New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• synchrony16
    synchrony16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am Sarah. I'm a former chef who left the restaurant in July due to overwhelming stress, burnout, exhaustion & anxiety. I was just diagnosed with T2 diabetes yesterday. I have been changing my lifestyle ever since I left the kitchen, but this is a wake up call for me to lose some serious weight (60#), get stress & anxiety under control and exercise. Hopefully this app will help keep me motivated.

I am sad & ashamed that I let my self down and my poor lifestyle contributed to my diabetes. I am aiming to turn it around by the end of 2016. I don't know if that is realistic, but it's what I want to do.
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi All I've been T2 for almost 5 years now. I'm trying to recommit to doing what I need to do keep my T2 under control better & losing about 35 more pound. I control my T2 by diet & exercise only. I've never been on any medication for my T2D. I'm not very good about logging my food, but I do ok at logging blood sugars exercise. I really need some help. Thank you a head a time.
  • darth151
    darth151 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Doug, I live in the UK and I've been Type 2 Diabetic for 3 years. I work shifts which include nights and struggle to find good quick meals for shift workers, not to mention snacks. I also like beer and chocolate and would love someone to come up with ideas as to which chocolate is less damaging to my blood sugars and a low carb beer....

My sugar levels are on the whole steady, but possibly a bit high. But this should improve as I've just started swimming again and swim about 2000m a week, for now.
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so I'm not necessarily new to MFP (I joined about 3 yrs back, stopped using the site 'til Feb this year, installed the app) but I'm back because I've had to get serious about my health and weight loss. I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes late January this year, and ever since the diagnosis I've been very determined to lose the weight and to get my health in check. ☺ So far through calorie-counting on MFP and through exercising (joined a gym, and have PT sessions twice per week + attend on other days on a regular basis) I've lost almost 10kgs in 2 months.
    Recently an endocrinologist put me onto a VLCD for a few weeks (he said it's to help get the diabetes into remission) but it will be helpful to see other diabetics' eating plans for when I transition back to regular food. Feel free to add me :)
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm not new to MFP ,,I was diagnosed with type 2 a year ago. I've managed to lose 40 pounds and get off one med...but since getting off the one I've had to be very careful with counting carbs. My goal is to lose more and get off the other med.
  • asaadsaleh
    asaadsaleh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 since 2008, and took around 5 medications, until i decided to stop the medication and relay on food, but it didn't work out well, as my blood sugar was reaching 600, now i'm controlling it for the past year with daily sport and nutrition. please check my logs and add me as a friend for motivation.
    doing bodybuilding now, struggling to lower my fat % below 9 diabetes is playing a role here but i dropped from 21% to 9 in one year and i've never been better :)
    logging almost every meal on MFP. thank you for your support.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed with T2 last year and basically ignored it for several months, which obviously didn't help. So now I am trying to get my numbers under control and so far not doing too well. I'm trying to relearn what to eat and watching carbs. I recently started going to the gym too and am hoping to maybe lose enough that I can no longer be a diabetic. Trying to figure this out and finding that there is a science to it. Many trials and errors so far. I will be starting on Metformin as soon as my mail order meds arrive and hoping that helps. Looking for motivation, advice etc. Thanks ☺
  • ceilidh92
    ceilidh92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is David and I have been diagnosis with Diabetes. In fact, it's so recently that I haven't discussed the lab results with my doctor or consulted with the International Diabetes Center (for nutritional consulting), past my doctor stating I have Diabetes, recommended nutritional counseling, and prescribing me Metformin. I'm on the first week of the medication and am setting up an appointment with the IDC.

I've been using MFP for years, off and on throughout the time. I have liked using it for my efforts to loose weight and it's been the most successful for me then anything else. But I still fall off the routine when I hit a very long plateau in weight loss.

Now I am using the incentive of this Diagnosis to start again and help me maintain healthly eating habits and means of tracking what I ingest. My hope was that I could find another App that could sync with MFP to help with tracking other aspects of this disease. Like taking the Carb info from MFP and put it into another App that I put my Glucose results, to give me a overall view of health. If any of you have ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I am so NEW at this that it may not be necessary to be that anal on keeping records and monitoring them. But I would love your input on this. Realize that I haven't even gotten a testing unit or know anything about them. Or what I'm going to be needing to deal with through the rest of my life dealing with this disease.

I've researched what is a normal Carb intake for a larger man, like myself. And what I find is a recommended amount of 250-450mg of Carbs per day. My Carbs setting in MFP has set it to 381mg. Does that seem like a reasonable amount? Or is this something that the IDC consultant with help me determine?

Any ideas will help me greatly. Thank you

Sincerely,
    David S. Novak
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Melanie, I'm a T2 diabetic, diagnosed 11 years ago. I managed it well for 5 years on Actos, but when my medication received a black box warning by the FDA, my doc would no longer prescribe it and my insurance company wouldn't pay for it. I was switched to Metformin, which made me very ill, much worse than the normal upset tummy people get, so I was put on insulin, a long lasting and fast acting.

Fast forward 5 years, I gained a ton of weight and really struggled to lose any weight without major calorie restriction, to the point where it just wasn't sustainable. I was up to 310 units of insulin a day and was very depressed. Last December after significant research, I decided to try a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. I've lost 59 lbs and dropped my insulin down from 310 units a day to just 10-20 units a day.

I still have a very long way to go on my weight loss journey, and I'm just taking it one day at a time, but for the first time in years I feel really positive about my health.
  • Mixedcoffees
    Mixedcoffees Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Josh. I been taking metformin for my type 2 diabetes for a few years. I have lost 36 pounds since January 2016. Will see my medical doctor on May 9th to compare my new blood work with last years blood work. I will be happy if my A1C has gone down.
  • snowdog877
    snowdog877 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to T2 and this group. I just started using MyFitnessPal "for real" today, but I guess I signed on originally in 2011. I'm sure this group will be helpful for me, and I'm hopeful I can help someone else, too.
    Mike
  • Von810
    Von810 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a returning MFP member. I've not been good at handling my T2 diabetes and want to begin again fresh. I am now testing 3 times a day and realizing that my choices have not been as good as I thought. I'm looking for support and suggestions.
  • fdgrafius
    fdgrafius Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Frank. I'm 38 and was diagnosed with T2 last week... I'm not shocked, since I have been living in denial for a while. Up until this year, I had not had insurance for a while. But I finally bit the bullet and went to the doc to confirm what I already knew to be true.

Based on the initial testing, I am not required to be on insulin, which I am relieved by. I was prescribed Metformin & Lisinopril, but had an allergic reaction to the Lisinopril (angioedema) and spent the weekend in the hospital... Awesome... So, I'm sure meds will change.

I have been on MFP for a while... Several years ago, I lost 70 pounds doing P90X and counting calories. It was great and MFP was a huge part of my success. Today, P90X is just too hard on my joints and too demanding a regimen to sustain.

The plan, as of now, is to drop the carbs substantially, count the calories religiously, and start low impact exercise immediately. I'm going to be doing DDP Yoga and swimming in our neighborhood pool.

My first long-term goal is to stay off of insulin. The second would be to get off of meds. The third would be to stay off of meds. This is all brand new to me, though, so I value encouragement and helpful tips.

I'm working through a bunch of emotions about the whole thing, but the bottom line is that I have a wife of 10 years and three kids (8, 6, and 2) who need me and whose lives I want to share a lot more of. There is really not anything else to say, but let's get started. Cheers!
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi Frank!! If you can stay motivated and embrace your journey I am sure you will do well! Sounds like a bit of a rough start!
    Swimming is an absolutely fabulous way of getting fit! I swim and swear it's made all the difference in my fitness along with walking. It's easy on the joints too. By the next checkup you can improve!! Believe it!!!
    Try to see a dietician if you can!! They can help immensely based on what sort of diet you want to follow and there is a low carb/high fat group here too that is popular.
    I just ate balanced with lower carbs whilst losing weight.
    I would try and eat many more green and leafy veggies and less of the corn/peas/potatoes type of diet though they are ok now and then. Fish, lean meat, poultry all good and keep the 80/20 rule so you don't get off and binge which can happen.
    Any questions there are a host of people
    Who can answer and try to help!! Best wishes on your journey to better health!! It can happen!! believe!!!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. I was diagnosed two decades ago, but at the same time, I was diagnosed with another illness that was, according to my doctors, supposed to kill me by the end of 2011. Well, guess what . . . . :smiley:
    So with those two diagnoses, I decided not to deal with the diabetes. I recently changed my mind.
    I have been using insulin for a week now, and I know a little more than at the start, but I am still floundering. Thought I could learn more here.
  • sheilaparsleyministries
    Options
    Hi I'm Sheila I'm a Type 2 for 10 yrs no meds my dietician recommended myfitnesspal so here I am
  • la24lomax
    la24lomax Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm LA...new to the group. I'm "pre-diabetic" and have been for over a year. I was recently diagnosed with a benign pancreatic tumor and am preparing for surgery. My doctor told me when they remove the tumor they are taking part of the pancreas with it. As a result, I will likely have type 2 diabetes and be placed on insulin, since I will not have a fully functioning pancreas. I need to lose 50-60 pounds to try and get this under control.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I hope everything works out super-well, @la24lomax. Kepp us up-to-date, okay?
  • jessiperez826
    jessiperez826 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Jessica.. and I just got diagnosed with T2 exactly one month ago... It is all.confusing at the moment.. I will get to understand and learn to live with it.. I am currently taking Metformin twice a day and I am exercising regularly now that I got diagnosed..

Any help will be greatly appreciated
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Kim., and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week. I had gestational diabetes two years ago, but that went away. I never thought I would develop full blown diabetes. No one in my family is diabetic, except I had a maternal great grandmother. I'm on metformin x2 a day. I'm finding it hard to figure out if I am eating the right amount for carbs. I can definitely tell when I'm low! Waiting on my doctor to send in the script for the BG monitor.