New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My name is Chris. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes on July 25th. My AIC was 7%, my blood sugar was 122, my cholesterol was high and my blood pressure is high. I also had elevated liver enzymes. I started on 500mg of metformin twice per day and also started a HBP medication. I am 48, 5 11 and 258 pounds. Wow! That is probably a lot more data than you wanted but people seem to be interested in the numbers. :)

My desire is to manage my diabetes by managing my nutrition, exercise, and stress. I would like to get off of all of my medications. I would welcome new friends who are on a similar journey. If you are, please 'friend' me.

Wishing you good health and happiness. :)

Welcome Chris!

As mrron points out, this is an active community eager to share experiences with one another on what's worked and hasn't worked towards improving our blood sugar management, and to also lend a hand of encouraging support whenever possible knowing we aren't alone on living life's journey with T2D.

bloodsugar101.com is a great invaluable online diabetes management resource designed to help answer any questions you might have.

Best of luck accomplishing your goals!

Bob
  • bdubya55
    Options
    HI there, I was recently (within the last month) diagnosed with T2 diabetes. My numbers were 9%A1C, sugar 236.
    Just randomly scrolling through, I realize that there is a wealth of knowledge here. I started exercising and following a 30/30/40 meal plan, but I have a question. When I log in my foods and exercise, I consistently fall short of my calorie goal. On a typical day I come in at about 1100-1200 a day... with my exercise (today 1 hour cardio, 1 hour circuit) , I'm burning more calories than I am taking in.. usually a good thing, but I am worried that I am effectively "starving" myself... but I don't feel hungry... I feel pretty good, as a matter of fact. Should I be concerned about not getting enough calories?

Hi Cherry, Welcome!

I'm glad you're finding this community helpful. Yes you should be concerned if your consuming enough calories. I would encourage you to seek out the advise of a registered dietitian specializing in diabetes nutrition from your healthcare provider as many people who find these sessions to be very beneficial.
  • candivito
    Options
    Hi! I was just diagnosed with T2 almost two weeks ago. My A1C was 10.9 so my doc started me on 10 units of Lantus and Metformin twice a day. My BS went from 316 to 142 and I have slowly increased Lantus to 16 units. I feel a little lost because it seems no matter how low I keep the carbs during the day, my BS is always higher in the morning. I take my BS before bed and it is usually around 124. I eat a protein snack before bed but the numbers are always higher in the morning. Last night I felt sick to my stomach and it woke me up. I took my BS and it was 155. When I got up at 7:00am it had gone up to 162. I am so frustrated. I have tried experimenting with my carb intake during the day. I was eating 75 carbs or less a day. I tried going to 20-40 carbs a day and it still isn't making a difference. Thank you for having this support group. It helps to know I'm not alone.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi candivito, Welcome to the T2D Support Group!

It's great your seeing an improvement from 316 to 142. Morning (fasting) glucose levels can be the most difficult to control due to the "dawn phenomenon" effect many people with T2D experience.

Why Is Blood Sugar Highest in the Morning? Check out the helpful and informative link below

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/17561156.php

Having an honest discussion with your healthcare provider, sharing your fasting test results over time, will help him/her make recommendations to address your higher morning numbers.

