Recipes

Options
Ultima_Morpha
Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
Do we have a recipes thread in this group yet? I mostly eat just vegetables, dairy, and meat but I've been experimenting with suitable treats to cope with my sweet tooth that unfortunately never went away.

I'll start with a recipe for a soft cookie that I devised this week. It has almost a muffin-y texture. I'll write it as made but will add notes for what I will do differently next time.

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Chocolate Muffin Top Cookies

62 grams Syntrax Matrix 2.0 Perfect Chocolate Protein Powder
    28 grams chia seeds
    10 grams Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp baking powder
    31 grams Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour
    1 large egg, beaten
    30 grams Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
    110 grams (1/2 cup) MaraNatha No Stir Almond Butter
    6 grams (2 packets) Truvia
    8 fluid ounces Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet (or use parchment paper)

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Warm the nut butter a bit to make it easier to incorporate the milk and egg. Slowly whisk in the almond milk and vanilla until well mixed. It should be cool enough to whisk in the beaten egg.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and mix everything together until completely combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Scoop out tablespoons (I use a cookie scoop because I like them to be a consistent size) onto cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. They don't spread too much so you can put them pretty close together; I got 29 cookies with my scoop out of this batch.

Let them cool just for a minute then place on cooling rack or towel until completely cool.

Tip: As tempting as they are warm out of the oven, they actually taste better after they've cooled and rested. The moisture from the chia seeds redistributes and the stevia aftertaste seems to dissipate.

Nutrition Facts (each cookie)
    50 calories
    3g protein
    3g carbohydrates
    1g sugar
    1g fiber
    3g fat

Notes:
    -I'll add a teaspoon of espresso powder next time. It helps bring out the chocolate flavor. I just forgot.
    -Another 30 grams of mini chips would add a lot chocolatey goodness for only about 6 more calories per cookie.
    -I used almond butter because I happened to have the exact right amount left in my pantry...but I'll use peanut butter next time.
    -I like to warm them for a few seconds in the microwave and spread a little nut butter in between for a yummy sandwich cookie.

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I am definitely NOT a baker, but I do cook. I will get a few super quick and easy recipes together and figure out the stats and post them here! Great idea!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    I am definitely NOT a baker, but I do cook. I will get a few super quick and easy recipes together and figure out the stats and post them here! Great idea!

I cook a lot too...I just don't measure anything...lol! I have a tasty tofu taco filling that I should document the next time I make it.

I'll add a recipe for high protein pudding sometime this weekend...again when I measure stuff as I add it instead of just eyeballing and tasting.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Cottage Cheese De-Lite
    makes 9, 100 gram servings

1 0.3 ounce package Sugar Free Jell-O (dry), small box
    1 24 ounce tub large curd cottage cheese (4%)
    227 grams Plain Stonyfield Organic Greek Yogurt, Whole Milk

Mix it all together, weigh out portions, refrigerate several hours or overnight to thicken slightly. Yummy with a sprinkling of roasted, salted nuts or toasted coconut.

For each 100 gram serving:
    96 calories
    4 grams fat
    4 grams carbohydrates
    11 grams protein

Notes: I happen to prefer large curd cottage cheese, but I've made it with small curd and lower fat content ingredients. Lower fat is a bit less satisfying but tasty nevertheless. I've also made it without the yogurt, but it makes it a bit more luscious.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am not really having much of a sweet tooth at all, but I tell you I miss pasta sometimes. Zoodles have become my good ol' standby. Hubby even doesn't mind them. I prefer to have them steamed a bit prior to using, but he like the crunchy from them just zoodled raw. Funny, he had no idea that wasn't pasta prior to eatting them. (love sneaking stuff in on him) All he said was, hmm, different pasta this time cause it isn't as mushy as the last stuff you made. I am thinking that was a round about complement, so I will take it.

Quick easy dinner, and keep in mind, I am not a cook, so sometimes jars and cans are my way to go. Zoodles and a jar of thick vegetable (I use a no-sugar added) spaphetti sauce and dinner is served. (For several meals) hahaha
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Chocolate Pudding
    makes 10, 100 gram servings

8 oz. Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1 - 24 oz. tub fat free cottage cheese
    10 grams Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
    l - 2 oz. Sugar Free Chocolate Cook & Serve Jell-O Pudding
    1 tsp instant espresso
    2 packets Truvia
    1 cup Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla (add after cooking)

Put the almond milk in a food processor or blender and add the cottage cheese. Process/blend the heck out of it until it gets as smooth as possible (any fine curds will smooth out with cooking). Add in the other dry ingredients and blend until thoroughly combined, scraping the sides as needed.

