Recipes

Options

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome, and I'm so glad you liked them! They've joined our weekly dinner rotation
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome, and I'm so glad you liked them! They've joined our weekly dinner rotation
    Do you de-bone them and weigh them to log them, or do you just weigh them whole?
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Oven 'fried' chicken wings. I still love wings, but ever since my surgery, the grease from the deep fryer just tore my stomach apart, so I thought I'd have to give them up forever. Then I found this recipe- and it is not only healthier, but still the crispy skin wings I loved, without the extra grease on my stomach. I mix the sauces between the one listed, Frank's Red hot, and teriyaki. http://www.recipetineats.com/crispy-oven-baked-chicken-wings-honey-garlic-sauce/

That looks SO good. Have you ever tried this on other chicken pieces besides wings? Or do the pieces have to be small like wings to work? (I'm a southern girl who's REALLY missing her fried chicken.)

I haven't tried it with other pieces, but I bet it would work, just a longer cook time if doing bone in thighs or breasts. I would check them with a meat thermometer while you're playing with it to figure out the right time. Then please let me know! ;)

Awesome. My boys don't do dark meat and they look at me nuts if I hand them a wing. LOL

Holy cow, that pic is AMAZING. That looks so good. Definitely trying this one soon.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana "Nice" Cream
    Servings: 8 x 100 grams

462 grams very ripe, frozen bananas (this was about 6 bananas)
    30 grams cocoa powder
    4 grams Xanthan Gum
    93 grams Syntrax Matrix Perfect Chocolate Protein Powder
    96 grams Smart Balance Creamy Peanut Butter
    200 grams ice cubes

I have a 1000 watt Ninja Blender so I just tossed it all in and blended the heck out of it. I had to stop and scrape down the sides a few times, but it only took a few minutes for it to get smooth and creamy.

It is good right out of the blender but freezes to a nice consistency. I find it very satiating even at a lower serving size; I calculated the nutritional facts on 100 grams because math!

Per 100 grams:
    183 calories
    7 grams fat
    20 grams carbohydrates
    9 grams sugar
    4 grams fiber
    13 grams protein
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Ricotta and berries (if you don't like artificial sweeteners, move along! lol)

15 oz container of part-skim ricotta (do NOT use fat-free, the texture will be AWFUL)
    1/3 cup Swerve sweetener
    1/2 cup milk (I use Fairlife 2% for the extra protein)
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla

Blend well (I too have a Ninja, so this works wonderfully)

Grease (Pam spray) up a glass pie plate. For me, a pie plate would NOT have held it all, so I used a square glass baking dish.

Dump mix into dish. Drop in about 1 cup of whatever berries you like. I've now done both blueberries and cherries, and both are great.

Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes. I start checking it about 25 minutes, and check every few minutes. I want the center to be jiggly, but done. For me that's been between 35 and 40 minutes.

I cut mine into 8 pieces, each piece is about 9 grams of protein and around 115 calories. Exact calories will vary based on ricotta brand, milk used, and if you use an artificial sweetener or blend. Also, your berries will impact that.

*note* If using frozen berries, let them defrost, then let them sit in paper towel for a while or the mix will come out WAY too watery!
  • salinasg1
    salinasg1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great recipes!! Cant wait til I'm done with only liquids..
  • Crossfitand5ks
    Crossfitand5ks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question. I'm thinking of switching protein. I see you use Syntrax. Does it taste good? Have you tried the fruit varieties??
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    I have a quick question. I'm thinking of switching protein. I see you use Syntrax. Does it taste good? Have you tried the fruit varieties??

Syntrax is my favorite! But, to be honest, I didn't test a whole bunch. I found something I liked after I could stop the Bariatric Advantage and stuck with it.

My favorite flavors for a straight up shake are Peanut Butter Cookie and Mint Cookie. They are all too sweet for me though...I use unsweetened cocoa powder or peanut butter butter powder to keep the flavor but cut the sweet. I also use the PB Cookie in my oatmeal....mmmmmmmm.

We also like the Fuzzy Navel flavor and the Pink Grapefruit.

The Perfect Chocolate and Vanilla mostly get used in my coffee and for cooking.