Good luck, please know you aren't alone here!
  • express1975
    express1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Louis, I'm 39 and working on losing the weight I've collected since I was a child. When I was 20, my doctor told me if I did not change my ways I would be diabetic by the time I was 28. I did not heed the advice and by the time I was 26, I was diagnosed. I ate what I wanted, drank sodas and alcohol. I smoked and I was on the fast track to an early grave. Both of my parents were type 2, my dad was on insulin ever since I could remember. Both of them died from heart disease and diabetes was a contributing factor. We ate alot of sugar and carbs, not much activities. It was just a toxic mix. And I was going down the same road.
    But I am proud to say I was able to turn it around. At my heaviest I was 425lbs, I was taking 1000mg metformin a day and it was barely working. I had talked to my dr. about gastric bypass and she was willing to do what she could to help me. I also had fertility/low T issues and I had a endocrinologist and urologist I was seeing. I lost some weight prior to MFP and when I started using it, I was able to get a better handle on my health. Today I'm 308lbs, I no longer take meds for diabetes. I've been doing bloodwork every 3 months this year and my numbers are consistant with someone who is not diabetic. I took meds for diabetes, high blood pressure and high chloresterol. Now I only take a multivitamin and med for low T. And I have a 2 yr old son and another boy on the way. I hope I can help others with my experiences. I believe diabetes is not a disease, per se, but a result of condition. I changed my condition and I was able to win. I'd like to help others, Add me!
  • joyroper28
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 last week...although during my pregnancy last year I had gestational diabetes and have always had an issue with my weight ,and diabetes runs in my immediate family for sure so I should have seen this coming. I guess in hindsight I probably just shrugged it off not wanting to deal with it, now that I have my son who I love unconditionally and cant imagine not being there for him, I need to get myself in better health. although I have dieted before and tried all types of fad diets id still say my biggest issue is getting off my butt and exercising. And as I've gotten older I feel I've made more excuses like not having enough time and just wanting to rest. No matter how many times I ask friends for support Its not their battle in the end; its mine. anyone have any suggestions on ways to keep yourself motivated? in keeping track with diet and more specifically in exercise ?
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 last week...although during my pregnancy last year I had gestational diabetes and have always had an issue with my weight ,and diabetes runs in my immediate family for sure so I should have seen this coming. I guess in hindsight I probably just shrugged it off not wanting to deal with it, now that I have my son who I love unconditionally and cant imagine not being there for him, I need to get myself in better health. although I have dieted before and tried all types of fad diets id still say my biggest issue is getting off my butt and exercising. And as I've gotten older I feel I've made more excuses like not having enough time and just wanting to rest. No matter how many times I ask friends for support Its not their battle in the end; its mine. anyone have any suggestions on ways to keep yourself motivated? in keeping track with diet and more specifically in exercise ?
    Welcome!

So I'll just give you my little bit of thought on exercise. I've been working on the eating part for over 100 days now and decided that for my 2nd 100 days I'd add the exercise component. For the 1st 100 I just worried about getting the eating right. I'm keeping the exercise simple for now - I just promised myself I'd log 30 minutes of "on purpose" exercise every day. No rules about how I exercise other than I have to do something for 30 minutes. Some days it's just a 30 minute walk right before bed - other days it's way more vigorous.

Best advice across the board is to make small changes that you can sustain forever vs. changing everything all at once and feeling overwhelmed.

Hope that help - I think you did the right thing by tapping in to this group. This group of people are very helpful!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Louis, I'm 39 and working on losing the weight I've collected since I was a child. When I was 20, my doctor told me if I did not change my ways I would be diabetic by the time I was 28. I did not heed the advice and by the time I was 26, I was diagnosed. I ate what I wanted, drank sodas and alcohol. I smoked and I was on the fast track to an early grave. Both of my parents were type 2, my dad was on insulin ever since I could remember. Both of them died from heart disease and diabetes was a contributing factor. We ate alot of sugar and carbs, not much activities. It was just a toxic mix. And I was going down the same road.
    But I am proud to say I was able to turn it around. At my heaviest I was 425lbs, I was taking 1000mg metformin a day and it was barely working. I had talked to my dr. about gastric bypass and she was willing to do what she could to help me. I also had fertility/low T issues and I had a endocrinologist and urologist I was seeing. I lost some weight prior to MFP and when I started using it, I was able to get a better handle on my health. Today I'm 308lbs, I no longer take meds for diabetes. I've been doing bloodwork every 3 months this year and my numbers are consistant with someone who is not diabetic. I took meds for diabetes, high blood pressure and high chloresterol. Now I only take a multivitamin and med for low T. And I have a 2 yr old son and another boy on the way. I hope I can help others with my experiences. I believe diabetes is not a disease, per se, but a result of condition. I changed my condition and I was able to win. I'd like to help others, Add me!

