Could it be gout?

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
I've been on this WOE for 14 months now and am basically at my maintenance weight. The other day I woke up with an unexplained bout of knee pain. It seemed more muscular than joint-related (Although, my entire knee did swell later on), but I hadn't done any leg work the previous day (I did 2 days prior). I am wondering now if it's possible it might be gout, but from everything I've read I'm not entirely convinced.

Are there any gout sufferers that can tell me more?

My dad had it, so there might be a genetic component, but I haven't eaten anything different than I normally do that might have triggered it. And like I said, I've been on this WOE since last April. I just don't know.

Any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Gout usually, but not always starts in the toes and is often triggered by foods and alcohol. Uric acid is the culprit and dehydration causes a build up as well as some foods. I would check my food diary against a site like this to see if you have a bunch of commonalities.

http://www.gout.com/
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I've been on this WOE for 14 months now and am basically at my maintenance weight. The other day I woke up with an unexplained bout of knee pain. It seemed more muscular than joint-related (Although, my entire knee did swell later on), but I hadn't done any leg work the previous day (I did 2 days prior). I am wondering now if it's possible it might be gout, but from everything I've read I'm not entirely convinced.

Are there any gout sufferers that can tell me more?

My dad had it, so there might be a genetic component, but I haven't eaten anything different than I normally do that might have triggered it. And like I said, I've been on this WOE since last April. I just don't know.

Any insight is appreciated!

Could it be DOMS aka Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Did you have a previous injury or surgery in your knee? Gout can flare in something like a knee if you had an injury there before.

I think the test is very simple and cheap. No reason to not get tested, especially if you have a family history.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like gout to me, but there can be a connection with low-carb diets. As ketoacids are wasted by the kidneys, uric acid concentration in the blood rises. The change is the biggest in the first couple weeks, but the kidneys need to re-adapt anytime your carb intake or ketone levels change.

Phinney-Ketoadaptation-Uric-Acid.005.jpg
  • annalisbeth74
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! @RowdysLady - thanks for the link. A lot of good info on there. In fact, I'm more and more convinced that it's injury and not gout; maybe just DOMS. But like @WBB55 said, the test is simple, and if it is gout they should still be able to detect it even though the swelling is now gone. I have an appt next week to be sure.

Thank you all!
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As one who is managing their gout with allopurinol I can tell you it isn't fun. As another stated, it typically starts in the feet, most notably, the joint where your LEFT big toe connects to your foot and when it does, it is excrutiating. When I have flareups, I can't even walk. I have had it in both feet and one knee and I can't even move the joint when it is during an attack. My wife said that a female friend of hers who has had it said she felt the pain was worse than any child she has had (which made me feel better LOL).

Getting the uric acid level tested is not something that is part of normal bloodwork but will show elevated levels if you do have it. For some the problem is that they produce too much uric acid, for others it is a matter of producing a normal amount but thier body doesn't get rid of it as effectively as it should so the levels build up.

My guess is that it is likely injury related somehow rather than gout but even if it goes away, it might be something you might want to request your doctor add to your blood tests next time.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    @UncaToddly - yikes! That sounds awful. I'm so sorry.

Yeah, I was still able to walk, and I would not have categorized my pain as excruciating. It's sounding more and more like something else happened. I just wish I know what I did so I can be more careful next time!