Eggs for lchf

Options

Replies

• priyankarai2005
    priyankarai2005 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Agreed a basic plan is good...to start with. But it is a learning experience, so adjusting to your own body needs is the key to success. We are not all able to adapt to a one size fits all diet program. People tend to get discouraged if, let's just use Atkins, doesn't work for them. They then assume LCHF doesn't work.... It's working through a problem and persistence that leads to success. And agreed @Sunny_Bunny_ This forum is soooo valuable to do just that!

So yes to both... 1) pick a basic plan 2) give it time! See how you do. 3) READ READ READ-research all you can 4) adjust according to what your body tells you and finally 5) Just ASK!!! Odds are somebody here has had the very same experience!

Thanks for giving me the roadmap. I will try to follow it. And will also try to learn from yours experience.
  • priyankarai2005
    priyankarai2005 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    OP you mention being indian. This opens a world of high fat curry options. Beware the usual added sugar though. I find it easy to eat curries without the naan, chapatti or rice, but I was not raised on them. My exception would be if I was at a colleagues house and eating traditionally, then something is needed to help get sauce from plate to mouth!

Ya, this is true but almost every vegetables contains carb n this is my major issue. Eating veggies is no problem to me

Are you counting net carbs (total carbs, minus fiber) or total carbs? If you're doing total, switch to net. Non-starchy vegetables have around half of their carb content as fiber, which will immediately double the amount of vegetables you can eat.

Unfortunately, you will have to drop the chapatti and rice, most likely, but that will also force you to get creative with other vehicles for getting the curry from your plate to your mouth. :)

Alternatively, especially if this is just for weight management (ie - you're not doing it to prevent or reverse diabetes or some other chronic disorder), you could simply have your carbohydrate allotment in the 100g range to allow for some rice and chapatti in moderation.

I am doing it for simply weight loss and I have no chronic disorder. I am taking net carb and still it touches the mark of 100. But after your suggestions I can make it to 100 coz it's not possible to completely eliminate rice and chapatti from typical Indian diet. Lolz
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, but was curious how people dressed up scrambled eggs to make them less boring (per say).

I'm thinking about cutting up some pepper jack cheese (I don't have a cheese grater, maybe should get one), adding HWC (I used to add milk, but maybe I should be watering this down a bit?), and possibly some salsa and/or jalapenos. I've also considered cooking sausage or bacon separately and adding to the egg mixture perhaps after cooking or half-way through if I want it to set into a solid piece of scrambled eggs as I cook them.

Thoughts? How do you make eggs?
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @priyankarai2005 - you've gotten a lot of great advice here and I wish you lots of luck. It takes time to tweak any diet to your unique body, circumstances and needs but I think if you stick with it you'll succeed!

@midwesterner85 - my favourite way to prep scrambled eggs is to dice in some cream cheese (about an ounce for every 2 eggs) and add Parmesan cheese (about a tbsp) - ups the fats, makes the eggs AMAZING and super filling. I sometimes fry up sliced bacon and baby spinach and add the eggs when those are cooked and give it a quick scramble.
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The more eggs I'm eating and the less carbs I'm eating, the lower my cholesterol. Funny how that's always worked for me. It went up during a time period I was eating more carbs! Now as for the vegetables, stay away from starchy ones, legumes, corn, even carrots to a certain degree. Stick to green veggies, especially leafy ones. Spinach, broccoli, zucchini. There is a lot of fiber in those and aren't as affected by your carb intake. So long as the carbs I have mainly come from those, I don't worry. I keep my whole carn level under 30 and my net carbs under 20. Usually, even if eating veggies with my breakfast and with dinner I still don't even hit 20.

What I usually tell people is that I eat mostly "above ground" vegetables. Root vegetables are the carby ones & easy to limit or avoid altogether.

As for eggs - there is no maximum, just - like another poster mentioned - boredom if you eat them too often. Remember to count the 1 gram of carb per egg, though, especially if you're at Atkins induction level or on a keto WOE. Your body needs cholesterol, and will create it if need be. Dietary cholesterol is not an issue and does not contribute to heart disease for most people. (There is a genetic cholesterol issue where one must avoid ingesting cholesterol, but it is pretty rare.)

Good luck & enjoy your eggs!
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I find it easy to eat curries without the naan, chapatti or rice . . . ./quote]

We eat a fair amount of curry. I like mine with sauteed vegetables, usually a combination of greens (cut in 1/2-inch strips), sweet and hot pepper, summer squashes, whatever I've got. A little onion, too. I rarely eat rice and never eat chapati or naan (although I love it!).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, but was curious how people dressed up scrambled eggs to make them less boring (per say).

I'm thinking about cutting up some pepper jack cheese (I don't have a cheese grater, maybe should get one), adding HWC (I used to add milk, but maybe I should be watering this down a bit?), and possibly some salsa and/or jalapenos. I've also considered cooking sausage or bacon separately and adding to the egg mixture perhaps after cooking or half-way through if I want it to set into a solid piece of scrambled eggs as I cook them.

