Nails

Options
Montepulciano
Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
Since I have started back in the pool I notice that my finger nails have been flaking into layers? Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I've heard that chlorine displaces/upsets iodine. And iodine is used for strong nails. So maybe an iodine supplement?
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! My nails are a mess!
    Thanks for the tip @emmab0902
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Could also be a sign of malnutrition if you are too severely restricting calories. That happened to me, anyway.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Thanks @emmab0902! Will try that.

Robertus, since it just began with getting back into the pool, I am gonna blame the chlorine for now. :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Moisturizer helps a lot!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    Ever since I got into the pool two years ago, this has been a problem. I have weak nails anyway. I figured that with as much water time as I was putting them through, it was a losing battle...
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Update FYI - I started taking iodine about 10 days ago and have noticed improvement in my nails already. Have also been sleeping better and less brain fog.

http://blog.garymoller.com/2013/11/the-iodine-deficiency-epidemic-and-what.html?m=1
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I keep clear nail Polish on, it seems to help.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Well three weeks out of the water did not help my nails, though I abused my hands a bit helping my sister out, so I am starting a bit of iodine, the smallest dose I could find, and will see if that helps.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    So about a month into taking iodine and my nails seem a bit better, but not perfect. Honestly if the scent of chlorine and flaky nails are the worst things I can say about swimming, all the benefits definitely outweigh them. :)