Keto Setting In Plain English - I need help please.

Options
Encadia
Encadia Posts: 9 Member
I am 53, I weigh 184 and 5'3 I am moderately active. BM is about 35%

I have visited many Keto Calculator Apps Recently and used the information.
The came back into Fitness Pal and thought no way is this right.

1. If I could get the Fat, Protein and Carb numbers from someone that understands this, it would help.

2. Although one does not count Calories, about what should my intake be?
3. After all is set, then under what heading should I read my amounts?

Thank you for reading and your help.

Replies

• lpfasciano
    lpfasciano Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am just starting myself! I have been doing a ton of research on this. I am 61, 5'3, and I weigh 171. I have done Atkins on and off for years, but after researching Keto and not losing on Atkins now, I have discovered these facts:
    • I have been consuming too much protein (which I didn't know you could do on Atkins!)
    • My revised macros (protein, fat, carbohydrates) are approximately this: 5% carb, 10% protein, and 85% fats/oils
    • Which translates to roughly 200-250 calories of protein...not much; 80 calories of carbs; 1200 calories of fats/oils for about a 1500 calorie/day diet. I'm fairly active. My husband and I walk a minimum of three miles a day.

Let me know what you think!!!
  • Encadia
    Options
    Thank you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The percentages listed above are similar to my own.

Typically, carbs are a limit. Generally 0-50 grams daily. Pick your number (basic recommended starting point is 20 grams daily), and find the percentage close enough to that. Do not eat more carbs on exercise days (at least not until well past 12 weeks strict compliance, as it is harder on your body - but that's another story). Carbs need to be at a strict limit. Spread them over your meals - don't get them all in one meal.

Protein should be based on bodyweight, depending on if you're male or female - and how active you are. Your protein needs should be based on your lean body mass (everything that isn't body fat), 0.6 grams to 1 gram per pound of LBM, depending on your activity levels (the range is 0.8 grams to 1.2 grams for men). For example, my body fat is around 45%. I weigh about 245. So, here are my numbers.

55% * 245 = 134.75 pounds of lean body mass x 0.6 grams (sedentary) = 80.85 OR 134.75 x 1 gram (lifting weights or running) = 134.75.

This means when I'm inactive, I need a minimum of around 81 grams of protein a day to maintain my current muscles. If I'm lifting weights or running, I need at least 135 grams or so of protein a day... so my protein range is 81 grams - 135 grams a day, and going over that by up to half (so up to a little over 200 grams of protein a day) is no big deal as long as I get my other macros and good nutrition.... And if you're a little lower one day and a little higher another day, as long as you're not protein sensitive, that's generally okay, as long as your protein is reasonable each day and in an average on a 7-10 day basis.

Fats fill in the rest to satiety. That could be 60% if you're a heavy lifter, or 85% for others. It really depends. I think my numbers generally hit 70-80% on average. This is not a number that you have to hit, but if you feel crummy, and you've made sure to get your sodium in, try upping your fats. I tend not to lose as well if I don't at least get close to my fat "goal." You don't ever HAVE to eat more fat to hit it unless you feel bad, as your body will burn fats from your body as needed.

All of that being said, do not set your goals to aggressively. If you have your goal set to lose 1 pound a week, you need to eat back most of your exercise calories, etc. Ketogenic diets do not WORK BETTER with a higher deficit. It may actually trigger a metabolism stall. My personal theory is to find your carb threshold (how many carbs can you eat and still lose weight) and your calorie range (I can lose at 1300 calories a day, but I'll hit a lot of stalls and such - or I can lose at 1800-2200 calories a day, and I don't sacrifice my health - most people have two ranges like this. I like to tell people to try upping calories rather than dropping them to shake things up. The body has needs, and we're brainwashed to thing lower is always better).

So my goal is to eat as much as I can to be healthy - in all the ways - and to keep making weight progress. I don't subscribe to the theory that you must suffer to lose weight. You must work hard, sure, but suffering isn't required once you find a plan that works for you...
  • Encadia
    Options
    Thank you for this explanation.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Encadia You're so welcome. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Someone around here is bound to have an answer for you!