Need help with lab work...

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
The hospital I work for does a health screening once a year. Since I started in January I had an initial one done then. I just had my health screening done for this year and just got the lab results back. I need help deciding if they are good or bad or have improved!

Blood Pressure: 108/66 (not sure what the initial one was)
Glucose (Fasting): 1/16: 89 7/16: 80
Cholesterol: 1/16: 222 7/16: 229
Triglyceride: 1/16: 109 7/16: 69
HDL: 1/16: 75 7/16: 99
LDL: 1/16: 125 7/16: 116

I feel like they mean well? I started this WOE in February if that helps. The nurse in our office keeps telling me that my cholesterol is high and stop eating eggs and bacon :neutral:

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    DEFINITE improvements!!!!

Your HDL and Trig ratio is the only part that matters in the big picture. Your HDL (good) went up! Your trigs - went way down! Below 100, it makes most of the other calculations seem wonky. Your fasting glucose went down, which is FABULOUS!

The BP, without having the other reading...

But yeah, no, read cholesterol clarity and all the posts lately about what cholesterol really means - and ignore the nurse. You're on your way, baby!!!
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Don't change a thing!!! Everything has improved! Most doctors/nurses don't really know that much about nutrition and rely mainly on the basic flawed food pyramid woe!!! You are doing great!
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I knew that HDL the higher the number was good. I was just worried about my cholesterol. So I can keep eating my bacon :smiley: ! My BP is usually under the normal range of 120/60 so that's not an issue for me. I have also learned today that my body responds really well to staying 20 carbs or under and lots of fat and protein. I made a shake today with a banana and protein powder and I feel like a slug. I think I'll go back to my coffee/ice/HWC/protein powder mixture I was doing!
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    With trigs that low the higher than expected LDL tells me you have the harmless "large fluffy" type.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    neweuquol wrote: »
    With trigs that low the higher than expected LDL tells me you have the harmless "large fluffy" type.

explain?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are different types of LDL. The large particle size is preferred over the smaller particle size. Again, the book cholesterol clarity, as well as many cholesterol links @baconslave just posted about open threads... I think Mark's Daily Apple and some other sites have great info, too.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME!!!!
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like that nurse needs to re-educate herself. Your LDL and Triglycerides both went down, and I'd bet my bottom dollar if they had done a breakdown of LDL into the two types, it would have been primarily large fluffy (good) and less of the small sticky (bad). Your HDL which is your good cholesterol went up, so it made your total cholesterol go up. You need to look at the ratio, which on you is bangin, so don't listen to that nurse. Even from a non keto/lchf perspective, your cholesterol levels are A+

Sincerely, someone who worked as a medical assistant/X-ray tech in a family practice for 8 years
  • emilybeaver
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I get a "coaching" on my results I think next week so I can't wait to see what she has to say. Normally she is pretty educated and understands low carb. I also have told her that I am down LCHF and she was okay with it. So we shall see!! Plus I hit my goal weight target. I made my goal from 188.8 (where I started in Jan) to 178 by July. I was at 175.8 :smiley:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Everything is great. The glucose change is likely statistically insignifcant. My fasting can easily change by more than 10 points day to day. But, both numbers are excellent.

The trigs and hdl are awesome.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    The nurse in our office keeps telling me that my cholesterol is high and stop eating eggs and bacon :neutral:

Have nitwit Nurse Ratched keep a diet log for a week and post it here for us to admire?
    Oh, and her lab results, too. (Please.)

• emilybeaver
    Options
    her lab results I think are good from what she says....she eats lots of fruit, oatmeal, carbs etc but she is of normal weight and does eat half of her food often. But I notice she is hungry quite often.
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    neweuquol wrote: »

explain?

Have you ever seen the movie Fathead? I forget the name but one of the food scientist say they are two different types of LDL. "large fluffy" type which is harmless and the smaller type which seems to be the most likely to cause inflammation.
  • whitneyr137
    whitneyr137 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nice! Those labs look like an improvement to me. I also get fussed at by our employee health nurse because my total cholesterol is slightly over 200, but like you, my HDL is almost 100 and my trigs are low. Bring on the bacon and eggs!!