Coconut Oil, MCTs, Ketones & Alzheimer's

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
FYI - Just ran across this gripping presentation by neonatologist Dr. Mary Newport on the revival of some aspects of her husband's cognitive abilities and personality after starting him on coconut oil (an idea stimulated by federal MCT therapy trials):

https://youtu.be/feyydeMFWy4

There's also a website....
http://www.coconutketones.com/

...and a book:
https://www.amazon.com/Alzheimers-Disease-There-Story-Ketones/dp/1591202930

[Ahoy, @dragonwolf @baconslave - possible Launchpad items]

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - Interesting to hear. I have often wondered how many different routes (direct or otherwise) the various ketophiles here have taken to reach the same general neck of the woods.

If you had to name your 5 or 10 most influential resources (people, books, lectures, etc) - what might they be?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It's a lovely idea if you can get the person with dementia to eat it. Right now that is the problem that my parents are having. Mom has dementia (still moderate) and her tastes change drastically from day to day. It can be hard to get any nutrition into her at all sometimes. She swings wildly from not even being able to look at meat or eggs to only wanting certain types of fruit to eating only shrimp, etc. 'Treatment' isn't always that simple.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links, @RalfLott....I will try to look at them after work...I saw a small photo of this somewhere, or a close second...It showed how her husband's brain had multiplied in size after adding coconut oil...and his symptoms had improved greatly...
    I believe we are starving our brains due to years of low fat plus all the chemicals and preservatives...and memory is fading.... so this should be an interesting read.
    I came about LCHF after a T2D diagnosis. I had started trying to cut out sugars and carbs, same as @GaleHawkins and realized there was a" group for that"!! : )
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins - Interesting to hear. I have often wondered how many different routes (direct or otherwise) the various ketophiles here have taken to reach the same general neck of the woods.

If you had to name your 5 or 10 most influential resources (people, books, lectures, etc) - what might they be?

That would be interesting to hear. I joined the forum to read personal experiences as to how LCHF effected individual's cholesterol. I was shocked when 2 women mentioned Cervical Dystonia aka Spasmodic Torticollis (considered a rare disorder) and was even more shocked that both indicated LCHF eating minimizes their involuntary muscle contractions.

I too have Cervical Dystonia/Spasmodic Torticollis. I have hope.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen that video yet. I will watch it later. Thank you for the link.

Her book is great! Good reading for anyone with Alzheimer's in the family, or who is getting older, really....

Excellent questions! I am going to steal this and start another thread on it. Great idea!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I haven't seen that video yet. I will watch it later. Thank you for the link.

Her book is great! Good reading for anyone with Alzheimer's in the family, or who is getting older, really....

Excellent questions! I am going to steal this and start another thread on it. Great idea!

Please post the link when you do.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    It's a lovely idea if you can get the person with dementia to eat it. Right now that is the problem that my parents are having. Mom has dementia (still moderate) and her tastes change drastically from day to day. It can be hard to get any nutrition into her at all sometimes. She swings wildly from not even being able to look at meat or eggs to only wanting certain types of fruit to eating only shrimp, etc. 'Treatment' isn't always that simple.

@canadjineh - Have you tried having a bevy of frozen or refrigerated fat bombs available - in both sweet and savory applications? Most can use a significant bit of coconut oil in them. I've had them in faux yogurt form, cheesecake form (unflavored, strawberry, peach, raspberry, etc.), meltaways in chocolate/lemon/cinnamon/peanut butter form, egg form, bacon/guacamole form, and so many others... If you have multiple options available, it might make it easier. If in doubt, they make coconut oil in capsule form, if she can do that. Rubbing it into the skin in a lotion is a lower absorption, but still works, etc.

kpk54 wrote: »

That would be interesting to hear. I joined the forum to read personal experiences as to how LCHF effected individual's cholesterol. I was shocked when 2 women mentioned Cervical Dystonia aka Spasmodic Torticollis (considered a rare disorder) and was even more shocked that both indicated LCHF eating minimizes their involuntary muscle contractions.

I too have Cervical Dystonia/Spasmodic Torticollis. I have hope.

One of our members her, @kimbo8435, if I am not mistaken, has this condition and has had dramatic success on a ketogenic dietary plan!! I can't find the posts she made in group, but this is a partial status she made about 3 months ago. I believe she's working on research to help other patients, as well...

It's official. I've been on keto for 10 weeks this week and I've had NO dystonic tremors. Zero. Nada. I've not even gotten a feeling like my body was going to tremor. 10 weeks means that it is not a "placebo effect" and that this is actually working. 20 carbs is where I'm at, and with all you guys's help... I'm finding this is the easiest solution. I didn't expect that the answer to my neuro problems was just changing the way I ate. I expected it to be deep brain stimulation or another brain surgery or something... instead I GET to take the easy, non-invasive route! I'm emailing my neurologists today!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @knitormiss, Thanks for posting the above. She was 1 of the 2 I mentioned but I've not seen anything else from her since regarding dystonia. Thank you!! Appreciate it!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This is bittersweet. I'm happy for developments in this area of medicine, but hardly anyone in the local medical community even knew what kind of dementia my dad was suffering from over 12 years ago--which doesn't sound like a long time, but a lot has changed in this world, since 2004 (the year he died). I mean, Twitter didn't even exist yet, and FB was still just a few months old...and still exclusive to only certain people.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful talk! Want to try this with my files! I've been telling my mil to increase his fat since reading "Grain Brain" but she is part of the low fat generation! Maybe this will convince her more!

Thank you for posting!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Great video! I knew it would be! I love her husbands story!
    That story, along with everything else I've learned about ketones is what made me decide to be Keto for life. I don't have any health issues, but my ADHD symptoms are very apparent in my everyday life and have definitely held me back in many ways. Even after beginning a stimulant medication only since I've been an adult, it's only helped me focus but has limitations.
    Since adding a concentrated MCT oil daily, I was able to reduce the dosage of the stimulant medication by 1/3. Hopefully, it will not be necessary at all in the future. :smile:
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think I need to take more coconut oil daily, but cannot find a recommended amount, other than 1 TBSP 3x a day. Is that what everyone else takes? I have searched Launchpad and didn't see that topic.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @kmn118 for a long time I took 3-5 tablespoons in my first cup of coffee. When I recently stopped using dairy I stopped the coffee. Now I put 1 tablespoon in my first cup of tea each morning. I just never to get into MCT oil but love coconut oil.
  • kmn118
    Options
    Thank you, GaleHawkins. At last, specific information. :smile: I haven't bought MCT oil either, as coconut oil is readily available and reasonably priced.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    With this hot weather I have ditched a lot of fats for my eating. Side effect I have lost 10 pounds in last 3 weeks.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    Thank you, GaleHawkins. At last, specific information. :smile: I haven't bought MCT oil either, as coconut oil is readily available and reasonably priced.

There's no specific "dosage" because it varies widely from person to person. Mostly due to varying amounts that cause digestive issues for some people. One person might be 1 teaspoon and running to the toilet. Another might take 8 tablespoons before that happens.
    And then there's wether or not you intend to count the calories. If you do, you might have trouble fitting more than a couple tablespoons a day in.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I think I need to take more coconut oil daily, but cannot find a recommended amount, other than 1 TBSP 3x a day. Is that what everyone else takes? I have searched Launchpad and didn't see that topic.

I can't exceed about 3 TBS or I pay for it the next day, especially if I am taking a magnesium supplement too.
  • kmn118
    Options
    Thanks, @Sunny_Bunny and @nvmomketo, for the warnings... good thing I don't have plans this weekend. Lol