Coconut Oil, MCTs, Ketones & Alzheimer's

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I think I need to take more coconut oil daily, but cannot find a recommended amount, other than 1 TBSP 3x a day. Is that what everyone else takes? I have searched Launchpad and didn't see that topic.

I can't exceed about 3 TBS or I pay for it the next day, especially if I am taking a magnesium supplement too.
    Thanks, @Sunny_Bunny and @nvmomketo, for the warnings... good thing I don't have plans this weekend. Lol

And im one of those that could probably have 8tbs with no problem. Lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    My gastrointestinal response to one tbsp, or less (mixed in a 24 oz. Size cup of coffee!), is almost immediate! So weird how we all respond differently!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    @Sunny_Bunny_ me too, but my mum can only handle 1 tbsp or less.
    @Karlottap you're so right!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Re dosage for Axona (Nutriceutical): 10g/4-8oz H2O once daily postprandial/post meal titrated up by 10g (same volume H2O) every 2 days to a MAX of 40g/day. Rough estimate would be 10g is about equal to 10mL (2/3 tbsp)...density is 0.93-0.96g/mL
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    I think I need to take more coconut oil daily, but cannot find a recommended amount, other than 1 TBSP 3x a day. Is that what everyone else takes? I have searched Launchpad and didn't see that topic.

I can't exceed about 3 TBS or I pay for it the next day, especially if I am taking a magnesium supplement too.

@nvmomketo - Do the brands or types (refined v. unrefined) make any difference?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    I can do more when it's mixed with other fats into a fat bomb style consumption. I could tolerate some in my Loaded Tea when I was making it, but I was never a huge fan of it all. I really ought to start incorporating it again, now that I've resolved the worst of my digestive dramas with all my fats... I'm just not making many fat bombs lately, and not doing the tea anymore (histamines/migraines), so it's just gone to the back burner... I have MCT, too, and the only issues I had with it were on a empty stomach. I could tolerate 1-2TBSP easily of MCT... 1/2-1 TBSP was about my max with CO...though it did make a great sunscreen when combined with zinc oxide! LOL

@RalfLott Refined or unrefined, organic, virgin, none of those things really made a noticeable difference for me. It was all volume. All of the CO consumption warnings and MCT directions suggest starting slowly and working up over a few days. The MCT I had said 1/2 tsp up to 3 times daily start, adjusting as needed.
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2016
    I am apparently able to suck down more coconut oil than many folks (up to 4 tbsps.), though metformin was my literal Water-loo.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    @SunnyBunny, you mentioned a concentrated source of MCT. What product do you use and do you get less calories than the usual from other oils. Thanks
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Thank you, GaleHawkins. At last, specific information. :smile: I haven't bought MCT oil either, as coconut oil is readily available and reasonably priced.

And then there's wether or not you intend to count the calories. If you do, you might have trouble fitting more than a couple tablespoons a day in.

This is true. Bums me out. :( Since doubling my BPC coffee amount I thought to double the recipe ( 2 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp hwc) but its eating up my calories. I'm scared of going too much over my calories. And I am listening to the Keto'ers advice to "EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY" which is not often with the BPC but I hate seeing those calories creeping :(
  • RalfLott
    genmon00 wrote: »
    This is true. Bums me out. :( Since doubling my BPC coffee amount I thought to double the recipe ( 2 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp hwc) but its eating up my calories. I'm scared of going too much over my calories. And I am listening to the Keto'ers advice to "EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY" which is not often with the BPC but I hate seeing those calories creeping :(

I'm with you. I count carbs, too, as I am pretty sure I've proven to myself that my weight will nudge up if I only count protein and carbs but not fat or calories.

A rough application of "Eat (fat) when you're hungry" may be that once you've hit your carb limit and protein target, then IF you're hungry, you're ok if you concentrate on healthy fats, reasoning that if you're in ketosis and burning fat anyhow, then your body won't throw you onto the Jersey Turnpike if that's the fuel you give it.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I am apparently able to suck down more coconut oil than many folks (up to 4 tbsps.), though metformin was my literal Water-loo.

