• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :)
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »

One more question for you both! I also have exercise-induced hypo... So halfway through a workout or training session, I get dizzy/faint/see stars and get a little weaker - especially after lifting really heavy. I have tried eating various things before, and not eating for a few hours before with mixed success. I also tried putting some diluted gatorade in my water bottle with a little success. Any suggestions?

I experienced that while on Metformin after dropping a bit of weight and that caused me to go off of it completely to avoid the problem. What did help a little while I was on the med was to suck on a Werther's caramel during the workout or try a roll of Smartees before you start the workout. I'd go through 2 or 3 caramel's during the workout and that seemed to get me through.

Crashing during the workout really sucks and I was seeing 50 point drops without crashing at times. Cardio workouts were fine, but strength/fitness training caused a huge problem.

Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Wow ok so maybe I will go ahead and give it a shot sooner! I am still a little worried about energy levels, and the whole dizzy thing, plus my life is kind of a disaster of events at the moment that dont allow me to organize and cook and be as prepared like I want... So I will spend a few weeks planning my approach (including SODIUM!) and pick a "start" date that will be as reasonable as possible.

I will also need to make up a WRITTEN list of what to do when I start to feel the panic (because part of the panic mode is that my brain does not function normally, so I cant make entirely rational decisions - its all impulsive save-my-life at that exact moment) as well as options for if I start to feel the "keto-flu", what options for sodium I can keep readily available, and what I can do proactively to try and prevent it.

I will also spend the next few weeks experimenting with options during workouts and see if I can resolve that sooner.

Thank you everyone! You have all been incredibly helpful :)

And don't forget, it doesn't have to be 20g. 50g or less is considered Keto. Some can do it at a higher level but with your carb sensitivity, I suspect you'll improve your insulin resistance even faster if you go as low as you can manage. But do think of what you can do comfortably going forward also.
    If nothing else, it should be an enlightening experiment. :smile:

Yes - i will definitely be starting out at the upper end - I might even try stepping down - 70-80 first, then 50-60, etc with a few weeks at each. Not real sure yet. I am excited to get some real data :)

Oh and just because I am so excited about even small victories - I had my lunch about an hour and a half ago - 2 turkey sausages with cheese and a small bowl of madras lentils - 340 cals, 16 fat, 25 protein and 20 carbs (hopefully the better kind). And an hour later not only am I full and satisfied but so far no shakes and not hunting for food :) Wow. I need about a dozen more combos like that lol. I am going to see how long I can go this afternoon without eating before I either get the shakes (I dont think is going to happen) or I get really hungry. I think I will buy the pork sausage next time instead of turkey - that will make it 500 calories, with 38 fat, 21 protein and 16 carbs. ANd compare if the increase in calories and fat let me go even longer, and still not get the shakes despite a small drop in carbs - and with identical volume :).

Awesome! Sounds like a good plan with the sausage too.
    Very excited for you!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »

One more question for you both! I also have exercise-induced hypo... So halfway through a workout or training session, I get dizzy/faint/see stars and get a little weaker - especially after lifting really heavy. I have tried eating various things before, and not eating for a few hours before with mixed success. I also tried putting some diluted gatorade in my water bottle with a little success. Any suggestions?

I experienced that while on Metformin after dropping a bit of weight and that caused me to go off of it completely to avoid the problem. What did help a little while I was on the med was to suck on a Werther's caramel during the workout or try a roll of Smartees before you start the workout. I'd go through 2 or 3 caramel's during the workout and that seemed to get me through.

Crashing during the workout really sucks and I was seeing 50 point drops without crashing at times. Cardio workouts were fine, but strength/fitness training caused a huge problem.

Good luck!

I am very similar! I can walk/run on the treadmill for 30 minutes with no issues, but a few heavy deadlifts and I can barely stand up. I am still not sure now if it is sugar related, electrolyte related, blood pressure related. I plan to experiment a little. I may try the caramel thing as one part of the experiment - that would be awesome if it worked because I love those :) but want to try the keto-ade too, and check my sugar during the workout to see if it is really even that.