Put in microwave safe bowl and cook on high for about 8 minutes, whisking and scraping the sides of the bowl every two minutes.

Stir in the vanilla. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set. This makes a very thick set pudding (almost like a pot de crème).

Per 100gram serving:
    93 calories
    >1 gram fat
    10 grams carbohydrates
    10 grams protein

Notes:
    -I used fat free cottage cheese because I was experimenting with the recipe and need a few more carbs in my life to fuel my runs. Higher fat cottage cheese could shave about a carb off each serving.

-I also would normally use 2% Fage yogurt...but I had a coupon for Stonyfield this week.

-You can use instant pudding too, but make sure that you blend it as smooth as you can before putting in the pudding mix...it will start to thicken instantly!

-It is actually sweet enough for me without the added Truvia but, again, I was experimenting. I like to top it with a little unsweetened Greek yogurt.

-I'm trying to work out a recipe that would get rid of the pudding mix altogether and further lower the carbohydrate content, but I just haven't gotten the flavor right yet.

• Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Low-Carb Enchilada Bake
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/enchilada_bake.html

I made a version of this last night and it was a hit with the whole family. We topped it with plain Greek yogurt, tomatoes, and cucumbers...with a few corn and flaxseed chips on the side. I say "a version" because I'm not very good about following recipes (unless I'm baking) and just use them as inspirational starting point...so I don't have the nutritional break-down for what I made.

I added fresh chopped poblano pepper, cilantro, garlic, onion, and black beans, olives, and a bit of leftover kernel corn to the topping mix. I do rinse my cooked ground beef with some hot water to reduce the fat a bit more.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    I love both zucchini and yellow squash made into noodles! I like to make a little nest of them in a bit of coconut oil and fry an egg in the middle of it. All smashed together with a wedge of Laughing Cow, salt, and pepper...yum. I do the same thing with baby kale that I've shredded into fine ribbons...Dr. Seuss would approve of my green eggs without ham.
    gdnplnty wrote: »
    I am not really having much of a sweet tooth at all, but I tell you I miss pasta sometimes. Zoodles have become my good ol' standby. Hubby even doesn't mind them. I prefer to have them steamed a bit prior to using, but he like the crunchy from them just zoodled raw. Funny, he had no idea that wasn't pasta prior to eatting them. (love sneaking stuff in on him) All he said was, hmm, different pasta this time cause it isn't as mushy as the last stuff you made. I am thinking that was a round about complement, so I will take it.

Quick easy dinner, and keep in mind, I am not a cook, so sometimes jars and cans are my way to go. Zoodles and a jar of thick vegetable (I use a no-sugar added) spaphetti sauce and dinner is served. (For several meals) hahaha

• vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do we have a recipes thread in this group yet? I mostly eat just vegetables, dairy, and meat but I've been experimenting with suitable treats to cope with my sweet tooth that unfortunately never went away.

I'll start with a recipe for a soft cookie that I devised this week. It has almost a muffin-y texture. I'll write it as made but will add notes for what I will do differently next time.

Thanks!!!! this is such a great idea...i've been looking online at pinterest and i also found a bariatric recipe book that i was able to print out but it's sooo hard finding things
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

I cook a lot too...I just don't measure anything...lol! I have a tasty tofu taco filling that I should document the next time I make it.

I'll add a recipe for high protein pudding sometime this weekend...again when I measure stuff as I add it instead of just eyeballing and tasting.

I would LOVE to know your Tofu Taco filling recipe :-) I am a big tofu eater :-)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffin Top Cookies

72 grams Syntrax Matrix Peanut Butter Cookie Protein Powder
    24 grams Tru-Nut Powdered Peanut Butter
    36 grams Bob's Red Mill Natural Almond Meal
    28 grams chia seeds
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    110 grams Smart Balance Creamy Peanut butter
    8 fluid ounces Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk
    1 large egg, beaten
    60 grams Nestle Tollhouse Semi-Sweet Mini Chips
    1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet (or use parchment paper)

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Warm the nut butter a bit to make it easier to incorporate the milk and egg. Slowly whisk in the almond milk and vanilla until well mixed. It should be cool enough to whisk in the beaten egg.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and mix everything together until completely combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Scoop out tablespoons (I use a cookie scoop because I like them to be a consistent size) onto cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. They don't spread too much so you can put them pretty close together; I got 29 cookies with my scoop out of this batch.