How were you able to get off Metformin (guessing you are off bc you said 'was')? Were your BG readings eventually low enough that taking them meant you'd be TOO low? I'm having troubled with this right now. My doc wouldn't approve my refill request til she saw me in the lab. They want the urinalysis to check my liver/kidneys and I have to also get my A1C blood draw done again. I'm nervous, because even though I've been keto for a little over a month now, my fasting numbers are still high (like, HIGH. 200+) eeeeeek!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

I haven't noticed any difference. I tend to stick with unrefined though - I like the coconut taste.
  • RalfLott

I haven't noticed any difference. I tend to stick with unrefined though - I like the coconut taste.

Yep. Don't see much reason to go refined - unless it's to smear on your ke-toned body while you're vacationing near the equator, and you really need the higher flash point.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    batlott wrote: »
    @SunnyBunny, you mentioned a concentrated source of MCT. What product do you use and do you get less calories than the usual from other oils. Thanks

The one I buy is MiCkeyT 8 from Amazon. It has 13.6g caprylic acid per tablespoon. I think it's 120 calories, so pretty much the same as anything else. It's just a concentrated caprylic acid (C8) variety. That's the really short chain fatty acid that the brain will use immediately even preferentially to glucose. So even people that eat a high carb diet can get some ketones for their brain!
    Other MCT oils only have about 7g or less caprylic acid per tablespoon and the rest is capric (C10) and lauric (C12), which are not as fast acting for brain energy. But, they are still very good options for supplementing for that purpose and much less expensive. I'll use a cheaper one in times my budget doesn't allow my favorite higher concentrated one.
    Just for comparison, Dave Asprey's Brain Octane is 15g caprylic per tablespoon.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited July 2016
    Thank you, GaleHawkins. At last, specific information. :smile: I haven't bought MCT oil either, as coconut oil is readily available and reasonably priced.

And then there's wether or not you intend to count the calories. If you do, you might have trouble fitting more than a couple tablespoons a day in.

I make my first cup of coffee my "supplement cup". I put the MCT and a couple other supplements in it with about a tablespoon of coconut milk and any additional cups I drink after that, I only add coconut milk to. (Or HWC if you prefer) Every cup you have doesn't need to be Bulletproof style. But, if that's what it takes to control hunger, then stick with it. You might find as insulin resistance diminishes, that hunger control improves too and you may not need as much fat added to stay satisfied til lunch. I think I recall you saying you were IR???
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member

I make my first cup of coffee my "supplement cup". I put the MCT and a couple other supplements in it with about a tablespoon of coconut milk and any additional cups I drink after that, I only add coconut milk to. (Or HWC if you prefer) Every cup you have doesn't need to be Bulletproof style. But, if that's what it takes to control hunger, then stick with it. You might find as insulin resistance diminishes, that hunger control improves too and you may not need as much fat added to stay satisfied til lunch. I think I recall you saying you were IR???

yes I'm T2D. I was doing fine on one cup of bpc but by 12 I'd be ravenous and my lunch isn't until 1:30 on most days, that's why I increased but I can maybe just add a snack at 12 since that was keeping me under calories. But I'm waaay under carbs which makes me happy lol. have to keep tweaking I haven't weighed in this week yet and my blood sugars were a little high due to the fact I kept forgetting to take my morning diabetic meds lol since I have to take it with food, I wouldn't take it with bpc and then forget about it later.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I take all of my meds, and supplements, with my bpc without any problems. That way you (I) don't forget!
  • Sunny_Bunny_

yes I'm T2D. I was doing fine on one cup of bpc but by 12 I'd be ravenous and my lunch isn't until 1:30 on most days, that's why I increased but I can maybe just add a snack at 12 since that was keeping me under calories. But I'm waaay under carbs which makes me happy lol. have to keep tweaking I haven't weighed in this week yet and my blood sugars were a little high due to the fact I kept forgetting to take my morning diabetic meds lol since I have to take it with food, I wouldn't take it with bpc and then forget about it later.

There's definitely a lot of value in experimenting.
    I would try taking the meds with the BPC. It's not solid food, but it is actually food. I suspect it would count.
  • RalfLott
    (Bump for recent Alzheimer's discussions)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member

Yep. Don't see much reason to go refined - unless it's to smear on your ke-toned body while you're vacationing near the equator, and you really need the higher flash point.

:D