Just the Basics: July: Week 1 (7/1-7/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Welcome to LC Basics Bootcamp!
At the request of June Challenge members, and since no one else has mentioned anything else :lol:, here we go again!

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Consistently nailing the basics is so important. And consistency creates good habits, routines, and gives you momentum that will carry you through hard times or disruptions to your normal schedule. Forget motivation. Motivation is a fickle thing. Discipline carries you through when motivation fails you.

So what are the basics?
Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important other basics. Staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
I'll keep links to the weekly threads at the bottom of this post should the thread get buried. 2 clicks, to this post and the Weekly link, will get you back to it.

So go ahead and post your goals in this Thread.
My daily post would look something like this.
SW: 159.6
CW: 159.6

Wed 7/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
No booze!: :+1:
8/8

But this is your show. So focus on your basics.

Make this month count! Tear it up!:+1:

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Braved the scale today, it wasn't as bad as I feared... in fact, I'm pretty much at the same place I left off (which speaks volumes about how intuitive this way of eating has apparently become; even when I thought I was flailing badly - and I was, mentally and emotionally - I still made decent enough choices to not gain. Rather a shock!).

SW for July: 146.4
    CW: 146.4
    GW: 140

My Basics:
    1) all meds taken
    2) all food logged, even the licks, bites, tastes, and random stuff I have to guess at
    3) carbs under 75 total; shooting for 35 net max
    4) Movement/exercise: running, gym time, or just hitting steps goal
    5) Enough fluids (and electrolytes, especially potassium)

#s 2, 3 and 5 should be interesting - we are traveling to a family reunion in Washington State mid-month. I have found that in the more temperate climate I drink less, and we belong to a very SAD-eating family so picking and choosing what I will put in my body while simultaneously not offending anyone should be a trick. Movement will be easy though, I'll get to walk/run around the lake by Auntie Jan's house every day if I want to :)
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    July goals:

1. Lose 6 lbs
    2. 16:8 and keep my start time consistent instead of allowing myself to eat earlier because & stopped early the previous day
    3. More sleep
    4. Gym 4x's week
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Great--I need a basics challenge. :)

7/1 weight: 177.2

I'm going to keep it very simple. Carbs under 40g and drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day. I'm hoping to lose about 5 lbs this month.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    SW 201 (Feb)
    CW 189
    GW 185 (July)

Will add my individual daily goals tomorrow.
  • mandyplz
    mandyplz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    SW: 165
    CW: 165
    GW: 155

1. Substitute veggies for pita chips
    2. Stop being obsessed with the scale- I fluctuate 2-3 a lot and it really gets me down. Changing meds this year and gaining 10 lbs has been tough.
    3. Gym 3X a week
    4. Eat more protein!

• change04
    change04 Posts: 314 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SW 240( March )
    CW 228.2( July)
    GW under 200 ( I'll set a new goal once I hit this)

I haven't been consistent last month ..... I still lost a small amount of weight. New month fresh start

More water
    Cut out chocolate/sweets
    Stay within my Carb goal
    10,000 steps each day
    15min exercise
    Loss 10 lbs

• Dziasmith
    Dziasmith Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join! I am new to this way of eating and I am currently traveling with my family in our RV so I don't have a scale (maybe that is a good thing?). So, I will keep my goals simple: log every day and eat less than 50 g carb per day. I will also hope my measuring tape shows progress at the end of the month.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Salisbury cathedral, England, for a wedding today. Excited. Gorgeous venue. Judging from last night's hen's evening, lots of good choices and even more bad ones, food wise. Will need some will power today!
    56.7kg when I checked 2 days ago. Will let you know next Tuesday on weekend impact. Using same 10 goals as last month.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Finally getting in here to post.
    Busy busy busy.
    I've been doing a 4:3 this week (calorie cycling: low-calorie to maintenance cal level) to nudge the scale. And it worked.
    SW: 160
    CW: 157.6

I'm thinking maybe I might need to space my 3 low-calorie days out a bit. I'm NOT a nice person on the last day. At all.
    I'm having to tweak as well since my carbs get too low and cause mummy episodes at night which is not good. So I have to save all my carbs for the evening and that's hard without eating crap. (Recap: ketosis causes a decrease in moisture/mucus production in the body for some people. It does for me. In the past year, I have developed genetic Sjogren's Syndrome (basically dry body syndrome, the immune system attacks the mucus production, tears, and saliva production causing chronic dryness. This is bad for my eye health and can cause vision loss over time due to tears in the cornea. 100g carbs decreases the symptoms markedly.)

I also have a twinge in my wrist, so I'm thinking I need to rest this weekend and not do my 3rd strength training day. Which is a bummer, but I don't want a lengthy recovery from an injury so I'm just going to behave.

I'm hoping to get back down as close as I can to my goal weight (150), which I reached in Dec, but started trying to gain muscle. I did, but I also gained water weight from leaving Keto, and I'm sure some fat from stress eating from dealing with the Sjogren's and losing my mother and grandma within 2 weeks of one another. I'd like to get back down to at least 155 and stay. Lower would be nice, but I'll settle for 155 since some is muscle and I want to keep it.

Blah blah blah.
    Have a great weekend, everyone. :mrgreen:
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Somehow, after maintaining a good, solid low carb run for 12 months, I lost my drive. I've been battling my attitudes and focus for another half year - but haven't been able to regroup effectively. I'm at a loss.

Not even sure where to go from here. The basics for me right now might be to just let go of some unrealistic life expectations and be happy with who and what is currently in my life right at this moment.
    Think I'm just going to let go of good/bad mentality, and monitor what I do when the pressure is off and see if a new path comes to mind. Still planning to stick with lchf because I believe in it. Hoping to find my way back to a good flow that feels right.
    Although the deprivation I feel now is prolly not about food, I'm 100% using food as a substitute. So, if I let go of my hopes for a minute or two, maybe I can feel less deprived and the food plan will fall back into place.

July goals:
    What is important to me to monitor.

Yesterday:
    Water/electrolytes: ☆
    Log ☆
    Prelog ☆
    Under 20 Carb
    Under calorie
    Weigh in
    Activity ☆
    Social ☆
    Art
    Home ☆
    Job
  • ZarrusSkye
    ZarrusSkye Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So, here we go. I did keto for awhile, had great results with it, but fell off the wagon HARD. Gained back everything I'd lost. So I'm ready to try this again ;-)

SW: 213
    CW: 211
    GW: 185

And here are the goals for this month:

1. <40g of carbs daily
    2. Exercise 4-5 times a week
    3. <1600 kCals daily
    4. >100 oz of water daily
    5. Meditate daily

Good luck, everyone! Feel free to friend me!
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    July SW: 225
    GW: 215

Goals:
    Less than 30g net carbs/day
    Exercise 5x/week
    8 cups of water/day
    Read a daily devotional
    Take cal/mag and multivitamin daily

My struggle will be traveling with family to a BBQ this weekend.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    CW - 149
    GW for the end of July - 141
    (Lose 2 lbs per week)

Goals -
    - log daily
    - net carbs under 20 (start July 3)
    - restart exercising ... Specifics tbd
    - drink at least 2 litres of water each day
  • RebeccaMaunder