When does fatigue go away on keto?

Options
dmariet116
dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
So I have been on keto since May 1st. I had a touch of carb flu the first week when I chose to do a fat fast to get into ketosis faster. I was purple on ketostix by the 4th day. I began to feel better..more energy, better sleep, better concentration etc after the first week.

Now it's been 6 weeks but I still feel that I get tired much faster than normal. Not extreme like the keto flu phase, but more so than I like. I don't see more than a trace of ketones even keeping carbs at 20 g per day. I know 20 g is pretty low, but I want to keep this level for now. I eat the majority of my calories from fats and keep protein moderate. My calories are at about 1500 per day but sometimes I only get around 1200 with my 12 hr work shifts. I try to keep electrolytes in balance but I have trouble keeping potassium where it needs to be. Not too many potassium rich foods to chose from but I do eat avocados and mushrooms daily. I work in a steel mill which reaches temps of 120 to 130 F when temps are close to 100 like they are now so I lose electrolytes faster than I can replenish.

Just wondering is this normal to still feel tired after 6 weeks? I am considering TRYING to up my calories more to see if I feel better but I am not ready to up my carbs just yet (even though I fully realize that could be the answer) I keep reading about how once you become keto adapted you just have all this energy and I am soooo ready for that day to come!!! For veteran Keto followers, when did you have that energy renewal? I know it takes time to heal a poor metabolism from a lifetime of poor eating so I am prepared to wait it out. Just curious? Thanks for any input you all may have!

Oh and Happy Father's Day to the dad's out there!!! :)

Replies

• Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    from what I read from others, the thing to do is up the salt - it helps with the tiredness
  • dmariet116
    Options
    I am definitely working on salt as well as magnesium and potassium! Magnesium is easy to supplement. I am looking for salt tablets today. :) I sweat a LOT at work so hoping that's what it is! Thanks @kathrout1973
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am hoping the tiredness goes away also, I know that if I keep up my water intake and have at least one cup of very salty beef or chicken stock it does relieve it quite a bit. I use the Massel stock cubes, they are gluten free and very tasty :)
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Taking in to much salt doesn't that make you swell up, I know I've had issues with that in the past so I'm a little nervous about taking in to much salt?
  • shilahjean
    shilahjean Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When I was draggin butt from first phase of keto I took potassium and magnesium supplements along with my multi vitamin and started liberally salting my food with sea salt (lots of minerals). It worked right away. I would not wait hoping that your diet is going to supply the needs and get the supplements they work wonders.
  • dmariet116
    Options
    I probably need way more than I have been consuming as much as I sweat at work! What about potassium? I am planning to use lite salt in addition to regular salt to up potassium but no way am I getting close to 4700 mg from broccoli, avocados and spinach.
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It took about a week for me. Definitely get that sodium in. I make an electrolyte water drink with 750 ml water, 1/4 cup lemon juice (for potassium), 1/4 t sea salt, and stevia drops to taste. Chugging a couple of those makes a world of difference. Some people make up a mug of chicken or beef bouillon to sip, but that kinda gags me, but you could try that too.
  • dmariet116
    Options
    @jetsamflotsam Wow, only a week? That's awesome! I did by lemons today and lite salt which is half sodium half potassium. I use sea salt on everything!!! Lol! I am making up some lemonade with salt for work tomorrow. I have some chicken bouillon but haven't wanted to drink it because it's been so hot here. Thanks so much for ideas!
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Taking in to much salt doesn't that make you swell up, I know I've had issues with that in the past so I'm a little nervous about taking in to much salt?

Not typically on a low carb diet. That's something that's associated with a high carb diet as carbs create water retention.
    Low carb at Keto levels is very diuretic. The need for sodium is not to be taken lightly. Keto eaters need about 5000mg a day in the beginning and not heeding that warning will have you suffering these exact symptoms being mentioned.
    Even once adapted, the need for sodium doesn't completely go away. It typically reduced to around 3000 - 4000mg a day.

