Building Muscle in our "old" age

rlehner
rlehner Posts: 33 Member
Hello Everyone...I am well within my normal weight range just looking to build muscle. I dont want to be skinny!!! Especially with hitting the big 40 ...its more important than ever to build lean muscle!! Anyone with me?

Replies

• KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    I am! I am a IIFYM lover and am working with weights daily!
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Agreed!!!
  • SwissDave
    SwissDave Posts: 57 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yes! I want to build a bit more muscle before my 50th next year. It seems to me that clean eating and high protein are as important as weight training, I'm using a 3 day split with mostly body weight exercises and a bit of dumbbell work thrown in, cardio is a 5k run every other day.
  • rlehner
    i used to ride a stationary bike 5 days a week for a hour...i have cut back to a half hour and have started strength training ...I did not eat enough before...basically starving myself during the week to binge on the weekend...I have now incorporated a program to help me better my results.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    I'm back to strength training as well as the cardio. Have started power sled training as well - will see how that goes. The first time was really hard but a great workout. Feel free to add me as friend
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Lift heavy, lots of protein and the right amount of good carbs. I lift heave for one month straight while out at sea , then take it easy when I'm home to heal. I've seen great results in strength and muscle mass.
  • rlehner
    Do you think your own body weight is enough in the start ? My muscles are soar and I'm only using my own body weight!
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Yes, most definitely. Start off easy but you still want to feel a little sore. Gradually work up to heavier, but listen to your body. Last thing you want is tearing biceps, etc.
  • jjgrambor
    jjgrambor Posts: 7 Member
    Hello my name is Jenny and I have lost 60+ pounds and now I'm at a normal BMI. I started with using my body weight over the last year and in the last 2 months I have been lifting heavy 5 to 6 days a week in the gym. I have already noticed a huge change in my body. I'm looking more toned. I'll be 41 this year and I feel the best I have ever felt in my life. The hardest thing for me is getting enough protein in through out the day. I know you feel sore when you start out and that is great! That means it's working. drink lots of water, I try to get a gallon to gallon 1/2 a day. If you aren't sore anymore then you need to up your weights. I used to have to do girl push-ups now I can do 30 reg. I started with live strong HIIT training free videos and it's a great workout, now I use that for my cardio and I go on bodyspace to find different programs to work all muscles in the gym. Good luck to you.
  • rlehner
    Another day of 30 min cardio followed by my strength training. Started using resistance bands. I don't currently own any weights over three lbs. I am strong (I was a national level gymnast until high school ended. Been a life long battle with my weight since then !!
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Absolutely you can start with body weight! @rlerner you're going to love the changes you see as you start lifting heavier and heavier.

So excited to read all the progress you gals are having! Strength training is the best thing we can do to fight aging. I've been lifting for about 4 years and got my personal training certificate a year ago. If you're starting out and have any question I'd be happy to help.
  • meeta5569
    meeta5569 Posts: 1 Member
    @modmom1 What advice would you give someone just starting out, I've never done a lot if anything with weights? I used to run and do yoga but have been really sedentary for a couple years except for walking approximately 2+ miles a day. I'm a 47 yo woman, and know that strength/weight training is extremely important at my age.
    Also, any motivation tips anyone can give to get back to exercising after a long break would be most appreciated!! I have about 40+ pounds to lose but am concerned about overall health. Thanks all!