Changes in your lifestyle.....

Options
KKameka
KKameka Posts: 37 Member
As a child I grew up in an Italian restaurant eating pastas, cream sauces, breads, pizza, cheese cheese cheese and of course cheese. I thought that my favourite foods would always be something I could eat! Well guess again, not even 30 and I have too cut everything everything I love out of my diet yup. I am sorry no more mozzarella cheese for you. I found out because had no energy and I was tired all the time my doctor did scans at first and then sent my for blood tests, I am not celiac but all the intolerance together it was causing me to be physically ill, like the flu. With most they get the pain, or it goes out the other end. I throw up.....not nice, not nice at all. What about you?

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Finally - someone on the same page as me... unfortunately we are here :(.

I found out in my early 50's my issues. I was over 200 lbs, tired all the time, could not lose weight. I visited a Naturopath with my mom and weaseled my way into an appointment. Using Iridology, the Naturopath hit the nail on the head on many of my issues. I had not filled out her 3 page questionnaire so she was not armed with any information on me a head of time.

I am not gluten sensitive - I am yeast sensitive. My research shows that yeast is a preservative and is in a lot if things. When I eat anything with wheat in it I get the flu like symptoms - my dad was allergic to grain dust - so I possibly have some of that. I have not been officially tested.

I had Candida and heavy metal poisoning. I have undergone several months of detox and diet change. I am down 30 lbs. and currently at a plateau. I prepare all my food from scratch. I steam my vegetables....and amazing I can now eat onions without gassing everyone out of the house!! I avoid high glycemic fruits, I only eat fruits that end in "berry" and apples. I do have the occasional banana as long as it is not too ripe.

I look forward to seeing other peoples methods of dealing with the changes they need to make.
  • molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 28 and underwent a dangerous birth I'd my daughter, including an infection that resulted in heavy doses of antibiotics. My gut health was totally destroyed, and no diets were working for me (including completely clean eating) until I started taking pre and probiotics, DGL with meals and grapefruit seed extract to kill the yeast in my gut. About 6 weeks of that had out me down 12 lbs, which is great! I am soy, dairy, and gluten-free, and I keep my sugars under 20 grams per day. I also try to minimize vinegar, but I don't always succeed (I used to really like pickled foods). I'm less hungry and less tired, which rules.

