MFP Blog - 130g Carbs "Required"

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    130g carbs = 520 kcal. That's about what your brain burns in a day. If you have enough liver glycogen, then the article's right about the minimal glucose burn. If you don't have enough liver glycogen (e.g., depleted by low carb or fasting), your brain will burn ketones instead of glucose. That's why you make ketones.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yeah...No.

Couldn t get past the photo of the gigantic bowl of oatmeal with like 2 bananas in milk. That is a recipe for a huge crash and burn and carb/hunger cycle. I only know my body and that is just way too much.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That's what the diabetes educator told me to eat. :(
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Very Sad that a diabetes educator is so poorly informed about the best way to control blood sugars.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    Very Sad that a diabetes educator is so poorly informed about the best way to control blood sugars.

It's very sad indeed! My daughter (T1D) had an educator/nurse that insisted she would get DKA if she didn't eat carbs. As if it's somehow caused by what a person eats and not by a Type 1 diabetics lack of insulin.
    This nurse actually refused to work with my daughter anymore because she insisted to eat low carb. The lady is convinced Emily is going to end up in the hospital. Instead, she brought her A1c down to 7 from something over 14 in less than 12 weeks. :smile:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Lip service paid to a superceded edition of the US Dietary Guidelines. (Not that the current guidelines deserve a Pulitzer, but still.)

And that's the least of it...

I wonder what Under Armour's job description for its chief dietitan, MFP Division, looks like? The first commandment might be not to say anything without a fat margin of comfort.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Let's be very careful with where we go in this conversation.
    We can discuss the blog post.
    But we, figuratively speaking, lease space for free on MFP to host our group. Just keep that in mind.
    So keep the discussion on the post. And keep it adhering to the Community and Group guidelines.
    Thanks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    In general, I don't disagree with any part of this article. I think they should expand upon the references of "for most" and the like. For someone metabolically challenged, this high of a level of carbs may not help. Particularly for folks with trigger issues. But overall, for a mainstream generic article, I think this is actually pretty good overall, as it's saying that the goals are in the 130 gram of carbs range, which as @wabmester explained above, is a legitimate number - and that's far better than the usually 300 grams of carbs to manage your sugars, etc.

I think this would be a great time to have a follow up article that delves into the science of various metabolic challenges, how many folks actually suffer from them, and alternative plans that would help various conditions. Also explaining the science of why eating below the level suggested of carbs WHILE consuming the SAD-type suggested diet may create difficulties if one does not adjust fuel sources, upping fats, specifically. While protein does contribute to satiety, to me it is not interchangeable with the other macros as fats/carbs can be...

Does anyone have any articles that help explain this in a scientific way that isn't an attack, that might actually be heard?

Plus, to me this is HUGE progress, since while most of us are LOWER carb than this, 150 grams of carbs is medically considered to be low carb if the types of carbs are managed and/or restricted. I think getting more people TO this level will get more folks to experiment BELOW this level, if they research and such for themselves.

But as we know, dietitians and nutritional education is a bit behind the current model of what's "working" in the field, etc., so it's not unexpected that it will take "the world at large" some time to pause, change momentum, and really dig into the research behind why so many different dietary plans actually work well for so many different folks. One size NEVER fits all. :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, I think we're still a long way off from evidence-based approaches gaining mainstream acceptance.

For example, if somebody is diabetic or insulin resistant, we all agree it makes sense to minimize insulin response and glucose loads, right? So the best approach might be fasting. Next best might be carnivore. Neither one of those would fly in an official MFP blog post. :)

There's too much baggage, including real medical concerns that come from doing it wrong. The truth is that most of us have become adapted to the SAD, and it's not easy to transition to something radically different.

Something like 130g/d carbs might be the best place to start for most of us.