Insomnia worse with reduced carbs

Options
LauraCoth
LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
When I cut my carbs a couple of days ago -- not drastically, just to around 50-60 per day -- I stopped sleeping almost completely. When I do sleep it's badly broken and I wake up every half hour or so. I was suffering from moderate insomnia already, but holy COW is it bad now!

Is there a specific known reason for this, or am I just up a creek? Will it pass?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's a known problem, and can be anywhere from very mild, to ridiculously severe. I've seen several recommendations on how to handle it, but I've just been making myself deal with it.

Parse through this, and there are a bunch of ideas that have worked for some: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1jetd0/update_been_keto_for_a_week_can_no_longer_sleep/
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    Thanks. Ridiculously severe about sums it up. :(

I did read though the thread, but I already take melatonin, magnesium and other things for sleep (chronic issue), don't drink alcohol, only one coffee prior to 9:00 a.m. and so on.

A lot of the comments on that thread related to having more energy with less sleep. Must be nice! Unfortunately, I have none. Zero. Basket case. I was out in the car today and realized that I shouldn't be on the road.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely have adrenal issues already, and I guess my blood sugar might well be making things worse. I try not to snack at night but I have been absolutely ravenous (to the point pf being painful) for the last three days and have had to break down and eat cheese at night just to stop the hunger.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here's a little from the chapter about sleep in The Bulletproof Diet regarding supplements that may help.
    m7f07s0wd3tb.jpeg
    2aara9el2oo4.jpeg
    0e12nts1omt2.jpeg

There's a lot more information in that chapter. A few more supplements are discussed and other tips like Wabmester mentioned as well.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I slept eating 500 grams of carbs in a day just fine and I sleep just fine eat <50 grams of carbs so there must be something at issue with some people that is more complicated than just the level of carbs one is eating.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I slept eating 500 grams of carbs in a day just fine and I sleep just fine eat <50 grams of carbs so there must be something at issue with some people that is more complicated than just the level of carbs one is eating.

My sleep seemed to improve.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    My sleep is about the same as before - which means it's still downright awful. I get 4 hrs or less most nights.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    My sleep has been awful for years, too, never mind any dietary changes.

Right now I take melatonin 1 mg, valerian 300 mg. Ashwaghanda 750 mg, Tryptophan 3 gm (prescription), Holy Basil, and oral progesterone for sleep. I tried adding in GABA, but it did nothing. Last year after I began the progesterone I slept like a log for a whole year and then it began slipping away again in January.

And of course the Trouble with Tryptophan is that you need to take it with carbs. But normally I can get 5-6 hours a night and sometimes even 7 or 8. Now I'm lucky if I sleep for three hours, and it's non-continuous sleep.

I've changed my diet now because my ND is hoping that removing anything inflammatory from my diet and getting sugars down to a minimum will ultimately help me sleep. My GP, excellent though he is, is at a loss but at least he is open-minded enough to work with me and my ND's recommendations.

Ah well, I guess I'll get past it. Or not. We'll see.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I know for me it was short lived, while keto it was an issue in the beginning but then settled out. It sounds like yours is much more complex, I hope it clears up for you soon
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    Yes, it seems to have resolved a bit, thank you.

I slept a good 6 hours last night and as a bonus am not ravenous today. I cheated just before bed and ate a tablespoon + of hazelnut butter that I didn't log, bumping my calories up over the limit but staying fairly close to my carb parameters.

I'm not aiming for keto, per se. I would like to lose about 15 pounds (which is a lot, on my frame) but my primary goal is to get my health in order. I'm taking my carbs down slowly since my body over-reacts to just about anything -- water, sugar, medications; you name it. But even getting below 75 total carbs seem to have sent me into overdrive (or underdrive, as the case may be).
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had insomnia from age 5 to 35, then miraculously started falling asleep and staying asleep one day. Then last year when I went from low carb to very low carb, my insomnia reared its ugly head. After about 5 months at keto level carbs things seemed to settle down for me, I haven't had any sleep issues in a couple months now. I hope it gets better for you soon!
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That's really hard. However I've read some studies that suggest the natural sleep cycle for humans is a first sleep and a second sleep with appx an 1 1/2 -3 hours of wakefulness. I extended nursed and was in this pattern for 2 1/2 years and the worst torture was believing my sleep was "supposed" to look a certain way.

I'm very weary of melatonin as a supplement because it is helpful in the initial getting to sleep but can signal you to wake up before your actually ready to. I wish I had specific articles to reference but I'm feeling lazy
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    My ND puts me on 1 mg (no more) for short periods of time when my sleep is really bad and then stops me. I find the low dose far more effective than anything higher.

I've recently heard it said that the "real" human sleep cycle is in two sleeps, but I've never seen it documented anywhere. One would think the human race wouldn't have forgotten that kind of history so quickly.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    My sleep these days tends to roll like this (though not exactly, all the time):
    Sunday: crash at 9:30pm.
    Monday: up at 3:45am, sleep at 11:00pm.
    Tuesday: up at 3:00am, sleep at 12:30am.
    Wednesday: up at 3:30am, sleep at 12:00am.
    Thursday: up at 4:00am, sleep at 12:00am.
    Friday: up at 3:45am, sleep at 11:30pm.
    Saturday: up at 2:00am, sleep at 8:30pm.
    Sunday: up at 7:00am.

It's like I don't even need an alarm clock anymore, and my body only wants to sleep hard one night per week, middling one other, then very little on the others. Fortunately, I'm not suffering any kind of energy loss as a result, and if anything, have more.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    [quoteIt's like I don't even need an alarm clock anymore, and my body only wants to sleep hard one night per week, middling one other, then very little on the others. Fortunately, I'm not suffering any kind of energy loss as a result, and if anything, have more.[/quote]

Oh boy, I wish I could say the same.

I have no energy at all. This is pretty chronic for me -- not just right now, but the hallmark of my life for the past few years. My brain is in a fog, I suffer from dizziness and nausea, and I can't do much of anything at all. Every now and then I have a good sleep and feel okay for a couple of days, but without fail the insomnia comes back.

I keep hoping that the next thing I try will be the key. Hopefully I'll get some benefit from removing grains from my diet and keeping the fats up and the carbs down.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ETA: Nevermind, I'm an idiot who can't read.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Are you taking magnesium citrate? Mag will hep your sleep. Its a muscle relaxer. Will eliminate cramp, charlie horses, etc. And you should be upping your potassium and sodium intake to avoid keto flu...

Dan
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    Yes, I take up to 800mg magnesium citrate daily and have done for years. I also recently added magnesium oil at night. Magnesium has unfortunately never helped my insomnia or night-time foot cramps, but I know I need it just to keep my digestive system working.