Introductions - and failures...

Options
Shadowmf023
Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
Hi everyone. :smile: I'm 23, female, 5'2, 135lb. I eat about 1560 calories a day (set to lose 0.5lb a week), and do strength training (just some home videos) 5 times a week. Other than that I'm active and on my feet most of the day.

I've been trying to lose 20lb for a year. Everytime the cravings get to me and I end up 'mini-binging' up to maintenance. I was considering just maintaining and hoping the strength training changes my body slightly, until someone suggested I should up my fats (I've been eating low fat).

And for some reason "adding more fat" has somewhat turned into a low carb type diet. I'm currently set to 85g carbs (20%), 100g protein or so, (30%), and 98g fat, I think? (50%).

Satiety wise it's been great, for a week, until today, I had unexpected guests and ended up binging on a bunch of carbs and wiping out my deficit once more. It started with bulletproof coffee though, and I was just hungry. (Note to self: must EAT breakfast, not drink it) :neutral:

So I guess I'm now starting "induction" all over again. I'd like some simple throw-together recipes for lunch, around 400 calories or so, if anyone has any ideas. That seems to be the meal I struggle with. Thanks for reading so far if you have. :smile:

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My go to lunch is bacon or sausage and eggs but I work from home. You can always make "sandwiches" using lettuce wraps or, if you are like me I eat all the stuff I would normally eat on bread but out of a bowl. Egg salad, burgers, Italian subs, etc.

Welcome to the LCHF WOE. :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    A bag of salad and some precooked meat with a nice creamy dressing is my go-to lunch in a hurry.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to LC - and good luck! Sounds like you're on the right track ;) Like @RowdysLady, I work at home, so
    for my lunches, it's mostly been salads, but sometimes I just nosh on nuts, pepperoni, and turkey breast. Sometimes it's whatever I had for dinner last night.

I love eating stuff like good olives, cheese, maybe some greens - those things can even all go into the same container if you don't mind the oil getting mixed in. I keep turkey or beef sticks on hand and packets of almonds, for if I have to rush off somewhere and not sure when I'll be back.
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always have plenty of hard boiled eggs on hand. Great for egg salad or just plain with a little salt. Add avacado, also with a little salt, and it makes a nice little lunch. Portable too.
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I meant to say add an avacado on the side, not mixed with the egg.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Nuke some frozen spinach and top it with butter, lemon juice (or olive oil) and feta. (protein of your choice, but I often do a pulled pork roast in a slow cooker, portion it out in freezer bags, and just grab and go.) Another good side is broccoli (frozen or fresh) in the microwave for a couple of minutes to steam it, and then add olive oil and cheese of your choice. Cheddar is good, parmesan is also good, and I am always a fan of feta, soooo . . . also - if you have the carb allowance - nuke a dozen baby carrots for a couple of minutes, butter and garlic salt. Easy sides. :)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'll make a crustless quiche/frittata on Sunday, and take portions to work for lunch all week. Also, meat of some kind (chicken, beef roast, pork roast, etc.) in the crockpot works well for leftovers. And @closetlibrarian made awesome suggestions for sides to have with the leftovers.

Oh, and it's not a failure when you overdo the carbs on occasion. It's just a minor detour on your journey to optimal health. You've gotten yourself back on the right path, and that is a success in itself.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :)

Those mini binges get better. If it is mini then you are already on the right track. ;)

My old binges used to include a family bag of M&M's or jelly beans (I am embarassed to right) but now my binges include a small bowl of icecream if I am off track, or a too big bowl of snap peas when I am on track. It's a mini binge but it is easier to recover from and keep going than the pound of candy from yester year.

