Keto-adapted athletes - fuelling question

Options
janekocanpayne
janekocanpayne Posts: 17 Member
Call out to endurance runners/cyclists/athletes! I'm due to start training for a marathon soon. It's been a while since I've done any long runs (I would call these anything longer than 90 minutes) but the last time I was out for that long I got to a point where I felt like I needed a bit of a boost. I was thinking about taking some fat bombs with me to replace the gels I used to wolf down - does anyone else do this? If you do, what would you suggest as good options? Is this even a good idea?!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    My concern would be the fat bomb melting in your pack and it would be a sticky mess. Because of the fat content, they melt faster than gels.

Also because fat is slower release than carbs, wouldn't it take a while for the energy to hit? You may want to eat something high in fat a few hours before your run and it could fuel you there. Fat is a slow releasing and longer lasting energy, if I remember correctly.

I think the only thing to be concerned of is runner's trots from the high fat. /personalexperience
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The advantage of being keto adapted is that you're better at using your body fat to fuel your exercise, and we're all carrying around more of that than we need for a marathon. Since you're just started to train, maybe it would be a good time to experiment with whether you really need any snacks at all.

Here's a good summary.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm

And a snippet: " "The blue print for becoming 'fat- or keto-adapted' is hard wired into our genetic code. However, traditional 'healthy' diets with carbohydrates as the dominant nutrient prevent this alternative metabolic operating system from ever booting up."
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's been a while since I've done any long runs (I would call these anything longer than 90 minutes) but the last time I was out for that long I got to a point where I felt like I needed a bit of a boost.

I usually limit my runs to under an hour, but I did bring a bag of mixed nuts and coconut flakes with me on a fairly intense 3-hour bike ride. I ended up not eating any, and I wasn't hungry for a couple hours after the ride either.

[Macadamia nuts are nature's fat bombs, BTW.]

But it depends on the feeling. You can still deplete glycogen, depending on intensity. In that case, you may want something with carb content. Peter Attia liked cashews on his rides.

You can also deplete sodium, especially if you're hydrating. I'd salt-up before and bring a salt tablet with me just in case.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My long runs aren't as long as yours, I am only training for a half. But I find, if I do morning running, eating a big high fat dinner (burg and bacon especially) the night before, I feel/do better. When I eat something lighter (chicken), it's less pleasant. It's easier to run in the evenings when I'm not fasted but it's unrealistic to think I would eat before on race day.

As always, electrolytes play a huuuuuge role. I drink keto-aid just to be sure before I go. Sometimes, when I get back from running, I just eat everything in sight. My husband feeds me but if you feed yourself, pre-cooked bacon or a cheese stick to tide you over while you prep food is a good idea.

Oh, and I think I will bring a pickle juice shooter on race day to replace the carb/electrolyte thing people like. (I plan on having hubby meet me at th finish line with bacon because all the race-supplied treats are going to be fruit smoothies and carbs...)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ...and this
    My long runs aren't as long as yours, I am only training for a half. But I find, if I do morning running, eating a big high fat dinner (burg and bacon especially) the night before, I feel/do better. When I eat something lighter (chicken), it's less pleasant. It's easier to run in the evenings when I'm not fasted but it's unrealistic to think I would eat before on race day.

As always, electrolytes play a huuuuuge role. I drink keto-aid just to be sure before I go. Sometimes, when I get back from running, I just eat everything in sight. My husband feeds me but if you feed yourself, pre-cooked bacon or a cheese stick to tide you over while you prep food is a good idea.

Oh, and I think I will bring a pickle juice shooter on race day to replace the carb/electrolyte thing people like. I plan on having hubby meet me at th finish line with bacon because all the race-supplied treats are going to be fruit smoothies and carbs...)

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest nuts as well. Been a while since I have trained for anything but when I was running a lot and under 100gm of carbs daily I used to bring hazelnuts, which are oddly named filberts in the pkg. is that a Canadian thing? Sorry for he off topic! Lol!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I was going to suggest nuts as well. Been a while since I have trained for anything but when I was running a lot and under 100gm of carbs daily I used to bring hazelnuts, which are oddly named filberts in the pkg. is that a Canadian thing? Sorry for he off topic! Lol!

Seems to be a name of a specific type of species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazelnut

...the more you know.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    @wabmester That looks amazing. Our area has a wine run (common, I'm told) and we have the bratwurst and beer run in October. I'd like to say that the latter doesn't interest me, but I definitely leave room for the occasional Idaho beer!
  • janekocanpayne
    janekocanpayne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was worried about fat bombs melting also, just hadn't come up with a solution as to how to transport them just yet. I may experiment with having one/some before I go out. I'm not keen on the idea of eating nuts, purely from a chewing point of view - thought that fat bombs might be easier as they'll sort of melt as I'm running.

I'm aware about electrolytes - was going to put some Himalayan pink salt in my water that comes with me.

I'm fairly aggressive with my carb count - aiming (and getting) less than 20g of carbs per day, hence why I'm focusing on fat intake, and I know that fat burns slower etc, etc. As some of you say, it may be that I don't need anything anyway. I'm just basing it on the last endurance exercise I did when I felt like I needed something at about 90 minutes in.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was worried about fat bombs melting also, just hadn't come up with a solution as to how to transport them just yet. I may experiment with having one/some before I go out. I'm not keen on the idea of eating nuts, purely from a chewing point of view - thought that fat bombs might be easier as they'll sort of melt as I'm running.

I'm aware about electrolytes - was going to put some Himalayan pink salt in my water that comes with me.

I'm fairly aggressive with my carb count - aiming (and getting) less than 20g of carbs per day, hence why I'm focusing on fat intake, and I know that fat burns slower etc, etc. As some of you say, it may be that I don't need anything anyway. I'm just basing it on the last endurance exercise I did when I felt like I needed something at about 90 minutes in.

I guess it just depends on the individual. If this is something you do often (long runs), experimentation would be good.

If you want to try taking a fat bomb with you, keep it in the freezer til your run. Maybe in a small salad dressing type container. Put the container in the freezer as well. If you have a belt or something you can store it in, that should be good. Your bodyheat plus the heat from outside will start to melt it. Maybe make it ready for consumption later on. The 90 minute mark may be too long though because fat melts easier.
  • pugglepants318
    pugglepants318 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use UCAN, which is supposed to give you long lasting fuel without the insulin spike. Also, I use Larabars, they have dates (so natural sugar) but it's way better than any of those chemical Gus!