Keto Meal Options for one Who Doesn't Cook

Options
caharris7
caharris7 Posts: 14 Member
Hi! I am just starting to plan my Keto meals, but my one obstacle is that I don't like to cook...like not at all. I have been doing Paleo for 3 years and cooking eggs almost every morning and the thought of cooking eggs....UGH. Looking at Keto options, It looks like I can do BP coffee (which I love), then even a bowl of mixed nuts with Coconut Milk (full-fat) for early lunch, and maybe a salad for dinner with full-fat cheese slice, protein and olive oil, maybe.

I really like what I read about Keto, and I'm ready to make the change but I like to have my meals planned, just nothing that takes a ton of time or cooking. I even was doing a 'meal cook prep day' on Sundays and it wore me out and don't care to spend my Sundays in the kitchen cooking.

Anyone have any other ideas for some easy meals that don't require a bunch of cooking, for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Thanks for your help, with this newbie!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    nuts + coconut milk as a meal could cause digestive distress, so I dunno if I'd make that a go-to choice.

If you've been paleo for 3 years, seems like you'd have this problem licked by now?

With keto being higher fat than protein or carbs, you will probably be cooking less meat and veggies than you have been, so I think some of what you're concerned about will take care of itself.
  • caharris7
    caharris7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    nuts + coconut milk as a meal could cause digestive distress, so I dunno if I'd make that a go-to choice.

If you've been paleo for 3 years, seems like you'd have this problem licked by now?

With keto being higher fat than protein or carbs, you will probably be cooking less meat and veggies than you have been, so I think some of what you're concerned about will take care of itself.

You have a point! I've been on Instagram and Pinterest and see there are lots of options that are not tons of veggies (like I have been having) and less meat. I did all that on Paleo, but I hit a burn-out of meal prep, roasting veggies, etc every weekend. Was hoping to find some good easy/simple options. I don't mind cooking....I just hate how much time it takes. I'll keep searching these Instagram accounts for some good easy options other than nuts. Thanks!
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just some simple ideas,,,
    - tuna salad, mayo, green onion eaten with celery sticks
    - Routisserie chicken bought from store, steam some frozen veggies ( no roasting and already prepped)
    - - use leftover chicken the next day and make a chicken Caesar salad, or simple chicken salad with mayo etc
    - The next day boil the carcass , add seasonings and veggies and you have chicken soup
    - Celery with nut butter
    - Poached egg over steamed asparagus
    - Already cooked shrimp from freezer section
    - My fav lunch is 1/2 avacado, slices of cheese, few olives and 1/4 cup of nuts just on a plate. I call it a plate of stuff.

Just some things I've made and like
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Takeaway kebab meat and salad.. lol! (I'm half serious - got me through 2 days in 1 week where I was farrrr to tired to cook)
  • TheBuffster40
    TheBuffster40 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How about making sauces or differently flavoured mayo to have with meat? Something herby/lemony, something mustardy, something with capers and gherkins something with curry or chilli. Keeps it varied. I'm making sauces with cream cheese and yoghurt or making mayo snd then dividing into smaller containers for different flavours. Easy.
  • cmpinaz
    cmpinaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made Turkey Avocado rollups for lunch yesterday and it was good and filling. I'm new to Keto, so not sure turkey deli meat is the best choice, but it fit well into my macros for the day. 3 slices (3.5 oz) Primo Taglio Peppered Turkey Breast, 1 Tbsp real mayonnaise, 1/2 Avocado, seasonings, 1 cup greens & spinach mix. Mash avocado with mayo and seasonings (I used salt, pepper and chipotle seasoning). Roll 1/3 of lettuce mix and 1/3 of avocado mash in each of the three slices of turkey. I had 3 mini kosher dill pickles with it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of do what you need to do to get by until you can do better. Roasting a whole chicken, pork loin, or beef roast (or all of the above) on a Sunday or day off can be really helpful to have quick to reheat stuff available. I like pepperoni/salami/ham roll ups with any kind of cheese and a pickle spear in the middle. Things like fat bombs that can be made in batches and frozen...

I also tend to batch cook - 3-5 pounds of ground beef at a time can become burger in a bowl, stronganoff soup, or taco meat - or even tossed into crack slaw (another good batch meal). I'm not a huge fan of spending hours in the kitchen every single day either, tbh. I like to steam veggies on the stove/rice cooker for meals, rather than roasting. Spaghetti squash is great in the crock pot - poke holes, 1 inch of water, low for 3-4 hours, high for 1-2 hours, depending on your needs. Doesn't burn, easy out, etc. Then, I do butter in a skillet, saute it a bit, add my meat, a few tbsp of heavy cream, shredded cheese of choice, just until all melted together... super easy.
  • cmpinaz
    cmpinaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Spaghetti squash is great in the crock pot - poke holes, 1 inch of water, low for 3-4 hours, high for 1-2 hours, depending on your needs. Doesn't burn, easy out, etc.
    Do you cut the squash in half or put it into the crock pot whole?

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @cmpinaz You poke some holes in it with a fork and leave it whole. It steams beautifully!
  • kirkor
    Options
    I never do the fork hole thing --- seems that holes would let steam out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @kirkor - so you steam it in the crockpot without holes?? Just wanting to understand. I was just following the instructions my friend gave.
  • kirkor
    Options
    I haven't specifically put a spaghetti squash in a crock pot, but I was speaking more to the general practice of poking holes. I suppose it might matter more in a microwave where the pressure can spike quicker ... maybe I've just been lucky in that I haven't had a squash or potato (in my pre-low carb days) explode!
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it simple. There are a few recipes I love and cook couple times a week, but for the most part I do I lot of easy, don't have to think/worry about the carbs foods. Like beef patties, eggs, bacon, cream cheese pancakes, grilled chicken etc. Like tonight, I had egg salad and bacon, simple things like that.