I've read too much stuff - its all become a blur

Options
Clo747
Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
I'm trying to find out my BMR and TDEE so I can utilise them to determine what an appropriate calorie intake is for me, but I think the more I read and videos I watch, I'm increasingly confusing what numbers mean what and how you introduce a cut and what that's actually for... Can someone please recommend a TDEE calculator (as there are TONS) and explain to me like I'm five how I use this number to calculate my calorie intake? Thank you kindly, in advance!

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello there, @Clo747 !
    I know that sometimes all the information can make this seem confusing, specially when people try to approach it in a scientific way. But it can be simple and straight forward. BMR will be how many calories your body would need to survive if you were in a coma, just enough to breath and take care of the vital functions; TDEE is what your body needs to maintain your weight in a normal day, including your normal activities and exercise. This is a no drama, no frill, straight forward calculator from the EM2WL site: http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

If you have been dieting, have dieted in the last years or have not been eating close or above your TDEE number, a reset must be considered (http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/). If you have not been dieting, have not dieted before and have been eating close to or above your TDEE, you may go straight to a cut. Take 10 to 15% off from the TDEE number (the calculator will do it for you) and don't eat back your exercise since it's in the activity level you chose. Don't cut youself short by choosing the lowest activity level.

I know you have been reading a lot, but just in case, this sticky posts says everything I said in more detail:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/680246/tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them/p1
    Just make sure you stick with the first post and do not go into the rocket science approach if you want to keep it simple and efficient. A lot of the extra detailed stuff is true, but can be useless for you. No need to have all that extra noise, the EM2WL approach is simple and it works.

I hope I made it a little easier.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I know exactly how you feel! With so many calculators and such out there in can get quite confusing. I ended up using the calculator that @TerezeToledo suggested and so far the numbers have been working for me!
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a Fitbit HR. IT continuesly monitors your heart rate, calories burned and sleep which is very important to this process. It synchs with MFP and shows you your actual TDEE. Of course it's not the end all be all of accuracy but I feel like it's better than a calculator. It also emails you a report at the end of the week with all your stats!!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a Fitbit HR. IT continuesly monitors your heart rate, calories burned and sleep which is very important to this process. It synchs with MFP and shows you your actual TDEE. Of course it's not the end all be all of accuracy but I feel like it's better than a calculator. It also emails you a report at the end of the week with all your stats!!

I've been using one since December. Because I drive a bus for 8 hours a day and the roads being as bumpy as they are, it over estimates my steps of course. No way of shutting it off, but on my days off it shows me a true TDEE for the day and I eat my cals based around that.
  • Clo747
    Options
    Hello there, @Clo747 !
    I know that sometimes all the information can make this seem confusing, specially when people try to approach it in a scientific way. But it can be simple and straight forward. BMR will be how many calories your body would need to survive if you were in a coma, just enough to breath and take care of the vital functions; TDEE is what your body needs to maintain your weight in a normal day, including your normal activities and exercise. This is a no drama, no frill, straight forward calculator from the EM2WL site: http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

If you have been dieting, have dieted in the last years or have not been eating close or above your TDEE number, a reset must be considered (http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/). If you have not been dieting, have not dieted before and have been eating close to or above your TDEE, you may go straight to a cut. Take 10 to 15% off from the TDEE number (the calculator will do it for you) and don't eat back your exercise since it's in the activity level you chose. Don't cut youself short by choosing the lowest activity level.

I know you have been reading a lot, but just in case, this sticky posts says everything I said in more detail:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/680246/tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them/p1
    Just make sure you stick with the first post and do not go into the rocket science approach if you want to keep it simple and efficient. A lot of the extra detailed stuff is true, but can be useless for you. No need to have all that extra noise, the EM2WL approach is simple and it works.

I hope I made it a little easier.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

That has helped no end! Thank you so much! Thank you everyone for your help and support!

• TerezaToledo
    Options
    @Clo747 How is it going? Are you feeling a little less lost? Let us know how things are in your end.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Clo747
    Options
    @Clo747 How is it going? Are you feeling a little less lost? Let us know how things are in your end.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

A little! I can't remember now all my official numbers, but I somehow landed on 1900, so I'd been trying to eat that... But I've just spent the last 4 days in Dublin with my youngest for the world karate championships and all sensibility has flown out the window! I'll try and rehash my bmr and tdee, but definitely back on the case from tomorrow! Thanks for checking in on me! Xxx
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @Clo747 thanks for checking in!
    It's not everyday that you are in Dublin with your kid, so enjoy it! EM2WL is about learning that we can eat the cake and have it to, that we can and should enjoy events with our loved ones and that food should not be an issue and should not stop us from having a good time. Once you are ready, crunch those numbers and start working on them. Trust me, it is much simpler than it seems!

Tereza
    Team EM2W
  • Clo747
    Options

BMR (Sick/Bed Rest)
    TDEE (Maintenance)
    Calories based on selected goal

I HAD been eating around 1500 sometime last year...then, I'd upped it to 1700, so it's still a process getting to 1900 healthily... But I'm sure I'll get there!
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Excellent start @clo747! Increase it slowly. Keep us posted on how it goes and feel free to ask any questions!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady does it:) It took me almost two years to fully accept my TDEE and get up to it. Learned SOOOOOOO much about myself during that whole time:) The process is slow, but this is for life not a quick fix.. So invest in the time to get to your TDEE and your body will thank you down the line:)
    Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • Clo747
    Options
    I've changed my calories to reflect my maintenance calories so I could actually start logging my exercise. I've got a small suspicion I'm more active than I give myself credit for. I really didn't want to overestimate, but I may have gone too far in the other direction. So, I'm having a log it all week to see how my numbers stack up.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Clo747 wrote: »
    I've changed my calories to reflect my maintenance calories so I could actually start logging my exercise. I've got a small suspicion I'm more active than I give myself credit for. I really didn't want to overestimate, but I may have gone too far in the other direction. So, I'm having a log it all week to see how my numbers stack up.

Your maintenance calories already take into account your activity levels.. so if you log your workouts, the cal burn should be 1.
    Watch your activity for the next few weeks. Log your time and what you are doing. If you find you are logging more than the moderate levels, then yes bump those cals up further:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator