New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• LadyNiteOwl
    LadyNiteOwl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. I'm back. I was here 2 1/2 years ago but didn't stick to it. I'm T2 and I've never been fully under control in all this time. My doc took off a piece of my bum yesterday when I saw her. My A1C is 8.5. My fasting levels are always >200. I'm on metformin and farxigia (new drug) but she's changing both of those meds to something stronger and giving us 6 weeks to get this under control or i'm going on insulin. And the high levels of glucose are affecting my vision. So, I'm back. I could stand to take off a couple of pounds but I am not obese (181 lbs). She isn't worried about my weight. It's my diet. I'm also hyperlidemic with triglycerides previously over 350 (now controlled with Crestor). I've done some reading and I now understand insulin resistance a little better but i'm still a novice. I'm a southern boy. If it isn't fried, we don't eat it. I guess that has to change. Anyway, hello everyone. It's nice to meet you. :) Tony
  • LadyNiteOwl
    LadyNiteOwl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back! I know it hard to eat right cause I used to be the Queen of the Junkfood Junkies. I suggest you use MFP Food Diary to plan healthy meals and snacks ahead of time. Try to keep you carbs low. Has your doctor given you any info on what she would like you to eat?
  • carriebro
    Options
    Hi! My name is Carrie and I was just diagnosed about a month ago. I have attended the first few hours of a diabetes education program (the next session is this coming week). They recommended that we utilize an online resource for keeping track of food and exercise and I happened to read good things about MFP - so here I am! I am 42 years old. I feel pretty overwhelmed right now and trying to figure out exactly how many carbs vs fat vs calories etc.
  • candivito
    Options
    Hi, Carrie! I have also been recently diagnosed and I can absolutely relate to how you are feeling. I started out focusing only on carb intake and lowering my blood sugar level. Once that came down I started looking at calories and carbs and the types of carbs I was eating. So far that has worked for me. I am now experimenting with calories and carbs to stay under the calorie count on myfitnesspal while still trying to maintain a daily carb intake of 50-75. Sometimes this gets tricky and it can be frustrating. Right now I am on insulin shots and Metformin. The Metformin is giving me side effects so I have stopped taking it and hopeful my doctor can come up with some other option. Just hang in there and take it a day at a time. For me, I have to take it a snack at a time in order to get through my day. What has really helped is that I no longer eat three regular sized meals a day. I eat a snack every two hours all day. When eating so often I have noticed that over time I am eating less, not hungry, and can keep a better handle on the types of foods I am eating. I log everything into myfitnesspal as I eat it and seeing it in black and white helps me stay away from going really overboard on those days when I just want something I probably shouldn't. I'm pretty chatty, so if you want to keep in touch just add me as a friend and I will be happy to give you whatever support I can.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    hi there.
    my name is ruth, i'm in the UK and i'm not diabetic but my boyfriend found out he has type 2 two days ago. as i do all the shopping and cooking i feel that it is up to me to educate myself as to what is what and do my best to help him.

at the moment we don't know much, he's been put on metformin, im not sure what does other than he has to increase it next week. he has an appointment with a diabetes nurse but that isn't until the 19th september almost 3 weeks since diagnosis, the doctor believes he may have actually been diabetic for the past three years judging by his medical history but nobody out 2 and 2 together and did conclusive tests and he's not someone for going to the doctors even if he's unwell, thankfully he got sick of me nagging him about a reoccuring abcess and got a doctor that wanted to test him for everything while he was there.

he is monitoring his levels using an accuchek mobile device which imports data into computer program that he can print off and he is keeping a food diary so he can take information with him to his appointment.

i feel a bit overwhelmed and guilty by it all as although i've tried to encourage him to be active and lose weight i've still fed him what he wanted and portion sizes that he wanted, he's a grown man after all and can make his own mind up but i am hoping that the diagnosis will at least make him think twice about what he is eating (i'll be fighting a losing battle trying to get him to exercise) and we can see some improvements and that it helps me with my weight loss.

ok i think i've rambled enough now lol

Hi Ruth, Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group at myfitnesspal!

Your boyfriend is clearly very lucky to have you in his corner for help and support. As you mentioned, he's a grown man and the responsibility for adopting healthier eating and exercise habits for better blood sugar control to prevent or delay the severe complications associated with uncontrolled blood sugars assuredly lies ultimately in his court with the choices (he) makes.

A couple of links to a great online resource for pwd living in the UK.

1) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/diabetes-and-metformin.html

2) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/index.html

I would encourage him to seek out the help from a diabetes education course in his area along with scheduling an appointment with a registered dietitian specializing in diabetic nutrition in his area too, as many newly diagnosed individuals completing these classes find them to be very beneficial.

Cheers to you and you and your boyfriend too!:drinker:
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi! My name is Carrie and I was just diagnosed about a month ago. I have attended the first few hours of a diabetes education program (the next session is this coming week). They recommended that we utilize an online resource for keeping track of food and exercise and I happened to read good things about MFP - so here I am! I am 42 years old. I feel pretty overwhelmed right now and trying to figure out exactly how many carbs vs fat vs calories etc.

Hi Carrie, welcome!

It's great you've enrolled in a diabetes education course. An initial diagnosis of this chronic condition brings with it a wide range of emotions and many questions too.

The myfitnesspal program is a powerful tracking tool that really works when applied correctly. Each of us is unique when it comes to controlling this chronic condition successfully. Using your glucose meter testing before mealtimes and 1.5 to 2hrs after is going to bring you the best information on how your body reacts to the food (carb) choices you've made.

From these after meal test results you'll quickly learn how the choices you've made affected your blood sugar target and management goals established by your healthcare provider.

bloodsugar101.com is a great online resource to answer some of the questions you might have, easing your confusion.

Good Luck and Good Health!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group! :smile:

Hi, my name is Bob. I'm living a happy, healthy and complication free lifestyle since my T2 diagnosis in 1982.

I'm treating my T2D condition with Lantus long acting insulin, Metformin 2x/day, along with Novolog mealtime insulin to cover my mealtime carbohydrates. It's also important for me to incorporate a weekly exercise routine whenever possible-to help me reduce the insulin resistance issues associated with having Type 2 diabetes.

Have a look around the various thread topics within this group, and ask questions when you feel comfortable. There are many kind, supportive and knowledgeable members of this group eager to share their experiences with you on what works for them-and what hasn't worked for them too.

Sharing your contributions and experiences with this very supportive community is strongly encouraged and warmly welcomed.

One of the foremost frustrating issues living with a condition of diabetes is, each of us is unique in how we approach the management of this condition. From the medications we take, our food choices, blood sugar management goals each of us has-and how the food and exercise choices we make effect our individualistic blood sugar target and management goals-just to name a few.

The good news is, the myftinesspal program, when applied honestly and correctly is a powerful tool, to help you reach for your goals, by tracking the food choices you make and how those choices effect your blood sugar testing results.

If you're newly diagnosed-I strongly encourage you to seek out the recommendation of a diabetes education course in your area-from your healthcare provider, as many newly diagnosed with this condition find them to be very beneficial.

Best wishes for your good health and success!
  • carriebro
    Options
    Thanks Bob and thanks Candivito. :) I have no idea how to "add" someone - but thank you for the offer candivito :)
    Bob - it looks like you've been very successful with weight loss. I have a lot of weight to lose (over 100lbs) but for now I m just taking it all day by day, making good decisions with food and moving my body a lot more. I am doing sleep studies right now to determine if I have sleep apnea (my husband and pretty much anyone else who has been near me when I sleep says that I def DO - haha). I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue and if resolving/helping the sleep apnea (with cpap in the short term, and also weight loss long term) helped with keeping your numbers in line.

Thanks!
    Carrie
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Carrie,

Taking steps towards improvement one day at a time is a good-sound approach. The myftinesspal tracking program has been a blessing for me. It took a year to reach and exceed my goal weight expectations. This program really does work!

See the help link below: How do I invite a current member to be my friend on MyFitnessPal?..
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12032-how-do-i-invite-a-current-member-to-be-my-friend-on-myfitnesspal-

You can click on the username under a profile pic.>choose "add as a friend", asking for a friend request. Adding a message with your request is warmly welcomed too.

You might want to start a new topic in this community to seek out help from others in this group with sleep apnea experiences too.

Good luck with your studies!
  • michaelarcand
    michaelarcand Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My name is Michael and I'm from East Texas. T2 since Feb 2010. Finally got serious last December. Was on glimeperide 4mg / day and metformin 2000 mg/day. Now just on the metformin. Numbers mostly between 70-140 these days. Doing LCHF diet and working on getting my exercise routine back in place.
  • Bellyemperor
    Options
    Hi,

I am 28 years old type 2 diabetic. I was dxed with a1c of 13 in 2007. Taking 2000mg metformin since then. I lost about 10 lbs and now my A1c is 5.6. I have to loose about 60-80 pounds to be in the normal BMI category. I did c-peptide test and value came back high. Since my last A1c i have lost about 2 pounds in the last month. I am watching my diet very closely. I will be loosing all my weight in upcoming months or in an year. If I exercise regularly, loose all my weight and watch my diet religiously every day of my life, at least can I avoid insulin for next 20-30 years?

Myfitnesspal is helping me with restricing my daily calorie intake, previously it I was unable to track everything so accurate.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My name is Michael and I'm from East Texas. T2 since Feb 2010. Finally got serious last December. Was on glimeperide 4mg / day and metformin 2000 mg/day. Now just on the metformin. Numbers mostly between 70-140 these days. Doing LCHF diet and working on getting my exercise routine back in place.

Welcome to the group Michael. That's great you are getting serious now about your type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed in April of this year. The exercise has been helping me a lot with my numbers.

Amber :)
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi,

I am 28 years old type 2 diabetic. I was dxed with a1c of 13 in 2007. Taking 2000mg metformin since then. I lost about 10 lbs and now my A1c is 5.6. I have to loose about 60-80 pounds to be in the normal BMI category. I did c-peptide test and value came back high. Since my last A1c i have lost about 2 pounds in the last month. I am watching my diet very closely. I will be loosing all my weight in upcoming months or in an year. If I exercise regularly, loose all my weight and watch my diet religiously every day of my life, at least can I avoid insulin for next 20-30 years?

Myfitnesspal is helping me with restricing my daily calorie intake, previously it I was unable to track everything so accurate.

Welcome bellyemperor!

Congratulations bringing your A1c down to 5.6! High levels of peptide are commonly found in individuals with type 2 diabetes and/or having conditions of insulin resistance.

The myfitnesspal tracking program is a powerful tool, and really does work when it's applied honestly and correctly.

Investing in a digital food scale continues to help me count carbs accurately while managing and maintaining portion control too for continued success.

This is a very knowledgeable and friendly community group, eager to help and share our experiences living with this chronic condition.

Have a look around at the various thread topics posted, your questions and contributions are encouraged and warmly welcomed too.

Wishing you success and good health!
    ~Bob
  • Bellyemperor
    Options
    Thanks Bob. I also had a question on the insulin use. Could you please answer that as well?
  • mccoll67
    mccoll67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a mess around food. I have uncontrolled T2 (last 2 years) and an A1C of 9.5 with average sugars around 215. I have done Overeaters Anonymous for a number of years in the past and just let my food/exercise slide the last 10 years.

I can't honestly say I have a lot of hope re: my ability to change at this point, but I do have some good news to report: I signed up for a 'cook it yourself low carb meal plan' that helped me put 40 servings of healthy food in the freezer. I've got 2 low-carb days behind me now, and maybe I can do it.

I don't know...I have a 4 year old little girl and want to stay alive for her. I eat for emotional soothing, as so many of us do. I have been approved for bariatric surgery, but have been trying to do it on my own the last 2 years (unsuccessfully, I might add). There is a good chance bariatric surgery could significantly help the diabetes.

