Question about Sugar Cravings and Bad Days

Options
SmokeRising
SmokeRising Posts: 34 Member
Question: After I was sleeved in April, like most people, I didn't have much of an appetite and I didn't crave sweets. This probably would have continued but on May 26th, I had a bad day. I had weeks of a weight stall and decided I would eat whatever I wanted. My stomach is still small so I couldn't eat much but I had several bites of strawberry cake. Later I had pizza for the first time. For whatever reason, I began losing weight again (basically no weight loss for 5 weeks and then I lost 6 pounds in a week after the cake). I am pleased to be losing weight again but the sugar cravings are back. I am really fighting them every day now where I didn't think much about sugar before. Anyone else had this experience? Will the sugar cravings ever go away now?cupr944s3yq7.png

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I do crave sugar more now (almost two years post op). What I do is enjoy some desserts/sweets, but only what I plan and I write it ALL down and count it. For example, I'll plan to have ice cream after the movies with the family - I look forward to it, enjoy it (although if I eat too much I'll feel yucky). What I don't do is casually or impulse eating of sweets. My secretary has a bowl of chocolate on her desk for anyone who walks by. For the first year post-op I didn't touch that bowl. After a year I thought I could eat just one, but found that I can't - rationalizing one leads to two until they're all gone. So I just accept that sweets are risky for me, and I'm very intentional about how much I eat. And for me, assuming they're simply off limits helps with my "cravings", if I know I'm not going to eat any I don't think about it. If I let my sub-consciousness believe it can negotiate me into having an impromptu sweet I'll lose that battle. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself - but it is a hole I don't want to go down.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I will be three years post op in October. I dabbled in the sweets and it didn't work out well for me. I think like most people, the more sugars/carbs I ate, the more I craved and wanted. It's a very slippery slope. Personally, carbs and sugar don't fit into my diet. If I leave them alone I don't miss them, so that's what I have to do. My surgeon tells me carbs are my enemy. For me, there is a bit of truth in that.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Carb intake leads to the desire to eat more! This can truly be like an addiction for some (many) people! Complete avoidance is the best way to break it! How many alcoholics can drink a random drink that doesn't lead to more? It's no different, really.
  • SmokeRising
    SmokeRising Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My surgeon says it will take 3 to 4 weeks of avoidance for the cravings to subside. Ughh! I messed up :(
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been having more than one bad day lately. I have to get back to it. Haven't put on weight, but don't want to overdo it and stretch the stomach either. This group is so good to get us all back on track. Think I'll be needing this support for the next century...lol. Op Date Mar15.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Good timing on this thread. Today is my 1 year bypass anniversary. In the past 2-3 weeks I've started to experiment with sweets. Bad idea. I was wondering what my next goal would be now that I'm at my weight goal. I guess I'll focus on leaving sugar alone. It really is a slippery slope!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my kryptonite and I can't have them. If I have to many I crave more of them so I do my best to control my carbs. I try to limit sweets to a spoonful from somebody else's plate. I know I can't have my own dessert physically I just can't do it so I leave them alone. I see people who can control their carb intake by just saying no but I'm not at the point where I can do that yet. I may never get there. Maybe you can avoid desserts and only have them when eating out with family where someone will be kind enough to give you a spoonful.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Once you go without carbs, and increase healthy fats, the desire for carbs disappears (did for me!), and I don't see them as food/fuel anymore. I've seen enough health changes, for the better, to know they harm me. Why would I want to eat things that harm me? That's what it comes down to; choice!
  • mzzzfrog
    mzzzfrog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me sugar causes cravings. So 15 years post op I'm working on eating as clean as reasonable for me and the cravings are mostly gone.