Hungry all the time

Options
gypsy8080
gypsy8080 Posts: 25 Member
Lately, I've been hungry constantly. Right now, I'm somewhere between 30 and 40 carbs a day, and maybe I need to lower that number. I don't know. I only know I've been a bit "stalled" for the last three weeks, and also just wanting to eat everything in sight. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you have some tips?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It happens to me from time to time, but isn't exclusive to when I am on LC. About once per week, especially near the weekend if I've had a more physically active week at work, I just get ridiculously hungry for about three days. I'll generally just make myself suffer through the first two, then run a maintenance or slight surplus day on the third, and it goes away.

I tried nipping it in the bud on day one before, but that didn't work for some weird reason.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    What is your fat intake like? Have you tried to increase fats? You may feel less hungry that way.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Watch what you eat in relation to your hunger. Is there a food triggering it? I now know if I eat a snack after my BPC in the mornings I am starving after it seems. I drink the coffee then don't eat until my next meal and no hunger.
  • gypsy8080
    Options
    My fat intake is supposed to be about 130 grams a day, based on the keto calculator I used, but I don't always hit that number. That may be part of it. I hope I can get this under control because I'm frequently going over my calorie count most days now.

I have one or two cups of coffee in the morning around 7, but then I don't eat my first meal until around noon. By the time I eat dinner around 6 or 7 in the evening, I'm starving to the point I want to eat more than one helping. And sometimes I'm still hungry and might snack after that. Like Gallowmere said, weekends are the worst. I feel like I could eat all day long sometimes. I've lost 25 pounds since January, and my goal is to lose about 70 more. I'm thinking it's not going to happen if I don't soon do something about this overeating/hunger problem.
  • gypsy8080
    Options
    Meant to mention this in my last post. In your experience, do artificial sweeteners really promote overeating? I hear people say this, and it might be another thing I need to tweak. I frequently make low carb desserts over the weekends, and add sweetener to my coffee every morning.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask about your artificial sweetener use.
    I had to almost completely eliminate them. The only thing I have now is a little bit of sweet leaf (stevia) water flavoring in my supplement water that I drink twice a day. I cannot have Splenda or sweet n low type sweeteners without cravings for sugar happening. I can't even stand the taste of that stuff anymore now anyway so it's become no problem avoiding it.
    When I finally cut out sweetening my coffee it was because of hunger problems arising after having months of successful hunger control even while I had been using Splenda during that previous time.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've been hungrier than usual this week too. I've increased fat and calories. I've had a busy week activity-wise. I'm not craving - I'm HUNGRY.

Possible reasons I've come up with... More artificial sweeteners than usual and I've had soups and smoothies a lot this week (they've been high fat) but maybe I need food I actually chew? I read somewhere once that the act of chewing signals appetite to shut off.

I think I'm going to eat at maintenance today to try to get a handle on it.
  • gypsy8080
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. This coming week, I've decided I'm going to drop my carbs significantly, and this will include ditching most of the artificial sweeteners I use. As I said, I've been around 40 carbs most days, and I think this may be too high for me right now with my insulin resistance, etc. I'm going on a five-day cruise at the end of the month, and I know I'm going to be bombarded with food and booze the entire time. I'm not sure how I will be able to resist it all. I guess my plan is to do the best I can and jump right back on the keto horse when I get home.

The more I think about the artificial sweeteners, the more I believe they do increase my appetite and cravings. Lately, I could eat all the time, and I don't know what's causing this if not the sweeteners. I'll give these methods a shot over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes. I really wanted to get under 200 by the end of the summer, and it's a possibility. I'm at 212 right now, and just can't wait to get into the 100s.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance a possibility?
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Totally noticing this to be a pattern with Splenda, but not with stevia. Today I had my normal coffee in the a.m. at break but used Torani sugar free flavored syrup sweetened with Splenda. And I think back to the other days I used that sweetener and found they were the days I went a bit overboard. Yikes!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Eating high fiber veggies with some butter helps me. Fats and fiber are both filling.

Sometimes just eating a calcium fortified Rolaids helps to knock back excess stomach acid once in a while. That works wonders!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    gypsy8080 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. This coming week, I've decided I'm going to drop my carbs significantly, and this will include ditching most of the artificial sweeteners I use. As I said, I've been around 40 carbs most days, and I think this may be too high for me right now with my insulin resistance, etc. I'm going on a five-day cruise at the end of the month, and I know I'm going to be bombarded with food and booze the entire time. I'm not sure how I will be able to resist it all. I guess my plan is to do the best I can and jump right back on the keto horse when I get home.

The more I think about the artificial sweeteners, the more I believe they do increase my appetite and cravings. Lately, I could eat all the time, and I don't know what's causing this if not the sweeteners. I'll give these methods a shot over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes. I really wanted to get under 200 by the end of the summer, and it's a possibility. I'm at 212 right now, and just can't wait to get into the 100s.

@gypsy8080 - As for how to deal with all the food? I'd look for the most decadent indulgent foods you wouldn't normally eat all the time. Steak and lobster tail with extra butter? Yes, please! Sauteed fresh fish? Bison or other exotic burgers? Crustless pizza? Look at the menu in advance (most cruise lines have their standard menu available online) and make plans. If you are going to have more carbs, aim to have the least in the morning and most at night - it works best with the way insulin sensitivity happens with IR, etc. If you are having a planned indulgence, try to make it about 3 hours apart from any meal in the opposite way (so have a high carb meal 3 hours before or after a high fat meal). While I don't know if this works long term, it can work short term to having only minimal spikes...
  • MsVino
    MsVino Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same but once I cut the stevia sweetner I was using it settled. Be careful with your smoothies, blending 4 or more carbs every fibrous veg can cause a blood glucose spike and increase hunger. Goodluck and great job on the 25 lb so far!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've been more hungry since I started eating 4-5 servings of veggies a day, instead of mainly protein and fat. I'm not sure it can be helped if I'm going for antioxidants in my diet.
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    gypsy8080 wrote: »
    Meant to mention this in my last post. In your experience, do artificial sweeteners really promote overeating?

I found that I can't use artificial sweeteners at all - they send me right into "munchface" mode. An hour or less after a diet soda or anything sweetened with sucralose or just about any other artificial sweetener, I find myself looking for carbs. I stay away from artificial sweeteners because of that.

On the rare occasion when I want something sweet, I use just a bit of real maple syrup, raw honey, or cane sugar. When used as a condiment, a little goes a very long way. :smiley:

Oh, and good job on the 25-lb. loss! You're getting there!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I've been more hungry since I started eating 4-5 servings of veggies a day, instead of mainly protein and fat. I'm not sure it can be helped if I'm going for antioxidants in my diet.

Can you not just add in the veggies WITH your existing meats and fats, etc.? Most veggies don't have that many calories -and the good ones have very few excess carbs... Just a thought. (hugs) And yeah, the struggle is real with multiple goals!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »

Can you not just add in the veggies WITH your existing meats and fats, etc.? Most veggies don't have that many calories -and the good ones have very few excess carbs... Just a thought. (hugs) And yeah, the struggle is real with multiple goals!

I agree with this except watch out for those carrots... sure they look like they don't have very many carbs, but by the time you are 2 lbs. in, you'll see they add up fast.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    +1 on avoiding artificial sweeteners and making sure to get enough fat. I've had to learn to just avoid trying to create low-carb substitutes of high-carb food for all the reasons mentioned - hunger, cravings, and a tendency to fall short on fats. Also, for me smoothies are a gateway drug - even veggie smoothies.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different but if I eat artificial sweetner then I am starving and could constantly eat so I try and avoid them at all costs lol