People who don't understand

Options
Carnivorekat
Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
Have a friend who keeps trying to get me to join in with her way of eating- she works for Juice Plus and I do understand the need to get others interested when you think your way of eating is the right way but tried to explain that we have to find our own way - was told by her that my way of eating wasn't achievable long term and that I should think about more balance. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh it was frustrating but I know this works for me

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    na05j7duvd34.jpeg

>:) or o:)

Amen.

My son and daughter-in-law live with me, and they are vegan. I can appreciate their reasons for not wanting to eat animal products, and would not try to sway them as long as they are healthy, which they are right now. I even tried to be vegan with them. But I found myself feeling tired and sluggish all the time, and my blood sugar numbers were getting worse and worse (T2D). I was eating way too many carbs in order to get the protein my body needed, and avoiding fat because we're all supposed to avoid fat. Right?

I gave up on the vegan WOE and added dairy products back to my vegetarian menu. Still, I had low energy and high blood sugar. My A1C crept up over 8, so my doctor doubled my medication. Then I started LCHF a month ago, and what do you know? My blood sugar levels have been back in the normal range without the medication. As a bonus, I have lost 6.5 lbs, and have plenty of energy again. I'm looking forward to my next round of blood work to see what my A1C is this time!

@kathrout1973 as you said, we have to find our own way. If my son and his wife stay healthy on the vegan WOE, that's great for them. If the Juice Plus stuff helps your friend stay healthy, bravo to her. And bravo to you for doing what you know works for you!

• hgaspard83
    hgaspard83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    yes , so many people just don t get it , you can eat that on your diet ???, yes its high fat , low carb
    kills me , and my husband is always asking you want to est (high carb food here) ? no , just no
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It's laughable how some have strongly *suggested* different things to me over the years.

Until recently I was paleo for 3+years. I still practice mostly clean eating with Keto but do not label it paleo anymore...more clean/paleo/primalish...as I am always tweaking by adding and taking out things. I have had friends and family suggest Isagenix, multiple hclf woe, nutrisystem, etc. Not really sure why, just because I guess?? I just tell them about Keto, loving to eat real food, and clean eating. I do not try to recruit them. I give them the info and share what it's done for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Hell, I've always been LC (less than 100g/day), though it was only recently that I decided to push it further into full-on keto. I just don't like breads, pastas, starches, and sweet stuff. It's just never been my thing.

So, from someone who was low-carb before he even knew "low-carb" was a thing, I can confidently tell you that your friend has no idea what she is talking about.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Having gone through a bit of a failed Atkins phase about a decade ago, I'd already faced all this from family and friends, they didn't understand, I over-shared, and they were critical. When I was out with friends at brunch on time back then, after having ordered an omelet with mushrooms, cheese, and sausage, and one of my friends mentioning me being low-carb, the waitress looked at me like I had three heads when I ordered a glass of tomato juice, then started asking why I would do that if I was eating low-carb. I wanted to smack them all...but I also realized it was my own fault...so starting then and there, I realized talking about my diet all the time was boring other people and it wasn't important to them, especially if they were going to be critical and frustrate me, so I kept it to myself.

So now this time around, after spending these past months researching keto and slowly eating through all of the carbs still in my kitchen (money was tight this winter), I've decided to only share details of my new way of life with people who are really supportive—those who are interested in either my success, or in trying it out for themselves. Not saying your friend doesn't care, she may very well be trying to, in her own way.

Once people around us start to see the positive results of our healthy practices, they will understand a lot better! Everyone was convinced it worked for me back in 2005 when I showed up 30 lbs lighter after five months of trying (the failed Atkins).
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Every month or so my friends come over for a game day. When I told them I was Keto I heard all about how I'm going to have a heart attack. They were here yesterday and I was having my BPC. One of them looked at my coffee... "That looks wonderful!! What is it?!" I laughed told him he didn't want to know. But I ticked off the ingredients anyway. All I heard was how wonderful it sounded... My friend the hypocrite. Sigh.... I can't win.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    After 16 months of being at ketogenic levels (minus a few weeks of attempted maintenance) I feel amazing. Your friend is terribly wrong. Conventional medicine would tell you that I should be dead, or near it, by now! I feel better (minus some new pain issues, but better)than I can recall ever feeling! I'm glad that you are too, and that can't be denied! Keep Calm and Keto On (KCKO!)!!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @kathrout1973 Ditto what Ken posted lol Because we, as individuals, must find our own balance. Bravo! I am smiling when people say "good job on the diet, what are you doing?" Just reply, "Low carb has really made me feel so much better."
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    "Living well is the best revenge."

Looking good isn't bad, either.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't think my budget could sustain Juice Plus long term.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Ugh, my favorite was just a couple days ago; this person says to me that "ketosis is when your body breaks down muscle for fuel" and "that's why you're not muscular". And when I pointed out to her what ketosis actually is, biochemically speaking, and that she doesn't know me except for online...I'm actually so muscular that there are healthy women my height--and 20 years younger--whose entire bodies weigh less than my lean body mass...her response was that she was top of her class in exercise science and I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about.
    HA!
    Like the other folks said, ignore the haters, and do you. You got this. :smile:

Educated idiots. No offense-I'm an educated idiot myself. But people really believe that whatever they are taught in college is the end all, be all of truth, never stopping to question who wrote the curriculum, who funded it, and why. :p