Thanks Sunny_Bunny for the information. In the past I would sell up and I always blamed salt so since I've been doing Keto I've been nervous to increase. I've been way under, I will be upping it, no wonder I don't feel like I have all the energy in the world like everyone talks about.
  • shilahjean
    shilahjean Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the sea salt, water and lemon mixture. It might have you running to the bathroom for number 2.
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    shilahjean wrote: »
    Be careful with the sea salt, water and lemon mixture. It might have you running to the bathroom for number 2.

Weird! I have never had that reaction, thankfully!

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    I have trouble keeping potassium where it needs to be. Not too many potassium rich foods to chose from but I do eat avocados and mushrooms daily. I work in a steel mill which reaches temps of 120 to 130 F when temps are close to 100 like they are now so I lose electrolytes faster than I can replenish.

Whew!

FYI, potassium-rich food list here.

In my experience, potassium-based salt substitutes are the easiest way to get a daily dose of potassium. It's not the tastiest stuff ever, but you can double the liquid recommended for bouillon, pour in a bunch of salt sub instead of more bouillon base, and voila! - a sodium and potassium bomb. (You can add vinegar, too, if you have reflux issues.) No rule that bouillon can't be chilled before gulping.

https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Salt-Substitute-Shaker-3-Ounce/dp/B004EPBMRC/
    https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Substitute-11-Ounce-Cans-Pack/dp/B0049IRCAA/
    https://www.amazon.com/Morton-Salt-Substitute-3-12-Ounce-88-6g/dp/B00473QUGO/
    51HMC0xRxjL.jpg
  • dmariet116
    Options
    @RalfLott I just bought some lite salt yesterday! I am anxious to get started using it to see if low potassium is the culprit! I feel like I get adequate sodium most days but I probably don't sweating like I do at work. I do take over the required amount of magnesium so I know that is good. I am so thankful to have found this group. You all are so helpful!!! <3
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @dmariet116 - Others have reported feeling better after trying to balance not only sodium, potassium and magnesium (as you're doing), but also B vitamins (esp. B12), vitamin K2, and calcium. (And of course, plenty of H2O especially in hot weather.)

I don't know if it would be that helpful for you, but I spent several hours at a bar last week nursing a couple dry martinis and watching my colleagues pursue profoundly non-carb projects. It was a minor revelation to see half of them fatigue before my very eyes!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @dmariet116 - So glad you posted your question. I am having the same problem after eating low carb for 5 weeks (20-30ish grams per day). Still have days with a lot of fatigue and looking forward not so much to the keto adapted energy but just to get back to my normal range of energy. I only work part-time and in an air-conditioned environment. I drink plenty of water, and recently (2 days ago) started on magnesium supplements. I like the suggestion of adding more water to my bouillion mug and then adding some lite salt for potassium. Will try that this week. Keep us posted on your outcomes.
  • dmariet116
    Options
    @RalfLott That sounds fun!!!! :)
  • dmariet116
    Options
    @supergal3 Magnesium has helped me a lot with leg cramps! And I sleep so soundly when I take it at bedtime!!!! Today was pretty successful! I drank a bottle of water with 2T Braggs vinegar, 1/4 tsp lite salt, 2 lemon slices and a packet of stevia. It tasted like a weird gatorade! Lol! Oh and cayenne and cinnamon. I felt energized and wished I would have mixed up another 2 bottles to take with me!!! I am going to take extra tomorrow! Every day is a learning experience!
  • jetsamflotsam
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @dmariet116 - Others have reported feeling better after trying to balance not only sodium, potassium and magnesium (as you're doing), but also B vitamins (esp. B12), vitamin K2, and calcium. (And of course, plenty of H2O especially in hot weather.)

My supplements are iron with B complex... Calcium/magnesium, Vit D, and potassium. I'm not sure how much difference they make but I tend to test low in iron and Vit D so it's good for maintaining normal levels for me...
  • dmariet116
    Options
    Yes! I take my D3 everyday! Working 12 hours I don't see much sunshine! I take a multi too but I need to add an extra B complex for sure.