I haven't consistently tested my blood sugars or taken my 2000 mg of metformin, but am starting to do it the last 2 weeks...I have been in denial and feeling afraid. Just wanted to share. Hope I can meet someone who has gone to the brink like I have and come back with style and grace. Best wishes, mccoll67
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Thanks Bob. I also had a question on the insulin use. Could you please answer that as well?

Hi Bellyemperor,

Sure. Post your question here, or send me an PM.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes yesterday morning. I have an appointment with another doctor at the end of the month, but I want to start changing my diet now. I'm not sure how realistic it is to think I could control it without medication, but I would like to try if the doctor lets me.

Any tips and hints especially with regard to meal plans would be gratefully accepted!
  • kalenawald
    kalenawald Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have known my whole life that T2 was in my genes, but simply ignored it. Even when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during both my pregnancies, I ignored it. Then in 2013, I started losing weight - a lot - without trying, my hair started falling out, I was hitting the bathroom 20 times a day (and night!), thirsty, thirsty, thirsty all the time... I knew what the symptoms meant, but I went into denial, and hoped that it would just go away. Finally, out of fear of losing my limbs or eyesight, I coudn't ignore it anymore. I went to the doctor in May of this year and had an A1C of 11.5 (283 - yikes!). The doctor said that technically, I should be on insulin, but said she would give me 3 months to get healthy by eating right and exercising, and prescribed the lowest dose of Metformin to help me along. The first thing I did was (re)join MFP!! I just went for my follow-up doctor visit last week, and my A1C was down to 7.5 - just .5 higher than the goal that was set for me. I have another appointment in 4 months, and am PRAYING that I can get off the Metformin. I just now found this group, and I'm anxious to keep up with other folks who are fighting the same battle as me!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes yesterday morning. I have an appointment with another doctor at the end of the month, but I want to start changing my diet now. I'm not sure how realistic it is to think I could control it without medication, but I would like to try if the doctor lets me.

Any tips and hints especially with regard to meal plans would be gratefully accepted!

What were your starting numbers (fasting glucose and a1c)?

If you ask 10 people with diabetes, you'll get 10 different answers because we all react to the foods we eat differently. With that said, I think we'd all agree to eliminate high fructose corn syrup and simple sugars, processed flours, and to begin an exercise program right away (even if it's just 20 minutes of walking a day).

Another common piece of advice that is generally agreed upon is to test your blood often in the beginning months so you'll know what affects you. I tested first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then an hour and 2 hours after each meal. You'll really learn how your body reacts to various foods. Now I test first thing in the morning and an hour after dinner. I may test if I have to eat out or am having something new. If I'm running high in the afternoon or evening, I get out for a 10 minute power walk.

I didn't wait to see an Endo after diagnosis before making changes. I went a little extreme at first and basically ate veggies and chicken only. I then added steel cut oats in the morning and occasionally I have a half of sweet potato or quinoa. I choose carbohydrates that have a longer absorption rate. However, I'm still added sugar and flour free.

Don't wait to start testing your blood. If you weren't prescribed a glucose meter w/ testing strips, you can pick up a Wal Mart or Target brand meter for pretty cheap. A lot of us have 2 meters. The meter prescribed for us and covered with insurance and a cheaper brand as well. I use my prescribed meter for my morning testing and a Target brand for anything else during the day.

Hope this helps. :)
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Peloton, thanks for your message!

I thought that here in Finland I would need a prescription to buy a blood glucose monitor but no! I was able to buy it myself and a supply of lancets and test strips, so tomorrow morning I will begin logging my blood glucose levels. I am really keen to start eating right and bring something to show the doctor when I see her at the end of the month.

They are taking some kind of creatine urine test, but I'm not 100% sure what it is as I don't speak Finnish. This is actually one of my biggest challenges, navigating health care here in Finland. I know at least that they are huge on prevention as well as on monitoring you once you do have a health problem, so I think I'm in good hands.

Now that I think about it, the problems which I attributed to stress were most likely diabetic symptoms but I either missed them or didn't want to know. I took a day off yesterday and went to Estonia on a boat. I had some time to think alone and get my head around this diagnosis. I really want to get my blood sugar under control without medication if possible!