Eggs for lchf

Options

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    OP you mention being indian. This opens a world of high fat curry options. Beware the usual added sugar though. I find it easy to eat curries without the naan, chapatti or rice, but I was not raised on them. My exception would be if I was at a colleagues house and eating traditionally, then something is needed to help get sauce from plate to mouth!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you eat cheese, mixed with eggs and the different varieties of cheese can make things interesting for you.
  • priyankarai2005
    priyankarai2005 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I need a help. Should I go for whey protein isolate or concentrate. I am a bit confused.
    And 1 thing more can I replace it with any meal

Personally, back when I used protein powders, I actually went with Carnivor, because it was the only beef derived protein available at the time.

There was an independent third party lab analysis done on a wide array of protein powders that showed that a lot of them were using *kitten* like Taurine to jack up their "protein" contents under test methods that only check nitrogen.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

I prefer the veg one but I think it will have lesser protein
  • priyankarai2005
    edited June 2016
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    As for the egg question.. Is this to meet your daily protein macros? You might try a low carb whey isolate like Nature’s Best – Zero Carb Isopure to make a healthy smoothie using coconut milk, coconut cream and/or hwc.

Per serving (2 scoops):Isopure low carb protein powder

Protein 50g
    Fat 1g
    Carbs 0g
    Leucine 7.8g
    Vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, B12, Calcium, Iron, and more. 50% Daily Value

I need a help. Should I go for whey protein isolate or concentrate. I am a bit confused.
    And 1 thing more can I replace it with any meal

Whey protein isolate has a higher protein content and is lower in carbohydrates, lactose and fat. Lower carb being the key, of course. You just add a fat source of choice and a sugar substitute (remember to add the carb content of the sweetener of choice) Yes, you can replace any meal with this shake. You could even add coffee if you like and blend it up with hwc and ice for a morning frappuccino! Or add 1/2 cup of raspberries or blackberries to the mix for another 7 g of carbs. Endless possibilities.

Thank you so much
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the carbs from green leafy vegetables at all. Eat all of those you want.
    I wouldn't worry about the carbs from green leafy vegetables at all. Eat all of those you want.

Actually I hate eating leafy vegetables but I am forcing myself towards them. Hope to succeed.

Cook them in some butter and coconut oil with some garlic and maybe even add some cheese. Yum!
    Or have a salad with a good serving of full fat dressing. Add some cheese and egg. Find some sneaky ways to get more of the greens to help stay away from the higher carb stuff.

Seems like it would be difficult to have a primarily vegetarian diet without liking mostly all vegetables...

Very true, now I am exploring all the possible to dishes of green vegetables
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Need help guys regarding Maximum no of eggs to be consumed safely without affecting cholesterol levels

I don't think there is a max. My parents raise chickens for their eggs and eat 10+ per day, and their cholesterol is normal.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If you're worried about the "cholesterol" but want the protein you can just eat the egg whites and get your fat sources elsewhere. I eat the whole egg now but when I was afraid of cholesterol (and fat) but wanted protein I was an egg white only person.

Since I have no cholesterol issue, I think I can continue with whole egg
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you're very lucky! I have to add a crapton of stuff to my eggs to choke them down, and I'm such an egg snob that I can't tolerate fried, runny, poached, hard or soft-boiled. I like an omelet made with butter and scallions or asparagus, a quiche with tons of cream/cream cheese, spinach, 'shrooms, etc. or I have to scramble-fry them in bacon fat, add mushrooms, jalapenos, cheese, tiny bits of onion or tomato, then top with salsa or chili garlic paste and have bacon or sausage on the side (which is basically my new "toast" - Oh, how I MISS TOAST with my eggs). Oh, and tons of salt and pepper or creole seasoning/herbs.

If you can eat that many a day/week, GO FOR IT! :)

Thanks for boosting my morale.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    CMB1979 wrote: »
    Need help guys regarding Maximum no of eggs to be consumed safely without affecting cholesterol levels

I don't think there is a max. My parents raise chickens for their eggs and eat 10+ per day, and their cholesterol is normal.