Total side note - when I was first trying to "run" (at age 43, first time in my life and swore I couldnt because my jaw would hurt and I would get side stitches and gasp for air) I kept trying to get up to 2 miles at once and just could not do more than a few minutes at a time... One day I had a cough left over from a cold and put a methol type lemon cough drop in my mouth as I was starting. HOLY COW! 1) it forced me to close my mouth while running and breath through my nose - which I could never do before and mouth breathing is what made my jaw hurt and (2) the methol cleared up my sinuses so much breathing through my nose was easy. I made it the whole two miles in one shot that day for the first time. It was AWESOME Lol - now I keep a stash :)

Hey - those have a little sugar in them, I may try them in my experimenting too with weights! :)
  • aylajane
    Options
    Wow ok so maybe I will go ahead and give it a shot sooner! I am still a little worried about energy levels, and the whole dizzy thing, plus my life is kind of a disaster of events at the moment that dont allow me to organize and cook and be as prepared like I want... So I will spend a few weeks planning my approach (including SODIUM!) and pick a "start" date that will be as reasonable as possible.

I will also need to make up a WRITTEN list of what to do when I start to feel the panic (because part of the panic mode is that my brain does not function normally, so I cant make entirely rational decisions - its all impulsive save-my-life at that exact moment) as well as options for if I start to feel the "keto-flu", what options for sodium I can keep readily available, and what I can do proactively to try and prevent it.

I will also spend the next few weeks experimenting with options during workouts and see if I can resolve that sooner.

Thank you everyone! You have all been incredibly helpful :)

And don't forget, it doesn't have to be 20g. 50g or less is considered Keto. Some can do it at a higher level but with your carb sensitivity, I suspect you'll improve your insulin resistance even faster if you go as low as you can manage. But do think of what you can do comfortably going forward also.
    If nothing else, it should be an enlightening experiment. :smile:

Yes - i will definitely be starting out at the upper end - I might even try stepping down - 70-80 first, then 50-60, etc with a few weeks at each. Not real sure yet. I am excited to get some real data :)

Oh and just because I am so excited about even small victories - I had my lunch about an hour and a half ago - 2 turkey sausages with cheese and a small bowl of madras lentils - 340 cals, 16 fat, 25 protein and 20 carbs (hopefully the better kind). And an hour later not only am I full and satisfied but so far no shakes and not hunting for food :) Wow. I need about a dozen more combos like that lol. I am going to see how long I can go this afternoon without eating before I either get the shakes (I dont think is going to happen) or I get really hungry. I think I will buy the pork sausage next time instead of turkey - that will make it 500 calories, with 38 fat, 21 protein and 16 carbs. ANd compare if the increase in calories and fat let me go even longer, and still not get the shakes despite a small drop in carbs - and with identical volume :).

Awesome! Sounds like a good plan with the sausage too.
    Very excited for you!

Me too! I have hope for a change :) And tons of things to try - I was thinking I was running out of options :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you have gotten great advice already so I'm just here to cheer you on. Dang it this thing deleted my whole post :( keep us updated!
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    safety reminder: please do not operate machinery, cars when you are low. Your lows are pretty severe! Glad you are planning ahead .
  • aylajane
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    safety reminder: please do not operate machinery, cars when you are low. Your lows are pretty severe! Glad you are planning ahead .

Oh I know - I actually had a blood test (routine blood work) at the docs office and then left to go home one morning. They called me as I was walking in the door and said "if you are driving, pull over" lol - by BG was 40 on their test. But actually that was one time I didnt feel it other than being a little weak.

I keep snacks in the car just for this occasion, and I have a deathly fear of getting on an elevator with no food - if it breaks down, I *need* to have food with me :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

WHen you start shaking, did you check your blood glucose levels with a BG meter? If so, what was the reading?

If not, why not?

And are you taking any meds?

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Yes I did for several days (my mom and her husband are both T2D and live with me - we have a dozen meters around the house!). The readings range from 40-55 usually during those times. One particular day where I was truly seeing actual stars it was 38. I have also taken my BG other times to get a baseline, including first thing in the morning with no food, and those range in the low to mid 70s most of the time. After eating within the first hour it will get in the 80-90 range, and once in a great while (probably food dependent) it will hit 100. But rarely any higher. The highest I have EVER seen it is 111.

