Help feeling terrible - not sure whether to continue

Options
Crlion43
Crlion43 Posts: 31 Member
Hi All

I've been feeling terrible the last three days. Very tired, really shaky by the end of the day, loss of concentration and motivation and on occassion depressed. I really need to make sure I'm keeping my electrolytes up to normal amounts ? Any advice
I've set my carbs to 30 gms. I tend to go over but not much more. I'm finding it difficult to meet my calorie intake since im just not hungry. anxiety is getting to me at the end of the day. I've also tried to cut out caffeine but the two together are just not working. I took a berocca tonight to try and get some vitamins. I'm also taking vitamins at night.
I guess this must be some form of the keto flu.. How long does it last? I'm taking some chicken stock cubes to work tomorrow so I can reach my sodium requirements. And add extra salt to my food.
I even found it difficult to walk 50mtrs today to go to the shops.
Support, advice would really be appreciated right now. I don't want to give up.

Replies

• PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you have figured out the possible and maybe even probably cause. Get the electrolytes up first and give it a few days to kick in. Morton makes a Lite Salt that is part sodium and part potassium. I've found that adding that to bouillon works best for me.

You may get better advice from the really knowledgeable people here if you would open your diary so they can see your macro components and food choices. Just a thought.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem. I would have quit altogether if not for this forum/group. Work on finding the correct electrolyte balance for your body. Took me almost 3 weeks to get back to normal. Had a physical before lchf so I knew there were no underlying problems, yet my mind kept thinking otherwise. Good luck on your journey.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been going thru the same thing! Been on keto since May 1st and it is definitely your sodium! I also have been exposed to very hot temps at my job (steel mill) where temps are much hotter inside the building than out so sweating 12 hours a day along with the frequent urination really threw me for a loop!!! I have started drinking a cup of Knorr chicken bouillon with a Tbsp of butter and 1/2 tsp of lite salt the past few days and my knees no longer feel like they are going to buckle! Now I know the general fatigue will take longer to overcome, but I am being patient.
    Many take sodium tablets but I haven't tried them yet. I plan on getting them because I am sure the bouillon probably has msg or other additives I don't need to be consuming on a regular basis, but they are easy to find and quite tasty :)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I echo what others have said. I have low blood pressure as is so I need to make double sure I get enough sodium. I'm also still a newb so. For potassium I've just decided to eat avocado and spinach daily (green smoothie, anyone?). Apparently they are high in it.

First week I had very mild symptoms as I took precautions, I felt like by the 5th day my symptoms were gone already. Unfortunately I messed it all up by giving into carb cravings in a weak moment. Now I'm having it (carb-flu) all over again. :lol:
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    Had the same problem. I would have quit altogether if not for this forum/group. Work on finding the correct electrolyte balance for your body.
    I'm working on this issue now and like Supergal I would've gave up if it wasn't for this community and forum. I'm drinking bouillon and adding salt to everything even my BPC. I use mortons lite salt and I add 1/8 tsp yup my water too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto the others. Sounds like low blood pressure probably made worse by low sodium. It could also be made worse by falling blood glucose.

When I am not keto adapted, when my BG falls I really feel it. I get the shakes, can't think as clear, BP falls and I get light headed - maybe tunnel vision. Once I am back t being fat adapted, my BG can go even lower and I don't feel a thing because I am not relying on glucose for fuel. For example, when out of ketosis if my BG fell to a high 4 I was shaking and in cold sweats. Now? I can be a high 3 and feel just fine.

Hang in there. Lots of salt - even drink a teaspoon of it in water - and hang in there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Keep going. Read all the stuff in the Launchpad if you haven't already, make any adjustments necessary, keep calm and keto :) You will feel great soon.
  • Crlion43
    Crlion43 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much all for your help. I am feeling a bit better today. I've also decided to cut down the caffeine gradually. I'm pretty sure yesterday I was suffereing keto flu and caffeine withdrawal. Can keep with the keto flu and low carb but the caffeine needs to be a slower cut down. The two together yesterday really made me ill. Was so nauseous by dineer time.

I really appreciate the responses. As others have said I would have quit if it wasn't for the peope/support onhere.
    My weight loss is going well and I'm getting married in December so can't quit to fit into my dress.

Thanks again all
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You got this!