• wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Turn my attention to someone I can help
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Zeb is a great resource and in working with him one-on-one, I was able to let go of some of my fear and angst that I was having after a relapse.
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't really use the term abstinence. I guess the basic definition is that one is abstinent when he/she is not compulsively eating. I find that I don't struggle with compulsively eating when I pray for knowledge of my higher power's will for me, and then use the power given to me to follow through on what I sense I should be doing regarding food and everything else (basically receiving power outside of myself to help me do step 10 and 11). See page 45 of big book Alcoholics Anonymous from "Lack of..." to "will solve your problem" or all of Chapter 4 for more details.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    BINGO! recovery is the goal.
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am discovering that it is much more effective to work the steps while in abstinence. Since my overeating is about avoidance of fear/emotions, I need to face those emotions, not stuff them down with food. Today is day 6 of abstinence (301 plan, no sugar, no wheat, no alcohol) and I am able to use the tool of writing to keep my emotions above ground.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Writing is a great way to learn about character and fear/emotions.
    My abstinance is about sugar and bread. I have been abstinant from alcohol for over 42 years now, I'm newer to bread though. Sugar has long abstinant spaces in my life as well. Recently I find myself remembering that tolerance of others is our code in respect to those who can use refined sugar and alcohol without bad consequences. Knowing what I am in honesty helps me keep my 12 Step program as a way of living foremost in my life without wishing I was like those who don't seem to find their lives are unmanageable without it. I like living the 12 steps, I'm even glad I had the problems that got me developing a spiritual way of living based on the principles of AA.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Abstinance for me is to avoid WHEAT as that is a TRIGGER food for overeating and cravings. Many manufacturers know this that is why they include it in most foods. I even found that oven chips had wheat on it with some manufacturers. Not all, so now I have to check all the ingredient list.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The TRIGGER can be anytime up to 7 hours after eating. Or immediate.
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My alcoholic foods are sugar and wheat. I've also suffered from Binge Eating Disorder for about 45 years so binge eating is a behaviour that's breaking abstinence. It's usually sugar and wheat that leads to a binge, so by removing those foods, the behaviour is a lot easier to stop. One day at a time.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    So many times I hear the same thing, and that is that wheat and sugar products trigger overeating in many people. Others seem immune.
    I just stay with what I know to be true for me and sanity is the reward.
    If it works for you, don't fix it!
    I have enough experiments to have decided its better if I stay clear of certain food.
    If once in a while I decide to eat one of my trigger foods, all I can say is that I know full well ahead of time the struggles I will have to go through during the days following. :(