I am on no meds, though working on supplements - I take all powdered/instantized/ionized/easily absorable ones that you mix with water to dissolve first, so that i get a little better absorption since things dont stay in my stomach long. I take a multi vitamin/mineral one in the morning, a D complex around noon and a Magnesium complex at night.

Thats the opposite of me (bg levels)... but when I was taking diabetic meds, (insulin) I would go low all the time. Dozens of times. It is one of the worst feelings I have ever had.

The very worst time I went low (I live alone), once I woke up in the middle of the night, after several minutes of trying to think, I checked my BG and it registered a 19! By the grace of God, I made it to the fridge to eat something sugary.

Since you don't have trouble with high BG (almost everyone on this discussion group tries to get their BG's down)...Are you a skinny person?

I finally made it off all my meds with low carb/keto:

How I Got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto

In metabolic syndrome, our BG's go high, the body stores the sugar/carbs as fat and we gain weight. That's why most on this group ~ do low carb (and among many other health benefits) ~ we don't give our bodies a chance to go high.

I believe all these metabolic issues stem from a screwed up microbiota in our digestive system. I suspect one day the scientists will determine how correct it through a blend of probiotics.

Have you looked into gut microbiota? Their are some very healthy probiotic foods you could try, Milk Kefir is a very good one, its easy to make, and is a superfood. Kombucha if you're not doing dairy. Fermented foods and broad spectrum probiotics help too.

I hope this helps,
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• aylajane
    Options

WHen you start shaking, did you check your blood glucose levels with a BG meter? If so, what was the reading?

If not, why not?

And are you taking any meds?

I hope this helps,
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Yes I did for several days (my mom and her husband are both T2D and live with me - we have a dozen meters around the house!). The readings range from 40-55 usually during those times. One particular day where I was truly seeing actual stars it was 38. I have also taken my BG other times to get a baseline, including first thing in the morning with no food, and those range in the low to mid 70s most of the time. After eating within the first hour it will get in the 80-90 range, and once in a great while (probably food dependent) it will hit 100. But rarely any higher. The highest I have EVER seen it is 111.

I am on no meds, though working on supplements - I take all powdered/instantized/ionized/easily absorable ones that you mix with water to dissolve first, so that i get a little better absorption since things dont stay in my stomach long. I take a multi vitamin/mineral one in the morning, a D complex around noon and a Magnesium complex at night.

Thats the opposite of me (bg levels)... but when I was taking diabetic meds, (insulin) I would go low all the time. Dozens of times. It is one of the worst feelings I have ever had.

The very worst time I went low (I live alone), once I woke up in the middle of the night, after several minutes of trying to think, I checked my BG and it registered a 19! By the grace of God, I made it to the fridge to eat something sugary.

Since you don't have trouble with high BG (almost everyone on this discussion group tries to get their BG's down)...Are you a skinny person?

I finally made it off all my meds with low carb/keto:

How I Got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto

In metabolic syndrome, our BG's go high, the body stores the sugar/carbs as fat and we gain weight. That's why most on this group ~ do low carb (and among many other health benefits) ~ we don't give our bodies a chance to go high.

I believe all these metabolic issues stem from a screwed up microbiota in our digestive system. I suspect one day the scientists will determine how correct it through a blend of probiotics.

Have you looked into gut microbiota? Their are some very healthy probiotic foods you could try, Milk Kefir is a very good one, its easy to make, and is a superfood. Kombucha if you're not doing dairy. Fermented foods and broad spectrum probiotics help too.

I hope this helps,
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

I realize I am a little weird - I was overweight and on my way to T2D when I had WLS 5 years ago. I have been low since. I am not "skinny" :) but I am now average - 5'5 and 135-140 pounds with a lot of muscle (lift a few times a week, get 15k-20k steps most days). I have been at this weight and activity for over 2 years.

I have been following along this forum for quite awhile and I have read many of your posts and read your story and it is amazing! I Have used some of your advice on my son - I really think he has some gut issues! I havent really applied it to me though... I have researched probiotics to take but I get very confused very fast as there are so many!

I will take another look for myself this time and see what I think might be relevant to me and add some more experimenting in there. I was following another thread about DE too I was thinking about. I need time to do more research!

Thank you!