I did not like the Nectar Chocolate Truffle so much...but it was more of a texture (too thin) than a flavor thing. Come to think of it...I should try cooking with it. The chocolate flavor is more intense than the Perfect Chocolate.

I wish they made a caramel flavor!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    @Crossfitand5ks and @amandacanales I LOVE Syntrax Nectars too! I LOVE their Iced Tea and Lemonade flavors. GREAT Arnold Palmers, heh! I also love the Kiwi Strawberry and the Fuzzy Navel. I use the Fuzzy Navel with frozen peaches for post-workouts. My trainer really liked the Grape flavor I gave him. (Can't stand grape anything)

Salted Caramel by Quest is great! I mix it almost every day with iced or hot coffee! I only buy it from GNC when they have the buy 1 get 1 50% off.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    @Crossfitand5ks and @amandacanales I LOVE Syntrax Nectars too! I LOVE their Iced Tea and Lemonade flavors. GREAT Arnold Palmers, heh! I also love the Kiwi Strawberry and the Fuzzy Navel. I use the Fuzzy Navel with frozen peaches for post-workouts. My trainer really liked the Grape flavor I gave him. (Can't stand grape anything)

Salted Caramel by Quest is great! I mix it almost every day with iced or hot coffee! I only buy it from GNC when they have the buy 1 get 1 50% off.

I'll try Quest then! They seem to be the best rated on Amazon too. I've got some weird aversion to Quest in general; I think it is just because they've become so ubiquitous.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

15 oz container of part-skim ricotta (do NOT use fat-free, the texture will be AWFUL)
    1/3 cup Swerve sweetener
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla

Grease (Pam spray) up a glass pie plate. For me, a pie plate would NOT have held it all, so I used a square glass baking dish.

Dump mix into dish. Drop in about 1 cup of whatever berries you like. I've now done both blueberries and cherries, and both are great.

Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes. I start checking it about 25 minutes, and check every few minutes. I want the center to be jiggly, but done. For me that's been between 35 and 40 minutes.

I cut mine into 8 pieces, each piece is about 9 grams of protein and around 115 calories. Exact calories will vary based on ricotta brand, milk used, and if you use an artificial sweetener or blend. Also, your berries will impact that.

*note* If using frozen berries, let them defrost, then let them sit in paper towel for a while or the mix will come out WAY too watery!

@NicoleL874 I made a version of this yesterday with cottage cheese (cheaper than ricotta) and some cream cheese that came out amazing. I added almond extract, chopped cherries, and some dark chocolate chips...classic flavors in a new vehicle. It will be in our regular rotation for desserts. I was pressed for time so I wasn't precise about weighing and measuring but will the next time I make it so that I can calculate the nutritional values.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    This was my lunches all last week. I sauted some red peppers, garlic, and onion for more texture and flavor. http://www.briana-thomas.com/single-serve-lasagna-in-a-bowl/

My snacks/dessert for this week. I used sugar-free cheesecake pudding and frozen raspberries. http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/06/niks-protein-popsicles-strawberry.html?m=1

These are dinners and lunches this week: http://theeverydaymomma.blogspot.com/2013/09/food-fridays-mini-turkey-meatloafs.html

Big hit at my house: http://afterthesleeve.blogspot.com/2012/08/148-calorie-lasagna-cupcakes.html?m=1

Another hit: http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/melt-in-your-mouth-baked-chicken/a2b8eab0-906d-4af4-b2ab-80f578288d84

I created a board on Pinterest specifically for bariatric recipes. I've also found that Paleo and diabetic-friendly recipes work really well, they just have to be scaled down.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

1/3 cup Swerve sweetener
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla

@NicoleL874 I made a version of this yesterday with cottage cheese (cheaper than ricotta) and some cream cheese that came out amazing. I added almond extract, chopped cherries, and some dark chocolate chips...classic flavors in a new vehicle. It will be in our regular rotation for desserts. I was pressed for time so I wasn't precise about weighing and measuring but will the next time I make it so that I can calculate the nutritional values.

I made it with raspberries this time, but the nutritional values aren't horrible...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/234485520862333
  • Ultima_Morpha
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think that I have finally gotten my brownie recipe where I'd like it...

