Eggs for lchf

Options
priyankarai2005
priyankarai2005 Posts: 86 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Hi guys, I am struggling for low carb diet and finding it quiet difficult as I am pure eggitarian. I don't eat fish. I get 60% of protein from eggs. Is it safe to take 4-6 eggs 5 days a week.
One more thing, I want to minimize carb intake but every veggie contains it and I end up having more carb than desired.
Need help guys regarding Maximum no of eggs to be consumed safely without affecting cholesterol levels

Replies

• SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of books out there that show that eggs dont affect cholesterol levels as much as has been scare mungered in the past. One good one for LC is Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore.
    I now dont worry about the number of eggs i eat. Been eating LCHF for 12 months. My blood tests had the best improvements my Dr has ever seen.

The only thing i would worry about is getting bord and not eating to plan because you need variety for mental stability.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The more eggs I'm eating and the less carbs I'm eating, the lower my cholesterol. Funny how that's always worked for me. It went up during a time period I was eating more carbs! Now as for the vegetables, stay away from starchy ones, legumes, corn, even carrots to a certain degree. Stick to green veggies, especially leafy ones. Spinach, broccoli, zucchini. There is a lot of fiber in those and aren't as affected by your carb intake. So long as the carbs I have mainly come from those, I don't worry. I keep my whole carn level under 30 and my net carbs under 20. Usually, even if eating veggies with my breakfast and with dinner I still don't even hit 20.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the carbs from green leafy vegetables at all. Eat all of those you want.

This. Most of the carbs in things like spinach and cauliflower, are insoluble fiber, so you have no worry of those messing with your blood sugar.
    Now, fortunately for you, eggs are extremely versatile. Frittatas, omelettes, the myriad ways that they can be cooked on their own, etc. Hell, I'm almost certain that between eggs, cheese, greens, and spices, one could come up with enough variety to keep themselves fed for the week, and that's not even looking at other fat sources like oils black olives, etc.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    As for the egg question.. Is this to meet your daily protein macros? You might try a low carb whey isolate like Nature’s Best – Zero Carb Isopure to make a healthy smoothie using coconut milk, coconut cream and/or hwc.

Per serving (2 scoops):Isopure low carb protein powder

Protein 50g
    Fat 1g
    Carbs 0g
    Leucine 7.8g
    Vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, B12, Calcium, Iron, and more. 50% Daily Value
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I stay away from some veggies just because of how starchy they are - potatoes, carrots, grains, beans (technically I think these are legumes and not vegetables, though I eat peanuts, which are a legume). But some other vegetables are lower carb or no net carbs (I remove fiber for net carbs) such as spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, jalapenos, cucumbers...

As for eggs, I don't see any problem with eating 6 per day, but would probably spread them out (you are likely doing this already) and not eat all at one time in order to give protein time to be absorbed.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    There are a lot of books out there that show that eggs dont affect cholesterol levels as much as has been scare mungered in the past. One good one for LC is Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore.
    I now dont worry about the number of eggs i eat. Been eating LCHF for 12 months. My blood tests had the best improvements my Dr has ever seen.

The only thing i would worry about is getting bord and not eating to plan because you need variety for mental stability.

Hey, Thanks for making my mind clear. I have just started lchf n need to learn a lot.
    Thanks again
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Another great read is " "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter. Is all about how our bodies need cholesterol to be healthy. Every cell in our body needs cholesterol to maintain healthy cell walls. Without this vital fat our health is negatively affected! There are many resources in the Launch Pad too.

The "low fat, heart health" brainwashing has been based on the reports from faulty data. The experts have spent millions of dollars, trying to prove that low fat is healthier for humans, and have failed to prove that low fat diets prevent heart disease.

There are many reports that try to say that low fat is best, but if you look at who is funding these reports it's usually some pharmaceutical, or food companies! These companies have even been able to buy out many research projects that prove low fat is detrimental to health too_

Thing is, if you eat high fat, and high carb together the health effects are terrible! But, when cutting out the carbs, and eating high fat, you are giving the body what it needs to maintain good health.

Read everything you can to change the thinking about fat, because it's the high fat part of this woe that makes the difference!

Hi Karlottap
    I too have read that cholesterol are not bad when you are on low carb diet, but reading more n more made me confused. Thanks for clearing it up.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    The more eggs I'm eating and the less carbs I'm eating, the lower my cholesterol. Funny how that's always worked for me. It went up during a time period I was eating more carbs! Now as for the vegetables, stay away from starchy ones, legumes, corn, even carrots to a certain degree. Stick to green veggies, especially leafy ones. Spinach, broccoli, zucchini. There is a lot of fiber in those and aren't as affected by your carb intake. So long as the carbs I have mainly come from those, I don't worry. I keep my whole carn level under 30 and my net carbs under 20. Usually, even if eating veggies with my breakfast and with dinner I still don't even hit 20.