Just keep chuggin along. :)
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas - I'll try my best to stay on track. :smiley: I probably just need to preplan a bit.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I am the worlds simplest cook!
    For lunch, it's almost never a hot food unless it's leftovers.
    Things that I tend to have are
    Salami and cream cheese roll ups
    Pepperoni and cheese either snack style or I'll make a crustless pizza by putting a thin layer of cheese on parchment and topping with pepperoni and maybe even olives or whatever else sounds good and put under the broiler til the cheese browns. Let it cool a bit and you can peel it right off the paper and tear up to eat.
    Eggs in any number of ways... As an omelet or scrambled or fried or hard boiled. Whatever I'm in the mood for. Maybe even some bacon with it or even by itself.
    Smoked turkey deli meat with Swiss and avocado mayo between two romaine leaves. Even better with some bacon and maybe even some sliced avocado if I'm feeling fancy. lol
    Pretty much any deli meat made as a lettuce sandwich is good. I've also had salami and Colby cheese. Yum! I only buy ham or turkey if it's NOT honey glazed. Waste of carbs.
    Rarely, because I'm mostly carnivore, I'll have an actual salad. I always add some kind of meat to them. Either leftover meat or my favorite salad consists of romaine, pepperoni, green olives, Parmesan cheese and Italian dressing.
    That's my typical lunch. I tend to eat the same stuff all the time. I don't like cooking complicated things.
    I've also just had fatty coffee with protein powder on occasion too if I'm pressed for time or it's more convenient for some reason. Or even just a protein shake made with water because I wouldn't be home and it was just easier.
    I am not typically a fan of the "meal replacement" type food products and shakes but I do find the Primal Kitchen brand, though expensive, to be very good without pushing it in food quality. I use them so rarely that the cost isn't a problem but I doubt I could use it daily.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    I am the worlds simplest cook!
    For lunch, it's almost never a hot food unless it's leftovers.
    Things that I tend to have are
    Salami and cream cheese roll ups
    Pepperoni and cheese either snack style or I'll make a crustless pizza by putting a thin layer of cheese on parchment and topping with pepperoni and maybe even olives or whatever else sounds good and put under the broiler til the cheese browns. Let it cool a bit and you can peel it right off the paper and tear up to eat.
    Eggs in any number of ways... As an omelet or scrambled or fried or hard boiled. Whatever I'm in the mood for. Maybe even some bacon with it or even by itself.
    Smoked turkey deli meat with Swiss and avocado mayo between two romaine leaves. Even better with some bacon and maybe even some sliced avocado if I'm feeling fancy. lol
    Pretty much any deli meat made as a lettuce sandwich is good. I've also had salami and Colby cheese. Yum! I only buy ham or turkey if it's NOT honey glazed. Waste of carbs.
    Rarely, because I'm mostly carnivore, I'll have an actual salad. I always add some kind of meat to them. Either leftover meat or my favorite salad consists of romaine, pepperoni, green olives, Parmesan cheese and Italian dressing.
    That's my typical lunch. I tend to eat the same stuff all the time. I don't like cooking complicated things.
    I've also just had fatty coffee with protein powder on occasion too if I'm pressed for time or it's more convenient for some reason. Or even just a protein shake made with water because I wouldn't be home and it was just easier.
    I am not typically a fan of the "meal replacement" type food products and shakes but I do find the Primal Kitchen brand, though expensive, to be very good without pushing it in food quality. I use them so rarely that the cost isn't a problem but I doubt I could use it daily.

Wow great ideas and exactly what I was looking for! I don't really want to cook more than once daily so lunch needs to be throw together.

I failed my first week of low carb because I started the day with just bulletproof coffee... :weary: and ended up hungry (I'm probably not fat adapted enough yet), so I binged on carbs... :neutral:

Lesson learned - drink Bulletproof coffee WITH breakfast instead of AS breakfast.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    While I'm on this thread and I don't want to start another one - how do you go about getting enough fibre on a lchf diet?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I never worry about fibre. The less I have, the better my BMs are, and the better I feel. I get some fibre from the veggies I eat, but the fat in my diet takes care of everything. Low fibre is non-issue for me.

And feel free to skip BPC altogether. It's not for everyone. Many prefer to eat their fats rather than drink them. An extra egg at breakfast instead.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    While I'm on this thread and I don't want to start another one - how do you go about getting enough fibre on a lchf diet?

As someone that has had IBS since I was about 14, I started Keto thinking I would need to get good fiber and I did that by eating celery, broccoli, brussel sprouts and other green veggies at least twice a day. Then, after many months of enjoying Keto and feeling like my IBS was gone, I tried a month of carnivore and I had only 2 or 3 servings of veggies the whole month. I felt even better. I didn't realize that the constipation that I had been blaming on cheese and protein was actually caused by the veggies/fiber that I was eating. I went from taking very high dose magnesium to go a couple times a week, to going daily with no issue just by getting no more than a few grams of fiber a day. Like maybe 3-5...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

As someone that has had IBS since I was about 14, I started Keto thinking I would need to get good fiber and I did that by eating celery, broccoli, brussel sprouts and other green veggies at least twice a day. Then, after many months of enjoying Keto and feeling like my IBS was gone, I tried a month of carnivore and I had only 2 or 3 servings of veggies the whole month. I felt even better. I didn't realize that the constipation that I had been blaming on cheese and protein was actually caused by the veggies/fiber that I was eating. I went from taking very high dose magnesium to go a couple times a week, to going daily with no issue just by getting no more than a few grams of fiber a day. Like maybe 3-5...

This. High fat diets have almost no need for fiber. It's the high protein, low fat people who end up having problems at the backend without it.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    If that's the case I hope it also solves my issues. I'm as constipated as a clay doll. :neutral: I usually take aloe verox bitters. I'll see how it goes.
  • bop926
    bop926 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If that's the case I hope it also solves my issues. I'm as constipated as a clay doll. :neutral: I usually take aloe verox bitters. I'll see how it goes.

Omg! Me too! I just drank a cup of herbal tea to hopefully get things moving. I have to remember to get some veggies in there somewhere or this is the inevitable result. (For me anyway.)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    High dose magnesium gals. That's the most productive solution I found when it was my problem.
    Or try carnivore..
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    When you try magnesium, go for magnesium citrate. Magnesium oxide is waaaaay too effective. ;)
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There are actually decent ways to get fiber on keto. Chia seeds in food (I put 2 tbsp in a Light and Fit Greek yogurt) gives me 20% of my daily. The yogurt is 9 grams carbs, chia seeds 0 net carbs. For dinner I eat 2 Carb Sense tortillas, another 20 grams fiber (80% daily req) with 6 grams carbs. Since the rest of my diet is eggs, cheese, chicken, bacon and sausage I was finding GI problems to be fairly common till I added the fiber.