That's great. Now I will have no fear of eggs

• priyankarai2005
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If you're worried about the "cholesterol" but want the protein you can just eat the egg whites and get your fat sources elsewhere. I eat the whole egg now but when I was afraid of cholesterol (and fat) but wanted protein I was an egg white only person.

I used to share my hard boiled eggs with my cat.
    If he heard the screen door opening he ran to see if he was
    getting any yolks. He hates LC, lost his yolk supply.

>:) or o:)

Poor cat
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    OP you mention being indian. This opens a world of high fat curry options. Beware the usual added sugar though. I find it easy to eat curries without the naan, chapatti or rice, but I was not raised on them. My exception would be if I was at a colleagues house and eating traditionally, then something is needed to help get sauce from plate to mouth!

Ya, this is true but almost every vegetables contains carb n this is my major issue. Eating veggies is no problem to me
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    If you eat cheese, mixed with eggs and the different varieties of cheese can make things interesting for you.

Thanks Samantha
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I cant emphasize enough how doing a low carb diet with out using a published guide to follow is dangerous.

From my studies it is the number one reason people fail and then blame the diet. It also gives the low carb the reputation that is a bacon diet.

I don't care who's plan you choose, atkins, rosedale, protein power, keto clarity, the obesity code, genocide, the art and science of a low carb life style, the primal blue print, atkins for a new you or any of the other plans that have been vetted by physicians that treat patients. Please pick one so that you have a guide to follow and you can know why your doing what your doing and what you should expect. Then you will be able to tweak the diet to make it work for you.

I hope this helps.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I cant emphasize enough how doing a low carb diet with out using a published guide to follow is dangerous.

From my studies it is the number one reason people fail and then blame the diet. It also gives the low carb the reputation that is a bacon diet.

I don't care who's plan you choose, atkins, rosedale, protein power, keto clarity, the obesity code, genocide, the art and science of a low carb life style, the primal blue print, atkins for a new you or any of the other plans that have been vetted by physicians that treat patients. Please pick one so that you have a guide to follow and you can know why your doing what your doing and what you should expect. Then you will be able to tweak the diet to make it work for you.

I hope this helps.

The understanding why that you mentioned, is the most important part. Unfortunately, with any diet that gives meal plans and *kitten* like that, most people never learn the why. They just follow instructions, and then have no ability to adjust if, and when something in the plan either makes them ill, or causes other adverse effects.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I hope this helps.

I do agree that having access to information and help is greatly beneficial and will most likely improve your likelihood of long term success, but I also think a group like this is just as helpful, even more, than a written plan somewhere.
    Both might be even better :wink:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Ya, this is true but almost every vegetables contains carb n this is my major issue. Eating veggies is no problem to me

Are you counting net carbs (total carbs, minus fiber) or total carbs? If you're doing total, switch to net. Non-starchy vegetables have around half of their carb content as fiber, which will immediately double the amount of vegetables you can eat.

Unfortunately, you will have to drop the chapatti and rice, most likely, but that will also force you to get creative with other vehicles for getting the curry from your plate to your mouth. :)

Alternatively, especially if this is just for weight management (ie - you're not doing it to prevent or reverse diabetes or some other chronic disorder), you could simply have your carbohydrate allotment in the 100g range to allow for some rice and chapatti in moderation.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I am not following any particular diet plan. Just trying to keep my carb at lower level. But now I will definitely research thoroughly and will try to implement it.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options

I hope this helps.

The understanding why that you mentioned, is the most important part. Unfortunately, with any diet that gives meal plans and *kitten* like that, most people never learn the why. They just follow instructions, and then have no ability to adjust if, and when something in the plan either makes them ill, or causes other adverse effects.

I will try to get the answer of *why* and hope to get advice from you all.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options

I hope this helps.

I do agree that having access to information and help is greatly beneficial and will most likely improve your likelihood of long term success, but I also think a group like this is just as helpful, even more, than a written plan somewhere.
    Both might be even better :wink:

Thanks a ton for your support. Hope to get it in future as well.