Team Challenge Two: Great Britain, End to End. Starts 1st May (join anytime)

Options

Replies

• BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Ok, if your steps/miles are showing green, then I've tallied them up. I've give it a few more hours before I do the official count, and will post an update in about 8 hours from now....
  • BigChangeNeeded
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok Team, here we go.

Once week to go, and we are.... SIXTY-SIX PERCENT OF THE WAY THERE! We've walked a massive 681.63 miles together, that's 1,536,316 steps - you guys are AMAZING!

ubacoq0io2c3.jpg

q41m1ijudwxo.jpg

In terms of where we are, we've walked clear past Liverpool, and are now only a couple of miles from one of my favourite places in the whole country (possibly the world!), Bridgnorth.

l2dzoaf7cq6a.jpg

If you don't mind, I'd like to give you a guided tour. We could find a nice country pub for lunch too! I've been to Bridgnorth a fair few times, its where my partner and I would love to live one day.

So, welcome to sunny Bridgnorth, a small town in the heart of the UK. You can either drive here (or walk, as we have), but you can get here on an authentic steam train, which pulls into the gorgeous station which has been kept in its 1940's style (with a very cosy little ale pub too!)

4y0phzj7yi11.jpg

9kfbvwhhecte.jpg

Bridgnorth is divided into two parts, High Town and Low Town, by the River Severn. Their named as such because, simply, High Town is much higher up than Low Town!

c2v1eygikrj2.jpg

You can travel between the two on the perfectly quaint vernacular railway, or you can climb the steps all the way to the top.

ueousolxeuxm.jpg

36yddnrfzwlj.jpg

As you walk up the steps, you'll pass some cute B&B's, and also the Theatre on the Steps, which is exactly what you think it is. Its a lovely local theatre, where you can see all manner of performances during the summer months. I once saw a stage performance of Stephen King's 'Misery' there - it was amazing!

Up in High Town, you can visit some small shops, have lunch in a nice little pub, or just see the sites. You never know, they might be hosting one of their 1940's events...

iag39bo78tqp.jpg
    014oqee3dbcw.jpg
    8lag1cl8nq3d.jpg

So, lets take a break in Bridgnorth, and rest our feet a while, before we hit the road again...

qc73xhcnfsyt.jpg

jlr38lczetl6.jpg

m09h7av57w8w.jpg

• schmitz17
    schmitz17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It looks beautiful here! Glad I got to visit it on our walk.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Damn it, I just realised my autocorrect changed a couple of the words in my post! It's a funicular railway, not vernacular!
  • audrey13027
    audrey13027 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Damn it, I just realised my autocorrect changed a couple of the words in my post! It's a funicular railway, not vernacular!

*giggling* ...I figured it was just some weird/posh British way of saying funicular!! :D:p
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    *giggling* ...I figured it was just some weird/posh British way of saying funicular!! :D:p

Trust me, I'm anything but posh, ha ha. I'm from one of the more working class areas of England (my dad was a factory line worker and my mum was a school lunch/dinner lady), and my accent shows it! Luckily, it doesn't come across in my posts :smile:
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Shameless bump time as we're only one day off finishing the walk.

We may not quite reach the finish line, but it will be great to see exactly what we managed in the month.

Once the 31st has passed, I'll give it a couple of days to let everyone fill their steps/miles/kms in, and then I'll post the total.

Based on my exam, and work, schedules at the mo, I'll be looking to start the next challenge in either mid-June, or the beginning of July. Be sure to voice your opinions here: Pick our next challenge!
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok folks, I'm tallying up our total for the month, so if you haven't added your steps/miles/KMs yet, please do so asap and I'll let you all know later just how we did....
  • arlenestrohmaier
    arlenestrohmaier Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    not that it will be much help, but May 31, I had 4524 steps, 1.98 miles it wouldn't let me add it.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    not that it will be much help, but May 31, I had 4524 steps, 1.98 miles it wouldn't let me add it.

I think you may have been trying when I was logged onto it, as I could see someone else logged in (but Google doesn't show you who it is). I'll add that on for you, and post the update in a couple of hours....
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok, folks, here we go...

At the end of our month long adventure, we have walked a massive...

5tq6c7dztjbr.jpg

steps!!!

WOO HOO!! That's amazing!

il8salk3rqgy.jpg

As for our challenge, well, we haven't quite reached the finish line, but we're 75% of the way there. We've walked over 750 miles in total, with a little over 200 to go.

3x5xh9w3cy61.jpg

uwybvvavl760.jpg

I've added in an extra grid on the spreadsheet so we can keep logging until we hit the target (which also gives me enough time to set up the next challenge).

So, keep adding your numbers, fellow Team Awesome walkers, we'll cross that finishing line soon enough.
  • schmitz17
    schmitz17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just added my steps for the end of May. I have been a little busy and forgot to add my steps.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    schmitz17 wrote: »
    Sorry, I just added my steps for the end of May. I have been a little busy and forgot to add my steps.

Awesome, thank you :smiley:

I'll add them on and post another update shortly...
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok, its a little overdue, but here is an update.

9lgl326qwv48.jpg

We're so close now! We just need to get that home stretch completed. We can do it, go Team Awesome!

tumblr_mvvjf6QSxu1sm5e95o1_250.gif
  • BigChangeNeeded
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ok, another update.

We've nearly reached TWO MILLION steps! How amazing is that? Plus, we're now 83% of the way towards the finishing line. Keep stepping, folks.

gbdqdr8l0bjl.jpg

Also, I'm going to post details of the next challenge later today.....
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread, as we're now at 87%, but only a couple of people are still adding.

I'm going to give this one a day or two more, and then call an end to it, I think. If people have lost interest in this one, then hopefully they'll join one of the new challenges. Hopefully...

2jlaq64ds0kz.jpg
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    89% of the way done, and over TWO 9djqbi9yk34m.jpg
    MILLION steps!!
  • Groto1980
    Groto1980 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can i join this, if so should i go back to May 1st? I have a fitbit and have all the saved info.
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Groto1980 wrote: »
    Can i join this, if so should i go back to May 1st? I have a fitbit and have all the saved info.
    We are starting 3 new ones really soon a short weekend one a longer one and a really big one can't remember where though
    @BigChangeNeeded has the spread sheet of where we are going :smile: do we have starting dates yet ??
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    sharondjs wrote: »
    Groto1980 wrote: »
    We are starting 3 new ones really soon a short weekend one a longer one and a really big one can't remember where though
    @BigChangeNeeded has the spread sheet of where we are going :smile: do we have starting dates yet ??

So, firstly, if you want to add all your May steps, that would be awesome!

I'm about to set up a week challenge, and a weekend challenge, but these will be independent of any dates/steps already used, so add up to what you like, and I'll post the new challenges asap.