Electrolytes? Muscle stiffness and cramps... Any suggestions?!

Options
kirstie1978
kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help. I'm thinking magnesium might be the issue but am not overly sure. I have been eating under 20grams of carbs for a few months (about 3 days it has been higher but under 100g). Recently though I have been suffering with leg and muscle cramps I had it first when I took a couple of doses of ranitidine a few months ago, but recently it's back with a vengeance. I feel like I have done a proper work out with muscle stiffness despite being relatively fit and usually dancing a couple of times a week (I haven't really done anything the past couple of weeks because of this). It's like all over muscle stiffness, even my chest muscles feel like they've done a workout.

I add Losalt and Himalayan salt to my sugar free squash (750mls a day) so am wondering if despite nuts and spinach, veg etc if magnesium is the issue? Anyone have any other ideas?

Was thinking of adding these to my intake? Any thoughts. Thanks

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-magnesium-caplets-150mg-60006485

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-potassium-caplets-99mg-60001110

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Muscle cramping sounds like a magnesium issue.

The post on the front page of this forum about electrolytes will explain it in more detail.

Avoid magnesium oxide, and try to go for one that ends in '-ate'. Start slowly - sometimes magnesium can cause bathroom issues.

Try an epsom salt bath to help soothe your muscles.
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    Thanks yeah I have read that. Just seems to be a new thing which is what has confused me. Thanks I'll go ahead and try the supplements
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think it's also magnesium. I had such bad cramps in my lower back that I thought I was passing kidney stones 3 weeks ago and ended up in the ER. Had just a few muscle relaxers prescribed, but added magnesium citrate 2x a day and much, much better. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You simply can't get enough magnesium without supplementing it. Our souls are depleted so the produce doesn't even contain as much magnesium as it's supposed to.
    The launchpad has a link to recommended forms to take.
    In the mean time, you also can't get enough sodium from just salting your foods. If you eat pickles, drink the juice or drink a couple cups of broth made from boullion AND salt your foods each day, you should be good. In the beginning you need about 5000mg a day because you lose so much. When sodium gets low, your body dumps magnesium and potassium. Potassium is easier to get in foods or by using Lite Salt, but magnesium is easiest to get in supplement form. If sodium is always kept up, magnesium doesn't get dumped and stays more consistent.

EVERYONE underestimates the sodium needs.
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    Thanks. I have added magnesium malate to order tonight! I am hoping this will help with fatigue and muscle cramps. Thanks everyone, fingers crossed!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I almost never have issues because I've been taking mag for years...out of nowhere the night before last I started having a bout of restless leg syndrome. I took an extra dose that night and extra yesterday morning and this morning. Seem to be back to normal. No idea what I did that caused the issue but mag was sure the answer!

For some reason sodium doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Maybe something about my surgery, I don't know but I don't crave salt and don't seem to be deficient. But crazy enough right after my gastric bypass (which was in 2003) I craved salt so much that I ate bags of sunflower seeds all the time. I kept them in my car, on my desk, at home, at work, everywhere and was always cracking and eating them.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @kirstie1978 -
    Any chance you're taking a statin?

Some are more likely than others to cause leg cramps.
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    @RalfLott no I take no medication except the pill. It's more the stiffness but all over and then I get cramps as well.