Costco is selling LCHF/Keto friendly protein bars

Options
Sarahb29
Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
For anyone looking for a Quest bar alternative, the box of 20 cost around $19 for the entire box. I made a trip out to Costco just to buy a box and try them. They're pretty good, although not as tasty as Quest bars, and obviously less variety, but hey.. can't beat that price, lol.

http://images.costco-static.com/image/media/500-1076882-847__1.jpg

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Also review the ingredients before buying, if you can't pronounce them, you should probably put them back...

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I think that tapioca starch, while listed as a source of fiber on those, does carry a big insulin response... I would expect a blood sugar reaction eating those.

@Sunny_Bunny_ - An example of the fiber stuffing you noted a few days ago?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes mwahahahaha!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They're out of stock at their online store, must be good! I have been trying to find the ingredient list though, many protein bars are not 'clean' eating

http://m.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature™-Protein-Bar-Chocolate-Brownie-%26-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough-2--Pack-20-Count.product.100296106.html
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I think that tapioca starch, while listed as a source of fiber on those, does carry a big insulin response... I would expect a blood sugar reaction eating those.

@Sunny_Bunny_ - An example of the fiber stuffing you noted a few days ago?

Yep. Exactly
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Also review the ingredients before buying, if you can't pronounce them, you should probably put them back...

What if you're a chemist like me? I can pronounce just about everything...

LOL! Here is a pic I took when I first saw an Atkins bar at Walmart, I first looked at the MAcros and they weren't too bad. But you have to look at the ingredients too:

lgkkymj5rnah.jpg

Actually, half of the ingredients are vitamins. But it is a highly processed food. I'm moving towards less "highly processed" foods to more natural, home grown stuff.

I hope this helps,
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    jly8df3ad259.gif
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Looks like Costco has them back in stock, and I can now see the ingredient list. Not bad! I think I will get some for an upcoming 2-week road trip. Here is the nutritional info costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSBCCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/1076882+Nutritional-Facts.pdf
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    OMG YES! I needed to make a trip to costco for heavy whipping cream and butter anyway but now I really need to go!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Looks like Costco has them back in stock, and I can now see the ingredient list. Not bad! I think I will get some for an upcoming 2-week road trip. Here is the nutritional info costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSBCCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/1076882+Nutritional-Facts.pdf

That's not too long of a list. At least compared to Atkins bars lol.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I bought them! I tried the chocolate chip one and it's pretty good. They use erythritol which is one sweetener I do like that doesn't taste funny or give me stomach issues. I really appreciate the economics (I don't even have a Costco card, my sis picked me up a box on her trip this weekend).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I bought them! I tried the chocolate chip one and it's pretty good. They use erythritol which is one sweetener I do like that doesn't taste funny or give me stomach issues. I really appreciate the economics (I don't even have a Costco card, my sis picked me up a box on her trip this weekend).

@DorothyParker - Just out of curiosity, did xylitol set off gasto-fireworks?
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I picked these up yesterday and tried the chocolate chip one. I liked it. No stomach issues. They're basically just Costco brand Quest bars, right? Love how much cheaper they are.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    @ Ralflott I haven't had any issues, but maltitol is really the one item that hurts my stomach. I don't seem to have sensitivity to xylitol.

I tried the chocolate brownie one now as well. Also tasty. They seem to have less of the grit that I've been encountering in Quest. Not sure if I am lying to myself, but I like these better. Quest still has better selection and chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate brownie wouldn't be my go-to flavors, but again, can't beat the economics!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »
    I picked these up yesterday and tried the chocolate chip one. I liked it. No stomach issues. They're basically just Costco brand Quest bars, right? Love how much cheaper they are.

The fiber is very different from quest. Quest now uses soluble corn fiber, but they used to use ISO - which was MUCH tastier... in fact, the switch to corn fiber broke my addiction to them and I havent had one in a long time now because they just dont taste the same. But Oh Yeah One bars still use the ISO and the birthday cake one is awesome :) Not cheaper really though...

I tried the costco ones and they were decent, but not addictive for me at least :) I didnt like the brownie one at all and gave those to my son. Finishing up the choc chip but prob wont buy any more.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    +1 for Oh Yeah ONE bars. Mint chip is good as well! So is peanut butter pie...it tastes like Reese's!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    +1 for Oh Yeah ONE bars. Mint chip is good as well! So is peanut butter pie...it tastes like Reese's!

The almond one looks just like and tastes close to an Almond Joy... Has the whole almonds on top and everything.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Are they *almost* as good as quest bars? I try not to eat any, but do pack them on road trips, carry one in my bike pannier, and take them to conferences and other places where I can't control my feeding times.

THAT SAID: I had the most remarkable work trip last month while experimenting with IF. It was super easy to fit to a conference schedule with IF and a bag of nuts for an 11am snack!

I'll be honest - personally I don't think they taste AS GOOD as Quest bars. Quest bars are thicker and not as dense as these. These are much chewier. And obviously you only get two kinds instead of having a free for all of your choice in Quest bars. But for me, they were still worth the 18 bucks I paid for them and I'll still continue getting Quest bars for a treat.

If you want another good snack for road trips I highly recommend the habanero BBQ almonds from Blue Diamond. They are 9 bucks for 1lb of them and are really yummy.