What is your weakness and how do you fight it

Options

Replies

• AKStuutels
    AKStuutels Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My weakness is bulk salt water taffee at the supermarket. That and my grocery store has a bakery with fresh doughnuts. I tell myself if I walk away I can have a good beer later. I guess I have a problem with foods I could eat on the way home from the store. If it never makes it to the kitchen it doesn't count, right?
  • KaliyanaFinney
    KaliyanaFinney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Being lazy.

I combat this by forcing myself to go to a gym a work before I go home. That way I have no excuse. I also have friends at work who re-enforce my need to exercise and call me out when I don't
  • erinerobb78
    erinerobb78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Craft beer for me. I live in a suburb of Portland, OR. So it's everywhere. Trying to switch to moderate light beer instead of complete abstinence.

I have the same prob...living in Chicago doesn't make it any easier! Haha
    I switched over to vodka only, recently, but I make sure to treat myself with 1 or 2 craft brews each week so I don't feel as deprived.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Lovethesnow35 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    For me? Ice cream. Even when I tell myself I don't want it, I do.
    I don't know if this is at all helpful but if you take frozen pineapple and berries and blend it you get a nice ice cream-like treat with less fat and calories. Also you get fiber for the win.

Very helpful! Thank u!
  • pcoley44
    pcoley44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My two biggest dietary struggles right now are the always tasty Taco Bell, and the wine and craft beers. I've been diverting my eyes when passing Taco Bells but ideally I'd like to just know its crap and I really don't want/need it. Craft beers and wine are a little bit harder to give up. I see I'm not the only one with this problem. One, it is so delicious. Two, my favorite place reminds me of Cheers or something. (You know, where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came and so on.) I've been trying to be good and only go out a few times a week and drink one bottle of water per beer. And perhaps, just maybe, dinners do not require wine. I've been takeing it one day and one foot at a time. Good luck to all of us. Oh, and CHEERS!!!
  • DarrellBSU
    DarrellBSU Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Beer... I love a wide variety including those high calorie IPAs. There's just so many excuses to enjoy one: Stressed out and need to relax, beautiful summer day, social gatherings, etc. Tracking my calories has helped because now if I want to have a beer at night, I make sure to compensate with my calorie intake during the day.
  • Mncyguy
    Mncyguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My two biggest weaknesses are stopping for treats in the morning between kid drop off and work and staying away from a well stocked soda fridge at work. I've been trying to do smoothies for breakfast so I already have something tasty in the car in the morning. I've also switched to coffee and unsweetened iced tea at work, which is at least better from a calories standpoint.
  • hatfield66
    hatfield66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Potato chips are my kryptonite. I don't think I'll ever fully beat them, I'm fighting for a draw at this point......
  • rcstrydom
    rcstrydom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My weakness is fast food! It's an emotional thing for me; whenever i feel sad i just go out and get a burger and the minute that fat and sugar hits my tongue it's bliss and i feel better. Since I commute to school as well (Go GSU Panthers!!) it's too easy to just grab Wendy's instead of taking lunch with me. So i've decided to plan my meals every week and take lunch with me and stuff like that. Cheaper and healthier!
  • iamnal
    iamnal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't a particular type of food but a tendency to spend too much time zoning out in front of netflix.

YES. I'm starting to look at my living room couch as The Enemy. My evenings are pretty sedentary. I think I may set an alarm on my FitBit to remind me to get off my butt. Summer is the perfect time for night walks!

My other weakness is poor time management and excuses. Once the school year starts up (I'm a teacher), I have a hard time fitting exercise into my schedule. But I try to remember what a friend once told me: "If you don't have enough time for exercise, then you don't have enough time." In other words, I need to prioritize.
  • Adams98
    Adams98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Booze just in general. Beer, wine, whiskey, rum it doesn't matter. I don't drink a ton but I drink at least one or two of those every day. I have been cutting back on the nights that I allow myself to have more than one drink. That's helped because I'm not cutting it completely out.
  • lmgroupiegirl
    lmgroupiegirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and sodas. I'm doing *much* better on the soda front, plus I found that cutting them has really helped with my migraines (they used to be triggered by a lack of caffeine, so I'd drink a soda to feel "better" only to find then my tummy felt worse). Chocolate....I'm never giving up chocolate. It just won't happen. I have stopped re-stocking the candy stash at work (only 2 of us in my dept, and I was the only one who really ate from it), so at least at work I won't binge on it.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Ice cream! I love Haagen Dazs.. I make a point if not keeping it in the house. Then, if I want it, I have to walk to the grocery store and buy a single serve portion. I get a cappuccino gelato about 1/2 cup (118 ml) , delicious and only 250 calories.
  • Yabbo1138
    Yabbo1138 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I honestly stopped giving all food so much power over me. The minute I start to think that I can't eat something, the more I want it. So I just stopped thinking of food as my enemy. Instead of having a huge bowl of ice cream, I will have the recommended half cup. Or maybe as I get a bowl for my son, I just eat a spoonful. It really does work for me. Maybe if anyone is compulsive like me, it'll work for you too!
  • tburant69
    tburant69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beer and cheese. The Wisconsin stereotype is real.
  • bandithansen
    bandithansen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My weakness appears to be whatever I am eating at the time. I can't seem to find the stop switch. I just had my first episode of diverticulitis and now I can eat very little until I heal, so maybe it will break the addiction.
  • KlickittyK
    KlickittyK Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one for whom booze is the biggest hurdle! God I just love cocktails. I love to make them, I love to go to swanky cocktail bars, I love them. Not all day or every day of course, but yeah. Oh and wine. God I just love wine. LOL I know I do sound like a giant alco. I'm really not, it's just that these are my Achilles Heel.
  • arrondo
    arrondo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    tburant69 wrote: »
    Beer and cheese. The Wisconsin stereotype is real.

You're not wrong! Sheboygan-born, myself, but moved to the west coast as a young boy. Cutting back on cheese & dairy has been the biggest challenge for me, too.

Added to that, my main source of income is a driving job, and major challenge #2 has been staying out of the drive-thrus that are EVERYWHERE. Finding portable yet healthy & filling food options to bring in to work has *really* helped me lose weight.
  • jblanscett
    jblanscett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sugar: candy, donuts and ice cream.
  • dominatrixsins
    dominatrixsins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    eating at restaurants is my biggest weakness since It's a favorite activity that my husband, friends and I share..