Planned entry - Anyone else tried this with success?

Options
bjwoodzy
bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
So as usual, I just track what I eat, but the other day I did something different... Has anyone else ever done this? Did you have more success with it? Or do you prefer to just use MFP after the fact (day's end, after a meal/snack)?

I found out that MFP will let me enter in a plan for my daily menu in advance. So last night, I sat there and entered in what I planned to eat, much like a busy mom might plan the menu for the entire family's meals for a day or whatever, and you know what? Aside from a couple tiny slip-ups (I drank half & half in my coffee in the morning instead of heavy cream as planned, and sneaked in some extra cheese into my evening snack), I was actually closer to hitting my macros than ever before, because I planned out my meals to fit my daily macro goals and only went over a tiny bit on my calories for the day.

I don't really need hardcore accountability, as I'm really feeling positive about this WOL, but I find that it sort of does help because I made promises/goals and now I have to keep them - I mean, I guess I could change my mind at lunch time and switch from beef and cabbage stir fry to taco salad without it making a huge difference, but for the most part, I'm liking this. Maybe it helps me because I work at home and prepare/eat all my meals here, too. But I just thought I'd post about it, in case it works for someone else.

I didn't really search on here to see if anyone else tried this yet :P I'm silly.

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I quite often put everything in for the day before I eat it. Far better than adding as I go and running out of calories.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I track as I go and am often over and also deliberately accidentally omit things I maybe don't want to own up to :D
    I think I will give this a try too to see if it helps me - thanks for the idea
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a lot, mostly the night before or the morning before eating anything. I find it helps me stay on plan and accountable.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I usually log my lunch as I'm packing it up. Don't always get a link to the Internet from work.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Yes, pre-logging helps me stay on track
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging my breakfast and lunch helps me a lot. It also tells me how much of what macros I have left for dinner. It is a big thing for me and has helped me tremendously
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I must admit I tend to log as I eat things, never know exactly what I am going to have from day to day which is not good really - but always ensure there is a good selection in my freezer for days when I can't be bothered like low carb chilli - have never been good at planning but it might be something I should try to change in my new lifestyle
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    every single day. I sit down in the morning and log in all the food I intend to eat in a day. Then if minor tweaks need to happen during the day I change or add later on but it really helps me to have a plan going into each day.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Most nights when I close out the day's log, I pre-plan the next day's food intake. While I make some changes based on my mood, having planned ahead generally keeps me from grabbing whatever I see when hunger strikes. I find that I have greater success staying within my calories and macros by pre-planning.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping a writing pad in the kitchen to write down whatever I eat, then when i log it, I see where I am up to that point. I have found it helps me choose what to eat for the next meal, according to my macros.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I typically pre log dinner. I often have a good idea of what I'm going to make so I'll input it earlier in the day so I know where I stand for the rest of my intake. Last night I actually carried my BPC over to this a.m. so I didn't have to keep logging it. I've changed my BPC recipe a few times now and I hate adding a new recipe every time and I hate inputting each component every time so the carry over works nicely for me.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I usually do this if I'm planning on going out to eat. I'll look up their menu and plug it in so I know what to order and I know what to budget for for the rest of the day.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yes! I knew this was a great idea! This is proof : )
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My inner rebel would leap off the deep end of my plan if I did this. It's just like she goes, "HA! That's what you think... Nope, let's do THIS instead." It's almost always fully on plan, so that's not the problem for me. Luckily, I repeat most of my foods/meals, so it's not much of an issue. I just learned that my annoying inner self does better with LOOSE plans than tight ones. SMDH at myself. LOL
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think planning is everything. I've actually gone a small step further. With little exception, I eat the same breakfast and lunch every single day. I like them, they are good, I know where I stand, and I don' that to think about them at all.

I only think about and plan 1 meal/day. That is way easier then 3. Might sound boring to many of you, but it makes managing the macros really easy.

It's worked really really well for me.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-log a whole day but often will enter lunch ahead of time as insurance against ending up at 3:00 in the afternoon with no room in my macros for another bite until the next day. Depending on where I stand in the late afternoon, I may pre-enter dinner plans, again, to make certain what I'm planning on will actually fit.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning is a good way to stay on-track!