My favorite meals:
    -chickpea salad with red peppers, onions, black olives, italian seasoning, olive oil and a dash of lemon juice.
    - quinoa with any combination of meats, beans and sauteed veggies.
    - Salmon (baked) and avocado. Can also be thrown into some quinoa or brown rice with seaweed, to mimic sushi.
    - Grass fed all beef hot dogs with tomato paste and sauerkraut.
    - Ground turkey, chicken or bison made into patties and sauteed with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf and white truffle oil olive. The truffle oil just takes it to a totally different level of delicious.
    - Steamed brussell sprouts, baked broccoli and sauteed green beans are great, as are raw red peppers and carrots with hummus.
  • molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the typos- on my phone.
  • KKameka
    KKameka Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love love love truffle oil....I put that *kitten* on everything :D lol
  • booplouise
    booplouise Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, a form of that that affects the bladder, mild psoriasis, and most likely collitis. I used to have hishimotos, but had a mass in my thyroid and had that removed... So. I'm just one big autoimmune disease. I was generally healthy as a kid, fat but healthy, but after major surgery for a liver issue and getting PTSD from some issues in a marriage, my autoimmune issues flared up horribly. I've had stomach problems, but things got worse. So, after having my thyroid removed and being told don't get your hopes up, but this may solve your problems and your fibromyalgia may be gone ( I'll be honest, I got my hopes up)... And they weren't gone, I decided to spend to much money on blood work to determine if I was sensitive to anything. There was a list, I decided to completely avoid the big items and reduce the smaller ones like cinnamon and black pepper greatly. So. I avoid beef, dairy, and gluten all together. I also try to minimize my exposure to eggs. The beef hasn't been a big deal, and I actually went gluten free a while back, so I still have my old recipe books and know a few things about it. Right now I'm having to accept the fact there is no good fake cheese replacement. I just have to let it go and figure out a way to get a cheese feel. Like, somehow cucumbers on tacos instead of lettuce and cheese makes me happy (oh, romaine and iceberg lettuce need to be avoided according to my blood work). I found a good chocolate. I was stoked when that happened. So, yeah. I now cook and prepare my weeks food Monday and Tuesday nights and put a fridge in my cubicle at work so that I can keep everything in it's own place. I weigh 330 lbs, so I know besides making me physically better, it will help with my weight. I'm trying to focus on that right now.
  • booplouise
    booplouise Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, a form of that that affects the bladder, mild psoriasis, and most likely collitis. I used to have hishimotos, but had a mass in my thyroid and had that removed... So. I'm just one big autoimmune disease. I was generally healthy as a kid, fat but healthy, but after major surgery for a liver issue and getting PTSD from some issues in a marriage, my autoimmune issues flared up horribly. I've had stomach problems, but things got worse. So, after having my thyroid removed and being told don't get your hopes up, but this may solve your problems and your fibromyalgia may be gone ( I'll be honest, I got my hopes up)... And they weren't gone, I decided to spend to much money on blood work to determine if I was sensitive to anything. There was a list, I decided to completely avoid the big items and reduce the smaller ones like cinnamon and black pepper greatly. So. I avoid beef, dairy, and gluten all together. I also try to minimize my exposure to eggs. The beef hasn't been a big deal, and I actually went gluten free a while back, so I still have my old recipe books and know a few things about it. Right now I'm having to accept the fact there is no good fake cheese replacement. I just have to let it go and figure out a way to get a cheese feel. Like, somehow cucumbers on tacos instead of lettuce and cheese makes me happy (oh, romaine and iceberg lettuce need to be avoided according to my blood work). I found a good chocolate. I was stoked when that happened. So, yeah. I now cook and prepare my weeks food Monday and Tuesday nights and put a fridge in my cubicle at work so that I can keep everything in it's own place. I weigh 330 lbs, so I know besides making me physically better, it will help with my weight. I'm trying to focus on that right now.
  • ladymax07
    ladymax07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I started my low carb, gluten free journey on August 19, 2015. I have have reactive hyperglycemia and insulin resistance and my doctor is trying me on a gluten free diet for a few months to see if it will help me with some digestive issues. It does seem to be helping. Sometimes I get really frustrated and stressed out looking for recipe books, websites or pins that have low carb and gluten free recipes. So many sites do not include nutritional information, but I heard I could use this site to figure that out. I am limited in the amount of carbs I should have for each meal and snack. I'm also nervous about eating out. Too many carbs makes me light-headed and whoozy. I hope to get know everyone and learn some new things. :) God bless.
  • CdnDi
    CdnDi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I started my Gluten & Dairy Free campaign last March.

I have Multiple Sclerosis (luckily benign and asymptomatic at this time) and Hypothyroidism.

What got me there was going to see the Registered Dietician at my doctor's office because this year I turn 60 and I wanted to know how to take care of this 60 year old body. We never ate badly but what is good for one isn't apparently good for all.

I had been suffering from what was deemed to be arthritis pretty badly but she felt it was not the disease, it was systemic..an autoimmune response to Gluten and Dairy. So its been 5 months and I am pain free in that regard. The real pain is having to invent myself in this gluten and dairy free world and not feel deprived. I am on a campaign to lose another 30 lbs as I have already lost 10.

So I am really glad to have found you here and hope to be as helpful to you as I hope you will be for me.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I would like to join in here too, please.

I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance 30 years ago. I lost 30 lbs over the last 2 years (all with the DASH diet). I changed to a ketogenic diet when it was recommended for my diabetic husband. 30 more to go on this 62 year old small frame.

Flash forward 6 months. a 5 lb weight loss (not the success I had hoped for), far more energy but .... @molaufy , horrible yeast problems. Up the carbs (still below 100 daily) and yeast problems gone. I am going to try grapefruit extract, thank you. I am on a probiotic and it helps. Weight has gone up, too. :(

But strange things have happened as a result. Cannot eat bread; any bread without problems. Can eat some cheese, but primarily "young" cheeses, not old. So, @Lilymay2, maybe it is yeast not lactose. Still experimenting. @booplouise, I am with you; there are no good cheese substitutes. I have been living for years with lactose free products which have worked for me. Hopefully, they still do. If I have to cut yeast and dairy products, it will be hard.

@ladymax07, I hear you about eating out. With the two of us, it is difficult. It is being invited out to people's homes that is the real tester. We live in the country so it is always an overnight. With DH being sugar and starch free, and me being the same (by choice rather than need) and add in no diary, we are difficult guests. At a restaurant, not so bad. We can usually find a salad to which we can add a protein (and figure out a dressing) or a meal where they double up the veggies and leave off the starch. But at people's homes, it is tougher. Corn does not sound like a starch to most people, or carrots but those are serious for my husband. And 'set meal' for socials, like a fund raising I went to recently, a real problem. Cream based soup, rolls, pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and carrots. Milk chocolate candy for dessert. I ate the pork, the carrots and snacked when I came home.

