Gallup poll says 30% of American think low carb is the way to lose weight, up from 22%

Options
walker1world
walker1world Posts: 259 Member
http://www.gallup.com/poll/156710/Americans-Say-Low-Fat-Diet-Better-Low-Car.aspx?utm_source=genericbutton&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=sharing

Even though this article is written to favor the low fat world what I think they are missing is with the establishment pushing against the low carb world it is growing in creditability. That disproves the fad myth. If there was no success with this lifestyle more people would not be flocking to it.

Where do you think this number will be in 6 note years?

Replies

• walker1world
    Options
    This study was done in 2012.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I was surprised that women favored LC more than men. I would have thought men woud be more likely to go for a fatty diet.
  • walker1world
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Interesting... I was surprised that women favored LC more than men. I would have thought men woud be more likely to go for a fatty diet.

Yes it is suprising.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/156710/Americans-Say-Low-Fat-Diet-Better-Low-Car.aspx?utm_source=genericbutton&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=sharing

Even though this article is written to favor the low fat world what I think they are missing is with the establishment pushing against the low carb world it is growing in creditability.

That disproves the fad myth. If there was no success with this lifestyle more people would not be flocking to it.

Respectfully, I'm actually not convinced that the bold is true.

What the mainstream believes likely doesn't correlate with what is actually credible as evidenced by the popularity of an overabundance of dietary pseudoscience.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Even though this article is written to favor the low fat world what I think they are missing is with the establishment pushing against the low carb world it is growing in creditability.

That disproves the fad myth. If there was no success with this lifestyle more people would not be flocking to it.

What the mainstream believes likely doesn't correlate with what is actually credible as evidenced by the popularity of an overabundance of dietary pseudoscience.

The bolded is true of the low fat diet "fad". It obviously didn't work, many people got fat on it, but most still believe it is the way to go.

It's amazing the influence that government guildelines can have.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Beer, chips, spray cheese, & chewing tobacco = LC?

(Maybe it depends on how you cook the tobacco...)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would think its going up every year for three reasons:

1) More studies are confirming that it is not only a good weight loss diet, but it is very healthy, especially for diabetics.
    2) When people lose a LOT of weight, people see it and ask how. Low carb & ketogenic will be known by more and more people. I know personally, dozens of people have asked me. It propagates. I coached a lady that I didn't even know, when her father (my casual friend) ~ told her about my loss.
    3) More and more people find out that it truly reduces hunger, the main disadvantage to a LOW fat diet.

Its probably around 40% now, maybe more.

Dan
  • walker1world
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I don't get it?
  • walker1world
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

The bolded is true of the low fat diet "fad". It obviously didn't work, many people got fat on it, but most still believe it is the way to go.

It's amazing the influence that government guildelines can have.

I think you nailed it, people under estimate the influence the goverment has on our lives.
  • walker1world
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I would think its going up every year for three reasons:

1) More studies are confirming that it is not only a good weight loss diet, but it is very healthy, especially for diabetics.
    2) When people lose a LOT of weight, people see it and ask how. Low carb & ketogenic will be known by more and more people. I know personally, dozens of people have asked me. It propagates. I coached a lady that I didn't even know, when her father (my casual friend) ~ told her about my loss.
    3) More and more people find out that it truly reduces hunger, the main disadvantage to a LOW fat diet.

Its probably around 40% now, maybe more.

Dan

I hope so,
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    22% or 30% is A LOT OF PEOPLE, that is a huge percentage and hopefully the numbers are correct. But even TEN percent would be, population wise, many people who support our way of eating.

I know this is how the Joe Average thinks because, and i've written this here before, when i'm asked how i "lost the weight" my answer is always--"""i cut out the whites, i.e. cut out flour, pasta, sugar, rice, potatoes , french fries (i have a couple but not more than two or three from my girlfriend's plate)""" everyone says "YES, that is a wonderful way to drop extra pounds"

So ppl are aware that the Low carb part is an excellent lifestyle---i have yet to explain the rest of our WOE to anyone. No one has yet pressed me beyond the "cut out the whites" answer.

Now, to be clear, i'm not hiding the high fat part, this past week i had dinner out twice with the group of girlfriends, we're together a lot and they see me and notice me asking for extra pats of butter, they have observed the High Fat lifestyle because it is all out front.

So yes, people are aware that simple sugars and processed carbs, cookies, too many chips etc, lead to heavy bodies.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I don't get it?

@walker1world....@RalfLott was joking. His comments are often humorous in tone. ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

I don't get it?

@walker1world....@RalfLott was joking. His comments are often humorous in tone. ;)

Why, I resemble that remark...

Howard_Curly.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    30% is pretty good. It should be closer to 50% considering how many people have IR (prediabetes, T2D, NAFLD, PCOS) and CAD.

LOL :D Since you don't swallow the tabacco (HOPEFULLY) I suppose that it could be considered low carb.... Sounds like a Clinton line. "I only chewed. I didn't swallow those carbs."
  • RalfLott
    Options
    30% is pretty good. It should be closer to 50% considering how many people have IR (prediabetes, T2D, NAFLD, PCOS) and CAD.

LOL :D Since you don't swallow the tabacco (HOPEFULLY) I suppose that it could be considered low carb.... Sounds like a Clinton line. "I only chewed. I didn't swallow those carbs."

Hahahaaaaa!

It's all fiber anyhow by the time you've masticated the flavor out of it. 0 net carbs, ergo 0 swallow.

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo

"30% is pretty good. It should be closer to 50% considering how many people have IR (prediabetes, T2D, NAFLD, PCOS) and CAD."

True True True!!!
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Hahahaaaaa!

It's all fiber anyhow by the time you've masticated the flavor out of it. 0 net carbs, ergo 0 swallow.

LOL :D
  • walker1world
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

I don't get it?

I was Joking as well. I figured that was part of the post.