Cycle by the river

Options
loobe1066
loobe1066 Posts: 206 Member
I woke up at 06:20 this morning and the sun was shining. After sitting up in bed with a cup of tea and my iPad for an hour I thought I can either stay here or I can see if I can ride my bike. I decided to try to ride my bike. I have only ridden once or twice in the last 18 months due to my knees. I managed to cycle 2.74 miles along the river, I only got off my bike twice towards the top of inclines. I was even back before hubby woke up.

Replies

• cjdsign
    cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So awesome you are!!! And so proud of you!! If your knees start to hurt, ice them for 15 then heat. alternate 1x per hour till you feel better. It is not so pleasant, but it does relieve the inflammation
  • loobe1066
    Options
    I also went shopping this afternoon for a backpack for work. Done over 6000 steps no wonder I had to go and lie down this afternoon
  • loobe1066
    Options
    @cjdsign thanks for al, your support x
  • yasef13
    yasef13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @loobe1066
    I'm so proud of you for staying active despite your challenges. Good for you, girl! ;)
    I used to looove riding my bike all the way through college. And to be honest I would love to take that up again, but I'm so afraid of stressing out my knees. With the osteoarthritis, they are barely functioning now. But I have a consult with the orthopedic doctor soon, and you can bet your buns I'm bringing up this subject!
  • loobe1066
    Options
    yasef13 wrote: »
    @loobe1066
    I'm so proud of you for staying active despite your challenges. Good for you, girl! ;)
    I used to looove riding my bike all the way through college. And to be honest I would love to take that up again, but I'm so afraid of stressing out my knees. With the osteoarthritis, they are barely functioning now. But I have a consult with the orthopedic doctor soon, and you can bet your buns I'm bringing up this subject!

Thanks yasef, cycling is a low impact exercise that helps build the muscles around the knees therefore it is beneficial. However professional cyclists do damage their knees with all the cycling they do. Definitely check with your Dr that it's ok for you to cycle as you don't want to do more harm than good. Just to let you know before the arthroscopies cycling was a killer, but that was due to torn meniscus and debris in my knees. Since that the arthroscopies my left knee is fine when cycling but my right knee (arthroscopy 6weeks ago) is painful but that may be due to the fact cartilidge is worn away so it's bone on bone. Hopefully as the muscles get stronger hopefully it will be less painful only time will tell. My orthopod told me to keep cycling and to lose weight well I am trying to do both.
    Good luck with your orthopod appointment hope you are able to get on your bike soon