Dr Eade's Protein Power Plan

Options
jetsamflotsam
jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
Is anyone else familiar with or tried it before? I did it for a month back in 1999 and lost over 20 lbs in a month, I went from 199 down to 175 lbs. I remember feeling SO SICK of meat by the end of that month that ever since I've done every other diet under the sun except low carb. Small problem. I'm insulin resistant, I'm now 40 years old, I'm 5'4" and weigh over 300 lbs. My weight and an old injury in my SI joint are affecting my mobility and I'm not okay with that.

Today I started Phase 2, set my macros and I'm aiming to stay under 50 net grams of carbs and eat at least 75 grams of protein. I'm interested in chatting with anyone else who has done this program successfully? How do you prevent yourself from getting sick of all the meat? How was the weight loss? I'm starting with Phase 2 because I want this to be a lifestyle longterm change and I want it to feel do-able right from the start.

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    What does it entail exactly? I eat <20 net carbs and roughly 70-80 grams of protein/day. It's not part of a formal diet plan per se so I don't know if it's the same. I feel great.

I just love meat. Meat and veg for daaaaaaays. And eggs. I'm turning into an egg.
  • jetsamflotsam
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Dr Eades has written a number of books, too much to summarize in a post. Worth reading for sure if you have time. I have the latest ebook, but ordered a hardcover book as it's easier to flip around to the different sections.

Also, I wish I loved meat. I've been vegetarian a number of times over the years because it's hard to not hate it. I eat it mostly because I'm insulin resistant and when I eat vegetarian I feel like crap.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    This week I've averaged probably 140 gm protein a day, with
    225gm Greek yogurt and 2 oz cheese or 3 oz meat for breakfast,
    2-3 drumsticks for lunch (made a big batch of curry in the crockpot on Tuesday), and
    steak or ground beef for dinner.

Don't forget about seafood (shrimp is pretty much pure protein), eggs, cheese, and the myriad of protein powders available.

Have you tried writing out a weekly meal plan or template? It helps me a lot when I have to change up my diet, can use it to make your shopping lists, too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of green veggies with added fat and you don't have to focus so much on the meat. I'm almost completely carnivore and I never tire of meat. But, if I did, I would eat more green veggies. Unfortunately they seem to give me digestive issues so carnivore suits me better
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    This week I've averaged probably 140 gm protein a day, with
    225gm Greek yogurt and 2 oz cheese or 3 oz meat for breakfast,
    2-3 drumsticks for lunch (made a big batch of curry in the crockpot on Tuesday), and
    steak or ground beef for dinner.

Don't forget about seafood (shrimp is pretty much pure protein), eggs, cheese, and the myriad of protein powders available.

Have you tried writing out a weekly meal plan or template? It helps me a lot when I have to change up my diet, can use it to make your shopping lists, too.

I'm uber organized and a bit anal about meal plans and grocery lists. I have everything in an app with repeating grocery list items I can check off as I shop... Hehe

I forgot about Greek Yogourt... Need to pick some up tomorrow! Also hard boiled eggs will be a real easy quick snack. I bought some oven roasted chicken deli meat I can make cheese veggie meat rolls with instead of a sandwich...
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    What does Dr Eades suggest as far as fat?
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    What does Dr Eades suggest as far as fat?

In a nutshell, eat plenty of healthy fat.
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    First day went all right. I stayed under all my limits and got in about 7 cups of water. I've been fighting a stomach bug the last few days so slept most of the afternoon. Hoping i feel better tomorrow, I have a day to rest at home, so that will be nice.
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    Day 2 off to a good start... hardboiled eggs and cheese on multi-grain buttered ryvita crackers. Ended up having a tuna and feta salad last night instead of the salmon, will be making that for dinner tonight with steamed broccoli. :) Feeling good today! Stomach bug seems to be clearing up, so that's good news.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    He gave a great talk at the 2015 LCHF convention if you're interested.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/livin-la-vida-low-carb-show/id324601605?mt=2&i=367630151
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    Just thought I'd update my thread... Day 10 today and going strong. I went to the Keto calculator last night & it says I should lower my calories to be losing 1 lb/week, so I updated my macros to be 1740 cals rather than the 2030 MFP started me on... Left my carbs at 50 net g, protein is 75 net g still, and can't remember what the fat grams was... High... I lost 3.1 lbs my first week, putting me well into the 200's now. Very relieved my time in the 300's was so short lived. I could see it was creeping up, my all time highest was just below 305, and I am petite so it's a real burden on my frame.

I'm going to need plastic surgery when all is said and done. I had a consult with a surgeon about a breast reduction a few years ago and she said I definitely need it, but my bmi has to be under 30 in order to get the surgery, which is around 180 lbs, so that's why I set my goal at 175. I'll likely need a tummy tuck too, but the boobs cause a lot of back & neck pain so they are a higher priority. My mom had a reduction in her 30's and It made a world of difference to her so I know it's a good idea for me too...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Well, you could lose all your boobs with the weight loss like I did :(
    Lol
    I would kinda like mine back!
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking a boob lift and tummy tuck would be grand , but not sure I can justify it at my age. (63). I think my bmi is about 29 now at 146 lbs and 5' 2" . I'd like to lose another 15-20 lbs.
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    Lol

I had huge DDs when I was 13 years old and only 125 lbs, so I doubt it... They were something ridiculous like a J cup when I was nursing... Plus now they are super saggy, so will need a lift at the very minimum. LOL
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for a breast lift, and tummy tuck, on August 10th!! I'm so excited! After losing a total of 148 pounds (still hard to wrap my brain around!)things need to be put back where they belong! I began my weight loss journey with a size 44DDD, and now am a 32D. Told the surgeon I would be happy with a C cup (the selection of bras are prettier)!

Congratulations for getting out of the 300s!!! Thanks for the update!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Lol

I had huge DDs when I was 13 years old and only 125 lbs, so I doubt it... They were something ridiculous like a J cup when I was nursing... Plus now they are super saggy, so will need a lift at the very minimum. LOL

I didn't have the nickname "Betty Boop" in high school for nothing. I have always been very busty even when I was very thin. Not anymore! Lol
    And yes, gravity isn't being kind about it either!
  • jetsamflotsam
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lol

I didn't have the nickname "Betty Boop" in high school for nothing. I have always been very busty even when I was very thin. Not anymore! Lol

Huh... Well that would awesome if they just disappeared! I have always hated having big boobs. Gravity is a female dog!!
  • jetsamflotsam
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I'm scheduled for a breast lift, and tummy tuck, on August 10th!! I'm so excited! After losing a total of 148 pounds (still hard to wrap my brain around!)things need to be put back where they belong! I began my weight loss journey with a size 44DDD, and now am a 32D. Told the surgeon I would be happy with a C cup (the selection of bras are prettier)!

Congratulations for getting out of the 300s!!! Thanks for the update!

So freakin' jealous... I'm currently wearing a very tight 44DD (I really should go up a cup but no point spending money on expensive big bras now that I'm losing the weight) and I'd love to be a perky little C cup. Congrats and keep us posted on how it goes. I hope to be where you are now in a couple years. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Huh... Well that would awesome if they just disappeared! I have always hated having big boobs. Gravity is a female dog!!

Sorry, gravity is an equal opportunity trickster.

Headstands, anyone?

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! I realllllly am sad that my husband can probably fit his giant hand in my bra when I am wearing it!! I have always been rather healthy in the boob department even when losing before but this time I swear the boob fairy has cursed me! Haha. I have only lost 50 pounds and I know I'm going to have to be lifted and tummy tucked when I lose the last 20-30.

@karlottap I am so excited for you!!! Come on August!!! B)