If the intolerance 'results' are immediate, it is easy. That stuff is poison to me and I eat around it. I cannot do otherwise. But it is harder for things that have longer term consequences because just a little 'because I want that" or "to be polite" happen and they affect long term health.

My husband is a good cook and has embraced the very low carb way. We are still eating well with a variety of foods. Being retired, we cook all meals at home. So we do have some recipe favourites.

Looking forward to support and idea. (Going to buy some grapefruit extract today, thanks)
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Ooopppsss.

Not buying grapefruit seed extract. started on a statin 6 months ago. Sometimes I forget its restrictions. :/
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    MSG, wheat, spelt, brassicas, haricot beans, raw onion, raw sweet pepper, vinegar, yeast, peanuts, cow's milk, Jerusalem artichokes, cooked green sweet pepper. I don't process animal fat well so I don't eat meat.

Hopefully that is the full list of what affects me. It becomes tedious having to work out what has set me off and keep adding to that list.

There is weirdness about the list though, I can eat Rye and Durum wheat. I can eat cooked cow's milk and small amounts of cow's cheese so it isn't lactose.

My symptoms are much like yours if I eat the wrong thing I can get stomach cramps (MSG), and it can 'eject' either end. Then for three days I am hyper sensitive and under the weather.

When I first found out I was wheat intolerant I lost 24lbs in about 6 months just because I changed my diet. It's the last bit that doesn't want to stay gone!

I don't eat out much and I usually carry suitable snacks with me so I can fill up safely when my hosts aren't watching.

I always travel with my own food for airlines but as I'm usually going to the med for my holidays this is OK as I can eat fish and salad until the cows come home.

My elderly mother has difficulty with my diet so I cook when I'm at her house each week so she doesn't tell me 'it was just a spoonful of flour to thicken the sauce' :smile:

Since I reached a certain age I've been not eating potato, rice or pasta except on Sundays as I find I get enough carbs by eating more steamed veg but less calories.

I have to say that at times I have hated myself for these intolerances but in truth I feel so much better without those foods. I try not to eat rye and durum wheat too often as I want to be able to have them and I'm scared that if I eat them every day I'll start reacting to them. When I first found out I couldn't have cow dairy I cried, cheese was my go to food. I can now have some cheese and I can eat goats cheese so it's not so bad.

It's been a long and hard road to get to where I am today.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Gosser wrote: »
    MSG, wheat, spelt, brassicas, haricot beans, raw onion, raw sweet pepper, vinegar, yeast, peanuts, cow's milk, Jerusalem artichokes, cooked green sweet pepper. I don't process animal fat well so I don't eat meat.

It's been a long and hard road to get to where I am today.

Yes, I sympathize with the list.

We just came back from an overnight with friends who are trying the low carb way. Thought we were good there. But ...... breakfast was to be a smoothie with blueberries, watermelon, banana, and orange juice combined with flax and yogurt. Sounds wonderful but not for diabetics nor low carbers. The thought was that the yogurt (plain) was healthy and wouldn't the flax offset the fruit sugars and doesn't fruit has fiber too? All true but .....
    So I was polite and ate many pills to manage the yogurt (and i found lactose free yogurt later - in the fridge) and my DH (the diabetic) limited himself to a couple of sips. And that was in a place where I thought they understood.

Oh well. We had fun and we are all good friends still.

I have been skipping around the edges and misbehaving (mildly) but the consequences are coming home to me so I have to get serious with my strict low carb again and get back on track.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I have modified my diet and the weight is coming off.

30% fats, 30 grams of fiber, 40% carb (don't always hit that) and 30% protein.

Still lactose and gluten free.
  • changingleemfp
    changingleemfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found out when I was 15 that I was allergic to dairy. I remember that transiting to a dairy free diet was hard it the time (cravings and dreams), but I lost 30 pounds the first month. It was so nice not to be swollen all the time.

I notice a big difference in how I feel when I eat gluten. I have not been diagnosed, but I naturally cut it out of my diet years ago. Whenever I eat it (usually at someone else's home), my nose becomes a faucet!

With all the autoimmune disorders that run in my family, I have studied Yuri Elkaim''s advice for years.

Recently, I let work suck my entire life from me. I gain 35 pounds in two years! Just started dairy-free Keto.