Challenge Four - ITALY! Starts 1st July (join anytime, all welcome)...

Options
BigChangeNeeded
BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Hello, fellow walkers

Welcome to the fourth team walking challenge. This time around, we’re walking through gorgeous north Italy, through towns and countryside, taking in some of the most spectacular views that Europe has to offer.

uojwdm72osgd.jpg

yg8y469an3yv.jpg

https://worldwalking.org/walks/explore/35boom

En route, we’ll be stopping at Genoa, Turin, Milan, Verona, Venice, Bologna, Florence, Assissi and Rome.

Same rules as usual apply. We add our activity together, no matter what we've been doing, be it walking, cycling or dancing, and at the end of the month our accumulated steps/miles should take us over the finishing line. You just need to add whatever you've done between the 1st and 31st July, and I will tally up the activity and post regular updates.

You are free to do as much as you are comfortable doing. There will be no judgement, no pressure to overdo things, it’s all about just being active and working together as a team.

If you’re interested in taking part in this challenge, please add your name to the spreadsheet (link below). You can join at any time, be it before it starts or a day from the end. Every single step counts.

Italy - July 2016

See you on the road, friends

(It’s a Google sheet, but you should be able to add data regardless of whether you have a Gmail account as I’ve amended the settings so that anyone with the link can edit)

Replies

• sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    @BigChangeNeeded
    I did a Les Mills Body Pump class this morning 60 mins what details do you need to convert it or if its an app can you tell me what it is and i can convert it myself save you the time and hassle :)
    Keen for this challenge the biggest loser one i'm in atm finishes this week ..
    cheers sharon
  • sharondjs
    Options
    @BigChangeNeeded sorry another question where do we add what we/ve done on here or onto the google sheet ?
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Hi @sharondjs

Pop '60 mins Les Mills body pump' in to the box for today, we can always work out how to convert it and come back to it.

*sneaks off to find out what a body pump is*...
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok, I'm back.

This site says that a Body Pump is equivalent to over 16,000 steps in an hour - do you think this would be about right?

calorieking.com.au/tools/step_equivalence.php

There are other options on there for you to look at, and you can see which you feel is closest to the exercise you did (having never done a body pump, I've no idea).

Fill in the spreadsheet with whatever you feel is closest to what you did.
  • ClarissaCLD
    ClarissaCLD Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenni, I might have to join this one, if only to see the pictures you post. I looooooveeee Italy, I have already been to Turin, Florence and Rome. This walking and using my FitBit, will hopefully help to get me ready in time for the real walking around Sorrento next May :)
  • sharondjs
    Options
    @BigChangeNeeded
    Yes those are the les mills classes pump combat balance step and attack
    it sounds like a lot but we do over 800 reps during the class (the instructor told us yesterday this new release has so many reps in it .
    it's a total body weights class so squats chest press biceps triceps rows power press lunges dead lifts and also abs so you work all areas of the body with a bar and weights for 60 minutes no breaks . I just compared the calories burned with walking in mfp and it says for me pump burns 639 calories and walking 7500 steps burns nearly the same at a moderate pace so I think I,ll half all of that sites steps if that's ok ?
  • sharondjs
    Options
    I think I'll just get confused so I'll just post what that site says
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Hi Jenni, I might have to join this one, if only to see the pictures you post. I looooooveeee Italy, I have already been to Turin, Florence and Rome. This walking and using my FitBit, will hopefully help to get me ready in time for the real walking around Sorrento next May :)

Woohoo, glad to have you along :smiley:

• BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    sharondjs wrote: »
    I think I'll just get confused so I'll just post what that site says

Sounds perfect :)
  • BigChangeNeeded
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'll be posting the first update tomorrow, so make sure you've logged your activity folks.

As we're only a small group this time around, it may take us a little longer to see the sites, but that's ok. We'll enjoy the stroll together :smile:
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I just saw this. I'm walking very short distances each day due to major back surgery 2 weeks ago... 06.23.16......But, I just added my figures. Hope no-one minds.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    I just saw this. I'm walking very short distances each day due to major back surgery 2 weeks ago... 06.23.16......But, I just added my figures. Hope no-one minds.

Of course not, we're happy to have you with us :smile:
  • sharondjs
    Options

The more the merrier :smiley: & the more pics of italy we see :blush:
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Well, sorry for the delay folks, but here is your week one update!

Our small but happy team covered 87.36 miles this week, that's over 200,000 steps - woo hoo! :smiley:

We've walked from Genoa to Asti.

sk5odsde5rtg.jpg

With beautiful architecture, exciting and interesting festivals, and lush vineyards, its the perfect place to stop for a quick break before heading off to the next town.

ab7ydniazeq6.jpg

mm0p1d7fbbt1.jpg

uot5vmqaplrf.jpg
  • ClarissaCLD
    Options
    From 1st July to 10th July I have done 68,255 steps. I wasn't wearing my FitBit Friday or Saturday as my wrist was hurting. I will try and update the spreadsheet later, my work computer won't let me do it.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    From 1st July to 10th July I have done 68,255 steps...

Blimey, well done Clarissa, that's awesome!

• ClarissaCLD
    Options
    From 1st July to 10th July I have done 68,255 steps...

Blimey, well done Clarissa, that's awesome!

It is only because I was away at the coast last week and did lots of walking rather than being sat at a desk!
  • sharondjs
    Options
    Wow love the pic's thanks @BigChangeNeeded
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Hi folks.

Sorry, I wandered off on my own for a while, but I'm back now. My Fitbit's been playing up, so I've been relying on an old school pedometer for a little while, but now I'm back tracking my steps properly.
    I'll get an update posted asap....