Gym fails!

Options
CarCar0207
CarCar0207 Posts: 59 Member
So I'm loving my new low carb lifestyle (been Keto for coming up on 3 weeks now). Feeling great.... Until I get to the gym. I feel like I fatigue way faster, even to the point where I am feeling dizzy. I'm eating all my calories (1400-1600 daily) and my macros are on point. I supplement magnesium, fish oil, MCT powder and a multivitamin. What am I doing wrong!!?!? Please help! Thanks!!

Replies

• angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm new too- day 15. What's your workout like? Any thyroid diagnosis?
  • CarCar0207
    Options
    angelew wrote: »
    Hey there! I'm new too- day 15. What's your workout like? Any thyroid diagnosis?

Yes- I do have hypothyroid but I take my medication very diligently: I lean toward cardio for the most part. Lifting wears me out so fast
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your doing it all right. Is it possible you are more dehydrated than you realize? The normal 8 glasses per day won't suffice for an active keto follower. Try upping your hydration and perhaps including an electrolyte pack in your gym water bottle. I was nervous about the additional carbs but realized a few packs a week actually helped me to feel more energetic during my workouts. Keep us posted!
  • laceyinskamok
    laceyinskamok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe you needs some more salt. Try some broth with salt pre workout. If I get headache or light headed salt works great for me!
  • ThinVee
    Options
    Check out these tips on why our gym endurance may be affected for awhile.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects#performance
  • CarCar0207
    Options
    I have upped my salt intake and my calories a bit but I think time he helped more than anything time has helped the most. I'm now in my 4th week and feel clear headed and more energized. I am going to go back to that body works class that Kicked my butt so badly yesterday and put my theory to the test. :-)
  • ThinVee
    Options
    I just restarted and with the intense heat in the south have realized I need even more salt too. Good luck!
  • MsND
    MsND Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing water aerobics and loving it. It beats this southern heat and works out every muscle.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Few things you are going to need for supplements if you are going to be a lo-carb/keto dieter.

1. Sodium - you are going to need more
    2. Potassium - you are going to need more but you need to be careful when dosing - you can overdose K
    3. Magnesium - you will definitely need more

You can supplement sodium and magnesium and potassium, however, for potassium I recommend speaking to a dietician or someone who can help you dose it correctly. Start off with basic potassium supplements but until you are properly dosed by a physician or dietician you may not get it right. This is the one side of the lo-carb lifestyle that needs a bit of help from someone who knows how they work...

It's always best to get things from natural sources. AVOCADOS are you bestest friends. They have a lot of potassium and a lot of great fat / fiber.