I am also trying to keep my carb below 50 but fail miserably everyday. We Indians can't live without rice and chapati. Even if I eat 2 chapati a day and half cup rice, I end up having at least 100 carb. I am struggling to be in limit.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the carbs from green leafy vegetables at all. Eat all of those you want.

Actually I hate eating leafy vegetables but I am forcing myself towards them. Hope to succeed.
  • priyankarai2005
    Options

This. Most of the carbs in things like spinach and cauliflower, are insoluble fiber, so you have no worry of those messing with your blood sugar.
    Now, fortunately for you, eggs are extremely versatile. Frittatas, omelettes, the myriad ways that they can be cooked on their own, etc. Hell, I'm almost certain that between eggs, cheese, greens, and spices, one could come up with enough variety to keep themselves fed for the week, and that's not even looking at other fat sources like oils black olives, etc.

Very true. I am learning various dishes of egg apart from boiled eggs and omlete coz I know these two. Hehehe
  • priyankarai2005
    edited June 2016
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    As for the egg question.. Is this to meet your daily protein macros? You might try a low carb whey isolate like Nature’s Best – Zero Carb Isopure to make a healthy smoothie using coconut milk, coconut cream and/or hwc.

Protein 50g
    Fat 1g
    Carbs 0g
    Leucine 7.8g

I need a help. Should I go for whey protein isolate or concentrate. I am a bit confused.
    And 1 thing more can I replace it with any meal
  • priyankarai2005
    Options
    I stay away from some veggies just because of how starchy they are - potatoes, carrots, grains, beans (technically I think these are legumes and not vegetables, though I eat peanuts, which are a legume). But some other vegetables are lower carb or no net carbs (I remove fiber for net carbs) such as spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, jalapenos, cucumbers...

As for eggs, I don't see any problem with eating 6 per day, but would probably spread them out (you are likely doing this already) and not eat all at one time in order to give protein time to be absorbed.

Yes, I am taking 3 for breakfast and 2-3 for dinner.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I need a help. Should I go for whey protein isolate or concentrate. I am a bit confused.

Personally, back when I used protein powders, I actually went with Carnivor, because it was the only beef derived protein available at the time.

There was an independent third party lab analysis done on a wide array of protein powders that showed that a lot of them were using *kitten* like Taurine to jack up their "protein" contents under test methods that only check nitrogen.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »

Protein 50g
    Fat 1g
    Carbs 0g
    Leucine 7.8g

Whey protein isolate has a higher protein content and is lower in carbohydrates, lactose and fat. Lower carb being the key, of course. You just add a fat source of choice and a sugar substitute (remember to add the carb content of the sweetener of choice) Yes, you can replace any meal with this shake. You could even add coffee if you like and blend it up with hwc and ice for a morning frappuccino! Or add 1/2 cup of raspberries or blackberries to the mix for another 7 g of carbs. Endless possibilities.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Actually I hate eating leafy vegetables but I am forcing myself towards them. Hope to succeed.

Cook them in some butter and coconut oil with some garlic and maybe even add some cheese. Yum!
    Or have a salad with a good serving of full fat dressing. Add some cheese and egg. Find some sneaky ways to get more of the greens to help stay away from the higher carb stuff.

Seems like it would be difficult to have a primarily vegetarian diet without liking mostly all vegetables...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about the "cholesterol" but want the protein you can just eat the egg whites and get your fat sources elsewhere. I eat the whole egg now but when I was afraid of cholesterol (and fat) but wanted protein I was an egg white only person.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're very lucky! I have to add a crapton of stuff to my eggs to choke them down, and I'm such an egg snob that I can't tolerate fried, runny, poached, hard or soft-boiled. I like an omelet made with butter and scallions or asparagus, a quiche with tons of cream/cream cheese, spinach, 'shrooms, etc. or I have to scramble-fry them in bacon fat, add mushrooms, jalapenos, cheese, tiny bits of onion or tomato, then top with salsa or chili garlic paste and have bacon or sausage on the side (which is basically my new "toast" - Oh, how I MISS TOAST with my eggs). Oh, and tons of salt and pepper or creole seasoning/herbs.

If you can eat that many a day/week, GO FOR IT! :)