Thoughts? How do you make eggs?

Jalapeños (deseeded and chopped), swiss cheese, cream cheese, and a bit of spinach. Then add ghost pepper hot sauce to taste.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Mushroom. Swiss cheese. spinach. chopped sausage. butter. stir and eat.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I cant emphasize enough how doing a low carb diet with out using a published guide to follow is dangerous.

From my studies it is the number one reason people fail and then blame the diet. It also gives the low carb the reputation that is a bacon diet.

I don't care who's plan you choose, atkins, rosedale, protein power, keto clarity, the obesity code, genocide, the art and science of a low carb life style, the primal blue print, atkins for a new you or any of the other plans that have been vetted by physicians that treat patients. Please pick one so that you have a guide to follow and you can know why your doing what your doing and what you should expect. Then you will be able to tweak the diet to make it work for you.

I hope this helps.

Wait, like a pre planned meal plan? Or just as far as food types are concerned? I'm not really following a meal plan so to speak, I'm eating banting style I suppose.

I eat basically all of the foods on banting list in different amounts. But I don't have a set menu every day. I just kind of grab what I'm wanting in the moment.
  • tnevin225
    tnevin225 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A good book on Eggs called Eat The Yokes. Its available on audiobooks , narrated by the author Liz Wolf.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The more eggs I'm eating and the less carbs I'm eating, the lower my cholesterol. Funny how that's always worked for me. It went up during a time periodvegetables, stay away from starchy ones, legumes, corn, even carrots to a certain degree. Stick to green veggies, especially leafy ones. Spinach, broccoli, zucchini. There is a lot of fiber in those and aren't as affected by your carb intake. So long as the carbs I have mainly come from those, I don't worry. I keep my whole carn level under 30 and my net carbs under 20. Usually, even if eating veggies with my breakfast and with dinner I still don't even hit 20.

I am also trying to keep my carb below 50 but fail miserably everyday. We Indians can't live without rice and chapati. Even if I eat 2 chapati a day and half cup rice, I end up having at least 100 carb. I am struggling to be in limit.

I love Indian food. Just last night I made butter chicken and served it over cauliflower couscous instead of rice, sometimes I'll make cauliflower mash instead as a bed for my curry to absorb the yummy flavours.

Re the eggs, I eat 2-3 every day and my cholesterol is lower than its ever been, but everyone's body is different.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I cant emphasize enough how doing a low carb diet with out using a published guide to follow is dangerous.

From my studies it is the number one reason people fail and then blame the diet. It also gives the low carb the reputation that is a bacon diet.

I don't care who's plan you choose, atkins, rosedale, protein power, keto clarity, the obesity code, genocide, the art and science of a low carb life style, the primal blue print, atkins for a new you or any of the other plans that have been vetted by physicians that treat patients. Please pick one so that you have a guide to follow and you can know why your doing what your doing and what you should expect. Then you will be able to tweak the diet to make it work for you.

I hope this helps.

I do agree that having access to information and help is greatly beneficial and will most likely improve your likelihood of long term success, but I also think a group like this is just as helpful, even more, than a written plan somewhere.
    Both might be even better :wink:

What she said. This group is my guru and I've been doing great since March with boo plans of quitting.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @tnevin225 That is a great book. Informative and entertaining.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    coz it's not possible to completely eliminate rice and chapatti from typical Indian diet. Lolz

Can't just eat from a bowl with a spoon? Or will you offend people greatly if you don't take rice or bread?

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the easiest to mix up:

Prosciutto and red pepper flakes and 5 cheese Italian blend
    Mushrooms, steak/roast beef, cheddar or havarti cheese
    Finely diced peppers and onions, cubed ham, cheddar
    Bacon or sausage cooked and then crumbled into eggs when partly cooked
    Diced tomato(just a little for flavor) , feta and bacon
    Pizza eggs: pepperoni, diced tomato, mozzarella and a sprinkle of Italian herbs

I also love good ole classic eggs scrambled softly in a generous portion of butter with a dash of black pepper and generous salt. I add the black pepper and salt to all eggs.

I also love eggs boiled medium... So the yolk has just a little run to it, thick and luscious, but the white is set. I'll do 3 or 4 of these, toss em in a bowl and mash em with butter, salt and pepper.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks for boosting my morale.

You're welcome :) Again, I wish I liked eggs more. I only like them blended up/scrambled, even then I get bored with them and it limits me.

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Lol as I'm replying to the o.p., I see ideas for scrambled mix-ins/add-ons

Very nice! Thank you all :)
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where to cite it) that your body produces about 80% of your cholesterol and only about 20% comes from what you eat. That would make the cholesterol in your diet much less significant than originally thought.

I'm a vegetarian also and get most of my protein from eggs and cheese. If you track your net carbs instead of total carbs you can get in more veggies. I actually gained weight when I stopped eating meat probably because I substituted a lot of dishes with rice (and pasta) for the meat. Rice was a hard staple to cut out of my diet, so you have my sympathy.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @nicsflyingcircus +1 to black pepper on eggs! I always dust a lot on!