Hi Louis, Welcome!

Thanks for sharing. I suspect many individuals within this supportive group can identify and empathize with portions of your life experiences you've shared leading to your diagnosis. Wow. Congratulations on the birth of your first son along with the joy of an additional son on the way!

Clearly you've made some changes over your previous lifestyle by adopting new healthier habits, as evidenced by your weight loss progress in addition to no longer needing the help of diabetes or cholesterol medications. Truly a commendable effort Louis!

Your an inspiration, I wish you continued success and good health as you welcome another new gift of life to love, with the birth of your soon to be next child.
  • express1975
    Options

Hi Louis, Welcome!

Thanks for sharing. I suspect many individuals within this supportive group can identify and empathize with portions of your life experiences you've shared leading to your diagnosis. Wow. Congratulations on the birth of your first son along with the joy of an additional son on the way!

Clearly you've made some changes over your previous lifestyle by adopting new healthier habits, as evidenced by your weight loss progress in addition to no longer needing the help of diabetes or cholesterol medications. Truly a commendable effort Louis!

Your an inspiration, I wish you continued success and good health as you welcome another new gift of life to love, with the birth of your soon to be next child.
  • express1975
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, I'm really excited about this group. I can use all the positivity I can get!
  • crymsnroze
    Options
    Hi, my name is Holly, I'm 32 and just today was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance or pre-diabetes.

For the last three weeks I've been experiencing what seems to be daily symptoms of slight dizziness, tremors, anxiety (lump in throat), headaches, and others on occasion like sweats, palpitations, etc. Unsure if the anxiety itself is a result of pre-diabetes or if it is just from dealing with the other symptoms so long.

Looking for a way to stop these symptoms by trying diet and exercise. Next step would be to schedule a tilt table test (my blood pressure has been normal every time I visit the doctor).

If anyone else has other opinions or recommendations, I'd be glad to read them :flowerforyou:
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Melissa and I got diagnosed with T2 back in 2008. I was in denial for so long, who wants to give up the carbs that I love. I just realized that I was headed down a horrible path if I didn't change NOW!. I am one month in to this new life change and I sometimes think it is way too hard and I can't handle it. My husband is once in a while supportive but then expects to continue eating the horrible food that I used to love. :( If only I could find a support buddy that understands the struggles, I think I would be ok then. Right now, doing this by myself, I am not okay. I find myself wanting to cry and give up. I feel so alone with this life change, I try to force my husband but he refuses to help.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa.

I think I can relate to you in several ways - it took me nearly 6 years and the doctor threatening me with insulin injections before I got my head around changing things for good. My wife is pre-diabetic and every day I wish she would make changes for her own good, but I try to remember how hard it was for me to do the same.

Somewhere in your struggle you have to find your inner strength to keep on without expecting any support from your husband. I know that sounds hard, but figure out why you are trying to change and make that your focus. I call it finding your "WHY". Once I found mine, there was no stopping me. I wish I had found it sooner, but life just ain't that way.

It has taken my family time to adjust to the changes I've made. There are a few resturants I refuse to go to because they do not serve anything I feel comfortable eating. Most resturants have options and I do my best but at first my son kept trying to force me to eat french fries or desert and I just politely said I didn't want them.

Tapping in to the group here should be good for you. I get a ton of support from a few members that I've friended and look forward to their words of encouragement every day. The longer it's been the more supportive my wife has become. I think I had tried this so many times she just figured it would pass with time. But now she knows the changes are here for good and she has fully gotten behind me. She was really happy when my 3 month results showed how much I had improved and shared the news on FB (as I wasn't going to brag there). It felt awesome as all my friends and family really offered a lot of praise.

