Hungry all the time

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    One note about sweeteners. If you find one that you like to use, try sweetening only to tolerance, not to taste. Use the least amount of sweetener in something that you can tolerate the taste of. If it tastes so absolutely fantastic that you instantly want to eat/drink a dozen more of those exact things, you really need to dial back on the sweet factor (or possibly something else, too.), or at least I do. I've gotten to the point where I started with things by the dropperful (estimated at 20 drops) and now I typically do it by the DROP... So yeah, significant cut back there. Just a suggestion.

EDITED TO ADD: If I'm really wanting a diet soda or something, I have to cut it at least half, if not more, with water/sparkling water/etc. I try not to do this much, but once in a blue moon, it's kind of a treat, but I still avoid the dyes when I can.
  • freidaws
    freidaws Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had an experience last Saturday that has me SOLD on fat bombs. My husband took me to a very early breakfast as we had a full day planned and I ordered eggs and a ham steak - strictly very low carbs only 2 carbs. Then we went shopping and got home about 5pm - NO lunch. I was STARVING and couldn't even think, I was so hungry. My daughter, at her suggestion, and I had made fat bombs which I bagged and threw in the freezer a couple of weeks prior. I saw those fat bombs and thought that would be within my plan, and popped FIVE of them. They were small with only 47 calories and 1 carb apiece. I thought, "Boy, is my stomach going to do flops now." But, I was fine and within 20 minutes - time enough to get all the food put up in pantry and freezer, I noticed I was no longer hungry! Now, the thing about me is that if I'm not hungry I'm not motivated to cook for my husband and myself. He waits and waits and about 9pm he asks if I'm going to cook dinner????? Nope, I'm not hungry! So, he fixed us our planned dinner of swordfish and us a small salad. He told me to NEVER pop any more fat bombs before fixing him his dinner!!! :wink: I'm sold on fat bombs. I made the chocolate fat bombs which are definitely not very sweet, but they certainly do the job!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Chewing gum with aspartame turned me into the Carb Queen. It's a slippery slope from an innocent piece of gum to eating 2 39-carb Cliff bars for lunch (not kidding).

Aspartame is the worst offender, but Splenda also does this to me.

I stick to natural organic stevia now, the stuff without erythritol and other additives. It's not as sweet, but I'm getting used to it.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I got over my constant hunger a week into carb-restriction this time. Hopefully that will happen for the OP soon.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Splenda is evil!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Also, I found that working in an extended time before meals or a mid-day intermittent fast really helped me. I would eat a full lunch, and within 1-2 hours, I'd be "starving" again... Once I realized my biggest trigger zone seemed to be AFTER lunch, I tried pushing back the time I ate lunch further etc. Before long, I decided to have a bigger breakfast and just skip through it. The hunger control and killing of the snack urges were almost instantaneous! It was crazy. For a while, I was doing it once a week, and I might get back to it, but I haven't decided yet.

My main things with pushing past a meal are -

1) if you're really hungry, eat. If I was hungry and didn't eat, to me it was as bad as if I ate and wasn't hungry at all... It let to very disordered thinking.

2) if I felt hungry, I'd drink some water and get busy. If the hunger urge passed, it wasn't real hunger. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would.

3) get extra water/electrolytes. Or at least monitor closely. Sometimes getting some salt in the system will trigger dormant hunger.

4) plan ahead. and relax. Because life happens.

5) Pay attention to where the hunger is coming from. If it's a craving, and I don't want anything except what I'm craving, it's not real hunger. If my body "wants" one thing, and I want to feed it something else, and it reacts with a "sure, I'm hungry, let's go!" I know the hunger is in my stomach/body and real.

:)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I always do the above substitution. If I want a piece of cheese or something that is sweet tasting, so I am hungry, I say to myself, OK let's have a hard boiled egg. If I get a yes back, it is true hunger and I deal with it. Not with the craving.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above re artificial sweeteners. Also have to watch any of the lower-carb substitute recipes for the "real thing." If it tastes just like the "real thing" than my body reacts the same way: overeating and craving it! For me, keeping it simple and extremely low carb works best. Yes, I miss desserts (am a recovering sugar addict), but I just have to tell myself "Get over it!"