Are you watching carbs and calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    Is the coffee part of the bullet proof coffee important? I am asking because I believe caffeine to be a great appetite suppressant. But I can't have caffeine. Would this work as well with herbal tea? I am only 1 week in to reducing my carb intake, and finding that I am very hungry between breakfast and lunch. Sometimes just feel like I'm starving right after eating breakfast. Maybe I need more fat and less "breakfast" . . .

No it doesn't have to be coffee. It's great with mint tea, with chai tea (I use decaf sometimes, sometimes not), etc. Whatever kind of tea you like and will taste good with creaminess added, try it and see!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you think you could be insulin resistant, taking in carbs at breakfast might be the culprit behind mid-morning hunger attacks.

Coffee is necessary for the "coffee" part of the formula only. You can use tea, water, or any other carb-free liquid, but definitely Avoid The Carbs!
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I watch both but I'm LC not keto. I keep Uber 100 total carbs a day and my caloric goal is 1405. I'm 47' female 5'3 and 148.5.

I usually fast 18:6 or 20:4 with an occasional 23:1. Those 23:1 days are the lowest calorie days be the longer I fast, the less hungry I am.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If you think you could be insulin resistant, taking in carbs at breakfast might be the culprit behind mid-morning hunger attacks.

Coffee is necessary for the "coffee" part of the formula only. You can use tea, water, or any other carb-free liquid, but definitely Avoid The Carbs!

Carbs aren't the problem as I am eating zero carbs at breakfast. But, I'm also not eating much fat at breakfast. I also don't eat pork. So as an example, this morning my breakfast was 2 eggs and 2 turkey sausage patties. There's a little fat in there, but not much. It's mostly protein.

I'll try this (ETA: Bullet proof drink) tomorrow with herbal tea. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was playing around with the food log. Todays breakfast was about an equal ratio grams of fat to grams of protein. If I try the Keto Tea (picked that term up from another thread) for breakfast tomorrow, it will be almost all fat. Could it be that I have been eating too much protein? Or maybe I'm just not fully adjusted to the LCHF thing yet? Someone above said it took about 3 weeks before they weren't hungry . . . .
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm counting both. I feel like if I didn't I'd eat TWICE as many calories because I don't feel satisfied on this WOE yet (day 5 for me). I hope that happens eventually...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Carbs aren't the problem as I am eating zero carbs at breakfast. But, I'm also not eating much fat at breakfast. ... It's mostly protein.

If you're insulin resistant, too much protein could raise your BG, triggering the release of insulin and > voilà! < hunger.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    when you are habitual snacker ... the little low carb snacks like nuts , seeds add up... to a lot of calories ... if you are snacking on cheese .. its much easier to stick to calorie goals.
    yes i do count both... because at the end of the week It helps me understand where i am at... in terms of net deficit for the week.
    Unless you are going really low carb like 20 ish... id say it is still pretty easy to over eat in a day.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    dk6boys wrote: »
    Kellryn wrote: »
    I watch carbs and calories. I was thinking of just minding carbs, since I am now NEVER hungry. I typically fast for 16 to 18 hours just because I don't think of food. Well, I find I'm still needing to watch calories but now for a different reason. I'm finding it harder to meet my calorie goal since I don't think of food much. When I do eat, I try to make it big since I now know I won't want food again for a long time.

How long did it take you to not be hungry? I'm starving all the time!

I've been doing this WOE for only about 3 months. It only took about 1.5 months for my hunger to go away, but I still ate 2 meals and a snack. It's just been the last 3 weeks where I am seriously not EVER hungry. I mean really really not hungry. I've even gone almost 24 hours between meals a couple times. I'm trying to be more mindful, because I don't want to under eat by such a large margin.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My problem has always been eating when my tongue is hungry. Often times my belly is full but my tongue is causing trouble... lol
    I try to stay around 1500 and 30 carbs. Always count everything.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I watch carbs and try to get an adequate amount of protein for my muscles to recover from exercise. Calories, I keep an eye on but I definitely am not going to kick myself if I'm over by a couple hundred.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the problem as I am eating zero carbs at breakfast. But, I'm also not eating much fat at breakfast. ... It's mostly protein.

If you're insulin resistant, too much protein could raise your BG, triggering the release of insulin and > voilà! < hunger.

This is why a high protein diet is really a high sugar diet.
  • RalfLott
    Options

This is why a high protein diet is really a high sugar diet.

That's an interesting way to look at it!

I'd agree that a high-protein diet is hardly a carb-free diet in practice, but still I suspect my pancreas and liver would spot the difference between a 7-up and a 7-oz. filet.
  • milanista2736
    milanista2736 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been counting both carbs and calories. Carbs I absolutely stay under 20g/day. Sometimes it's as low as 10g/day. Calories I'm usually at about 1700. Sometimes less sometimes more. Depends on the day really.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I count carbs consistently and keep an eye on calories. My calorie intake tends to range from about 1350 - 1450 and that's with my total carbs for the day falling in the 20-35g range.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've been at this about three months. I'm counting carbs and calories. Interestingly, eating LCHF lets me eat substantially more calories. I'm eating about 500 more calories a day and losing weight; whereas, previously, my weight loss was stalled. So much for CICO. :) Someday, I hope I won't need to watch both but my thyroid is failing, which creates additional challenges. So for now, watching both is working so I don't want to mess with it.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i count both calorie and carbs, but I am just starting out and this helps me to be conscious of what I am eating. Do what works for you. No two people are the same. Good Luck.
  • dk6boys
    dk6boys Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies! I got strict on myself and cut back my calories, while keeping my carbs under 30, and started running again using c25k. That did the trick, the scale is finally starting to go down!
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I count both. LCHF is so delicious it would be super easy for me to way over indulge just because it all taste so marvelous.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    dk6boys wrote: »
    Thank you so much for all the replies! I got strict on myself and cut back my calories, while keeping my carbs under 30, and started running again using c25k. That did the trick, the scale is finally starting to go down!

Bingo - the proof's in the (low-carb) pudding!