Just hang in there - and feel free to friend me for encouragement. You have it in you - it's got to be important to you as you are here looking for help. With time hopefully your husband will see how hard you are working and want to be more supportive.
  • SammyDizzle81
    SammyDizzle81 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My name is Samantha I'm 32 and just found out Tuesday about my diabetes...so it's all new to me!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Samantha,

A diagnosis of diabetes usually brings with it a wide range of emotions for many people, and a lot of unanswered questions too. Please know you're not alone here.

This is a great community, eager to support and encourage one another, with the common goal of managing this chronic condition sucessfully.

One of the most frustrating aspects experienced with having this condition is one size doesn't fit all. Each of us is unique. What might work for one individual may not work for someone else, when it comes to the various food choices we make, and how those choices affect our individual blood sugar target goals.

Many T2D's experience higher glucose levels after eating white starchy foods like most breads, cereal, oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta and most processed foods.

I would encourage you to seek out the help of a diabetes education course along with a registered dietitian specializing in diabetic nutrition in your area from your healthcare provider if you haven't already. Many newly diagnosed find this course of action very beneficial.

A couple of links below are designed to answer some of your questions.

bloodsugar101.com (an excellent resource)

http://www.diabetes-without-borders.org/
    (your first year with diabetes, by Will DuBois, Diabetes Author, Educator and a diabetic himself)

Have a look around the various thread topics and asked questions when you feel comfortable. There are many very knowledgeable members of this group eager to share their help and experiences.

Welcome!

Bob
  • pmaxim25
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Paige, and I'm 30 years old. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a month ago. Nearly everyone in my family has been diagnosed, so I knew it was coming someday. Fortunately, my blood pressure and cholesterol are both excellent. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum. :)
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bob!

By the way, my name's Don

I just got back the results--A1c dropped .02, but blood sugar is still high at 130 average. He's keeping me on metformin 500mg per day for the next 3 months. He wants me to measure food and drop weight. I've only dropped 6 lbs. in three months which is disappointing.

Do you or anyone know of a good diabetic nutritionist in Tampa, Florida area?

I've been keeping track of food and exercise on Myfitnesspal app. My goal is to get to 170 lbs which is 20 lbs away.

I don't have any pics of myself, but here's my pal-Priscilla
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Paige, and I'm 30 years old. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a month ago. Nearly everyone in my family has been diagnosed, so I knew it was coming someday. Fortunately, my blood pressure and cholesterol are both excellent. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum. :)

Hi Paige,

I hope you find your experience here helpful and supportive.

A couple of links below are designed to answer some of your questions.

bloodsugar101.com (an excellent resource)

http://www.diabetes-without-borders.org/
    (your first year with diabetes, by Will DuBois, Diabetes Author, Educator and a diabetic himself)

Have a look around the various thread topics and asked questions when you feel comfortable. There are many very knowledgeable members of this group eager to share their help and experiences.

Welcome!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Thanks Bob!

By the way, my name's Don

I just got back the results--A1c dropped .02, but blood sugar is still high at 130 average. He's keeping me on metformin 500mg per day for the next 3 months. He wants me to measure food and drop weight. I've only dropped 6 lbs. in three months which is disappointing.

Do you or anyone know of a good diabetic nutritionist in Tampa, Florida area?

I've been keeping track of food and exercise on Myfitnesspal app. My goal is to get to 170 lbs which is 20 lbs away.

I don't have any pics of myself, but here's my pal-Priscilla

Hi there Don,

Congrats on the improvements you've made, your heading in the right direction! Using the MFP powerful nutritional tracking tools program consistently along with adding in exercise will help you achieve your goals.

Many area hospitals in your area might offer a diabetes education course to include the help of a registered dietitian too within these classes as a part of the overall experience. My local SW Ohio hospital offers such a course incorporating both a diabetes education program along with a registered dietitian assessment of your individual needs offering a plan designed to fit what works for you.

Good Luck!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Thanks--we have a NEW hospital in the area that I'm sure would have some education classes. I tried our YMCA for a program, but they only do it for pre-diabetic folks. Wish I'd known that before my A1c jumped me into being diabetic. I'll let you know what happens. Don