pull downs and/or order bands so I can do band assisted pullups.

/de-lurk

it's probably more setup and fiddling than you want to do, but mr squats in my barbell group does his rows at some weight waaay too heavy for even his lower back to support. plus, belly :D he has some trouble getting even low enough to do his deadlifts because of it.

he does his rows lying down on the bench. it's a pain in its own way i guess, since he has to raise the bench by stacking plates under it, and find some way to baffle the section of the bar that crashes into the underside of the bench. but it is an option, if absolutely no other way is available.

bands sound like the one i would choose, since you can at least use those for other things too.

/re-lurk
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    I like the 'laying bench row' idea. I have an adjustable bench, do I may be able to work that out. And, I think bands idea, too. I want to try chin-ups and that's a good tool to use.

Thanks @DDHFree, @Kerryatoon and @canadianlbs!
  • dcresider
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone. I can say that I exercised 6 days this week and I'm ready for a rest. Good thing the 3 day weekend is here.

WEEK: 5 / Day 3

Squats: 5 x 5 @ 95lbs. Perfectly done. Won't go up until next week. I swear my thighs look huge and the fat just doesn't want go away.

Overhead Presses: 5 x 6 @ 45lbs. The same shoulder problem but I managed to finish all the sets just fine. I can feel the tendon clicking every time I raise the bar.

Deadlifts: 1 x 6 @ 135 lbs. Stayed the same here.

• DDHFree
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Canadianlbs. I think I will give the lying on the bench a try. I don't want to neglect my back but everything I have been doing just feels so darn awkward.

Dcresider, I have to admit that I would love to see a little bulge in my quads as long as it's muscles. I bet yours are much nicer than you think.

Had to share Today, I have on a pair of Express jeans (size 2) that I bought some time last summer near the end of a 21 day crash diet. I was down to 121 lbs and the jeans fit okay but I made a mental note that I would wear them once I was down 5 more pounds. Well, you can guess that that never happened as I couldn't wait to eat after the diet and very quickly gained it all back. That was the last diet I did prior to discovering all the amazing ladies in this Stronglift group. At any rate, I decided to try the jeans on this morning and voila. They fit so well and I am 4 lbs heavier than when I bought them. In addition, I have not stopped any guys while out and about since gaining the weight back (shame on them). Was stopped by 2 at 2 different locations while on lunch break today. Yes, I am feeling sexy again but I'm still most excited about the fact that I am not dreaming about the program being over so I can stop running endless miles and start eating some of the foods that I love again. What I am doing, I will keep on doing it.

So hang in their my amazing cyber FIT friends. We are in this together.

• DDHFree
    Options
    Week:6 / Workout: A /Total Weeks: 22

Squats - 75 lbs 4× 6

Bench Press - 64 lbs 2 X 6
    ............................58 lbs 2 X 6, 5
    ............................Had to lower the weight as I felt a twinge in my shoulder. I need to resume the stretches that sixpacklady informed me of when this happened before.

Back: Did nothing for the back directly. Will work on this. But it feels good to see that I don't have to be perfect but rather CONSISTENT. You guys, trying to be perfect about my diet and fitness has been a huge problem for me for years. This new found freedom is so awesome and I thank ALL the ladies in this forum for sharing their experiences.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Deadlift - 120 lbs 1 X 5 - Dead lifted my body weight today, boy I am heavy :)
    OHP - 50lbs 3 X 3 - 50lbs is heavy!
    Band Pullups
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day

Week:7 / Workout: A /Total Weeks: 23

Deadlifts - 105 lbs 4 × 6

Shoulder Press - 46 lbs 5,5,4,5, 5

Inverted Rows - 4 X 6
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Hey ladies.. didn't get to the gym this weekend but I'm back at it today! Had a great session!
    Last Workout A, 5/26.

Week 3/Day 7/Total Weeks 3
    Workout B - All Exercises Warmup: 1x5 45lbs

Squat: 5x5 85lb
    OH Press: 5x5 50lb
    DL: 1x5 75lb (Finally got a proper DeadLift!!)

Accessory Lifts:
    Cable Face Pulls: 4x12 40lb
    Upright Row: 4x12 20lb
    Assisted Pull-up: 3x5 (70lb assist = 78lb lifted)
    Assisted Dips: 3x5 (70lb assist = 78lb lifted)
    Hanging leg raises: 4x12
    Jogging 5.3mph @ 1 mile
  • dcresider
    Options
    Hi all. Hope you had a fabulous weekend. I sure did and indulged heavily so it's back on track with exercise. I have SL planned today (I know that it's a Tuesday), plus the weather had been cooperative so rode my bike in to work today, and I may have a quick short run.

WEEK: 6 / Day 1
    Squats: 5 x 6 @ 95lbs.
    Bench Press: 5 x 6 @ 50 lbs.
    Rows: 5 x 6 @ 50 lbs.
    Cardio: bicycling and running
    Macros: back to IF 16:8 since I ate so badly this weekend plus it's that time of month. Still trying to keep with 1290 calories (not including cardio calories gained).
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Squat 82.5lbs 3 X 5
    Bench 55lbs 3 X 5
    DB rows - 22.5 lbs 3 X 8