Fudgy Chocolate Bean Brownies
    16 servings

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8x8 pan with foil or parchment and grease.

100 grams dates, Medjool
    276 grams beans, Eden Organic Adzuki (this was a can drained and rinsed)
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs, extra large
    2 Tbsp oil, HEB Organics Refined Coconut
    100 grams pumpkin puree, canned
    31 grams protein powder, Syntrax Matrix Perfect Chocolate
    30 grams cocoa powder
    56 grams chocolate chips, Nestle Dark Chocolate
    1 packet Truvia

Throw everything but the chocolate chips in the food processor and start blending the heck out of it. Scrape the lid and sides, throw in the chocolate chocolate chips and pulse a few times to break them up and distribute them.

Pour into pan, level, and bake for 25-30 minutes. The edges should be set but the middle will still be a bit wiggly. Let cool for 15 minutes and then lift from the pan to cool completely. Cut into 16 squares.

Each brownie has...
    91 calories
    4 grams fat
    11 grams carbohydrates
    2 grams fiber
    6 grams sugar
    4 grams protein

• Ultima_Morpha
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think that I have finally gotten my brownie recipe where I'd like it...

Fudgy Chocolate Bean Brownies
    16 servings

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8x8 pan with foil or parchment and grease.

100 grams dates, Medjool
    276 grams beans, Eden Organic Adzuki (this was a can drained and rinsed)
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs, extra large
    2 Tbsp oil, HEB Organics Refined Coconut
    100 grams pumpkin puree, canned
    31 grams protein powder, Syntrax Matrix Perfect Chocolate
    30 grams cocoa powder
    56 grams chocolate chips, Nestle Dark Chocolate
    1 packet Truvia

Throw everything but the chocolate chips in the food processor and start blending the heck out of it. Scrape the lid and sides, throw in the chocolate chocolate chips and pulse a few times to break them up and distribute them.

Pour into pan, level, and bake for 25-30 minutes. The edges should be set but the middle will still be a bit wiggly. Let cool for 15 minutes and then lift from the pan to cool completely. Cut into 16 squares.

Each brownie has...
    91 calories
    4 grams fat
    11 grams carbohydrates
    2 grams fiber
    6 grams sugar
    4 grams protein

So...I'm revisiting the brownies this morning. They taste great but the texture still leaves something to be desired; they are more of a bread pudding texture than fudgy. I might drop the protein powder next time and make these a real treat instead of trying to sneak the extra protein in.

I ate a couple this warmed this morning with just a dab of peanut butter...I'm sure they will help me run fast and far!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Creamy Jalapeno Artichoke Dip

I picked up a Good Foods snack pack on a business trip this week at Target and it was super tasty so I whipped up my own version today. Simple, tasty, and satisfying!

I spread a 50 gram serving on an Aldi Fit & Active Flatbread and then a generous layer of spinach or spring mix for a yummy vegetarian lunch for around 200 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/239452626562749

Notes;
    -seeds were removed from the jalapenos
    -blend everything BUT the artichokes until combined...then throw them in and process to desired texture. I didn't do this and my artichokes are smaller than I would like
    -you could add salt and pepper, but I didn't find that it was needed
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I made these last night. They're amazing, very fudge-like. I cut them into 16 instead of 8 cause they are super rich.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/08/fudge-brownie-chocolate-protein-bars/

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I made these last night. They're amazing, very fudge-like. I cut them into 16 instead of 8 cause they are super rich.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/08/fudge-brownie-chocolate-protein-bars/

I may seriously have to try these - dos you taste the black bean at all?
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    "Green Stuff"

1 regular size lite whipped topping (generic cool whip)
    1 lb 1% cottage cheese
    1 box of sugar free fat free pistachio pudding
    1 small can of crushed pineapple with juices
    28 grams of Multi-Purpose Quest Protein Powder
    2 TBS Fairlife Milk 2%

Dump everything together, mix WELL. (next time I'll add the powders a little at a time, heh)

This made 10, 4 oz servings. Stats are a little high in carbs for me, but not bad since it's mostly the dairy and fruit. Cal: 144 Carb: 14 Protein: 10
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »

I may seriously have to try these - dos you taste the black bean at all?

Not at all! It tastes like fudge. It's amazing.