Gym Tips

Options
krissymae88
krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
Hey everyone. I just recently joined a public gym for the first time. I have used the gym at my college prior to this, which was almost always empty.
I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for navigating a busy gym and hints into gym etiquette. Anything you wish you knew before you started going to the gym? Or anything that you see others doing that bugs you?

Replies

• gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer - not a physical guru, not a doc, not a nutrition person, just me offering my thoughts okay??

So...

Is there anyone there that can give you a tour to show you the different options on the machines and circuits? At the Y we use Activetrax there, it takes all the guesswork out of what I am doing that day. I go to the computer, print off my workout for the day, and when I am done, I log in what I did and it sets up a rotating workout every day. I am sure that there are also workout aps available as well to help you get started.

I personally dislike the testosteroni grunts and groans from the heavy weightlifters behind me , but that is just me.

Also, remember that your pace is the only thing that matters. Don't worry about setting a speed record on the treadmill or biking, set your own speed and work from there.

Um, lets see what else. Oh, bring your own towel for sweat and such while you are working out, or perhaps that is just me that tends to overheat and sweat a bunch, but also make sure that when you are sitting on equipment or something, sanitize and wipe down before and after and I tend to sit on towels when sitting at machines. But sanitize and wipe down after each machine. Our gym provides a little spray sanitizer bottle and a towel for you when you come in so you 'clean up after yourself'.

Don't worry about special clothing, just get out there, and find something you enjoy doing while there. Put some headphones on, netflix, spotify or whatever you listen to for music while on the treadmill or something, and just go for it.

:smiley:
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    The gyms I go to aren't excessively busy but everything said above is spot on. I sweat pretty good and bring my own towel plus use the sanitizing wipes they provide to wipe down anything my body touches. I probably do 1 thing that others don't like. I walk in and put my water bottle, towel and ipod on the machine I'm going to use, then I go change. There are only 4 ellipticals so I want to insure I get one. I just mind my own business and plug in my headphones so I can zone out for a while. Love it!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The biggest change I made in gym attendance when I started my pre-surgery diet and exercise plan was that I focused on the number of trips I made, rather than trying to maximize each workout. In the past, I would killmyself at the gym and end up sore and give myself excuses for not going back regularly. This time, I cut way back on the intensity of my workouts and made sure to hit the gym three or four times a week, no excuses. For instance, in May 2014 (I believe), I set a goal of 25 trips to the gym before July 4th. i hit that goal, saw great results and kept at it through my surgery in September.

I need to get back some of the gym mojo, but I am convinced that slow and steady is the way to go, especially for non-regular exercisers (which i was).

Rob
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The only other thing I would offer from what's here above is that if they offer classes, try them out! I'm not much of a machine person. Nothing bores me quicker than doing reps on one. I get the majority of my workout from the classes that are offered (aerobic kickboxing, fitcamp, weight lifting, Zumba, etc.) because it holds my interest, and the regulars that are there keep me motivated to continue coming back. If you find yourself struggling to maintain a solitary workout routine, classes may be an alternative to consider.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice everyone! Thank you all!!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Do not push yourself too hard! I did and am still paying for it. I went from about 2.5k steps to 6k steps to 10k steps really quickly and am currently dealing with Achilles tendonitis at the insertional point. It's a bear to heal and flares up quickly. Take your time, slowly ramp up your activity. No reason to kill yourself!