Let them cool just for a minute then place on cooling rack or towel until completely cool.

Super tasty re-warmed and sandwiched with a bit of peanut butter (or cream cheese!).

Note: This recipe is a bit more wet than the chocolate one that I posted before; I think it is the difference between using coconut flour and almond meal. The final texture is almost identical though.

Nutrition Facts (per cookie):
    63 calories
    3 grams protein
    4 grams carbohydrates
    1 grams fiber
    4 grams fat
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Kale Pizza Crust

These are a hit with my family. I used the Panko crumbs since it doesn't add all that many carbs but will probably try them with coconut flour or almond meal at some point. I cooked individual size crusts in my waffle iron and it created a lot of nice crispy edges.

They freeze/re-heat well. The crust is very cheesy so we usually just add enough cheese on top to hold the toppings together.

http://www.sweetashoney.co/kale-pizza-crust/
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oven 'fried' chicken wings. I still love wings, but ever since my surgery, the grease from the deep fryer just tore my stomach apart, so I thought I'd have to give them up forever. Then I found this recipe- and it is not only healthier, but still the crispy skin wings I loved, without the extra grease on my stomach. I mix the sauces between the one listed, Frank's Red hot, and teriyaki. http://www.recipetineats.com/crispy-oven-baked-chicken-wings-honey-garlic-sauce/
  • Ultima_Morpha
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oven 'fried' chicken wings. I still love wings, but ever since my surgery, the grease from the deep fryer just tore my stomach apart, so I thought I'd have to give them up forever. Then I found this recipe- and it is not only healthier, but still the crispy skin wings I loved, without the extra grease on my stomach. I mix the sauces between the one listed, Frank's Red hot, and teriyaki. http://www.recipetineats.com/crispy-oven-baked-chicken-wings-honey-garlic-sauce/

Oh...those look so good. We'll be trying those this week! I'm having weird cravings lately and these will hit the spot.
  • chas4200
    chas4200 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    High Protein Blueberry Waffles

2 scoops Quest Vanilla Milkshake Protein Powder (I've had no luck with other powders)
    1/2 cup Kodiak Power Cakes flour
    1/3 cup egg whites
    4 tsp Truvia Baking Blend
    1 cup blueberries (or whatever fruit you prefer)
    1 1/3 cups water

Mix thoroughly with hand mixer (very important for getting lumps out and making it fluffier)
    Pour into waffle maker and cook
    Makes 4 waffles in a large waffle maker

Nutrition information:

Calories: 151
    Carbs: 17g
    Sugar: 4g
    Protein: 20g

The only issue so far is you have to be careful with the waffle maker temp and time. The blueberries can burn a little. Our iron has 1-4. We use a little over 3.

They're much more fum than a protein bar ;-)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

That looks SO good. Have you ever tried this on other chicken pieces besides wings? Or do the pieces have to be small like wings to work? (I'm a southern girl who's REALLY missing her fried chicken.)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

I have to try these! I make a sauce that's equal parts of honey and sriracha, and some lime juice. I think it would be great with these wings!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options

That looks SO good. Have you ever tried this on other chicken pieces besides wings? Or do the pieces have to be small like wings to work? (I'm a southern girl who's REALLY missing her fried chicken.)

I haven't tried it with other pieces, but I bet it would work, just a longer cook time if doing bone in thighs or breasts. I would check them with a meat thermometer while you're playing with it to figure out the right time. Then please let me know! ;)
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

I have to try these! I make a sauce that's equal parts of honey and sriracha, and some lime juice. I think it would be great with these wings!

Equal parts grape (or other) jelly and sriracha is similarly good, and the pectin in the jelly helps the sauce stand up a little more.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

I made them! So crispy and delicious. I didn't even need sauce.

ia7n9iy5z5r0.jpg