Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• sheilaparsleyministries
    Options
    I'm new to low carving trying to cut out a lot of my carbs I'm diabetic so learning
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I can't fathom putting butter in coffee but might try it

Think about it this way, @sheilaparsleyministries - If you use cream in your coffee, you're already there. Butter is just cream with the liquid whey whipped out.

At first I didn't think butter would be good either, but I really enjoy it now. I use my Ninja to blend it and that makes it a lot better than just stirring it.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

I couldn't either, until I did it. Both butter and coconut oil. A lot of people talk about not liking the flavor of coconut oil but you can get it unflavored. Crisco and Carrington Farms both make one with no flavor. I now love coffee all blended up. I was adding whipping cream at first and a LOT of it because I thought it would mask the butter. In about 3 weeks or so I was down to no whipping cream at all. I finally purchased and immersion hand blender - so fast! I was using my blender but I hated breaking it down and washing it every morning for just one cup of coffee.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

its delicious! and gives you crack like energy lol
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I use hwc and occasionally butter. I don't do IF so it's mainly because 1- I love the taste of whipping cream :) and 2-butter for extra fat only. I can tolerate the coconut oil if I so decide to use it. I just prefer the butter. Lately I have been drinking my coffee with HWC only then mid morning i drink chicken bouillon with lite salt and butter. Now THAT is delicious!!! <3
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Soooo... The idea of bulletproof coffee is technically to consume energy that doesn't trigger digestion, technically ending your overnight fasting, so HWC voids that. But, if you're just wanting to use it as a meal and method to get some fat... Then you make it however you want to.
    If your blender is plastic, it will most likely damage it over a short amount of time. I learned that the hard way. But mine was cheapo one. Don't know if that matters

I don't understand... how would coconut oil and butter not trigger digestion? Why is this important and how does it end fasting but not trigger digestion?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 It's really more about glucose metabolism than digestion.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @midwesterner85 It's really more about glucose metabolism than digestion.

I'm not understanding that either... the HWC I use has 1g carbs and 5g fat per Tb. The butter I add has 11g fat per Tb. So the point is to have 100% fat and 0g of carbs vs. the 1g because that entire gram will convert to glucose immediately?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Most folks don't use only 1 TBSP of HWC, and it's rounded up on your container. HWC has 6.4 grams per cup, which I think comes out to 0.42 grams per TBSP. And yes, anything more than 5 grams of carbs starts up glucose metabolism, which is what some folks use it for. But if you're using it as a breakfast/meal substitute or supplement, you're good however you make it.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use a tbsp of the kerrygold butter and a tbsp of MCT oil I got at gnc. Coconut oil isn't my favorite and I'm still working on adjusting to the flavor. The MCT oil works perfect for me and while derived from coconut, does not taste like coconuts. And yes, I blend it hot in my little single serve blender I have. I'm looking for immersion blenders on sale to make cleanup easier, though.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I have a Hamilton Beach blender made of glass. It was difficult to find, but looked for glass because of heat. When I found it, the box even mentioned how it worked well with more extreme temperatures. And it even has a spout on the lid to pour so as soon as I'm done blending, I can just open the spout and pour right into my coffee mug.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Mine has an "ice hole" in the lid. When blending hot stuff, I just remove the insert and cover the hole loosely with my hand so I don't "paint" the kitchen. No real problems that I've noticed...
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Soooo... The idea of bulletproof coffee is technically to consume energy that doesn't trigger digestion, technically ending your overnight fasting, so HWC voids that. But, if you're just wanting to use it as a meal and method to get some fat... Then you make it however you want to.

Hi, I hate to sound like a total newb, but could you explain that better, please? When I first started LCHF, a month ago, I added NOW whey protein isolate, vanilla flavored. But it seemed I got too much protein every day. So I stopped adding the protein a few days ago and I seem to be responding better. I am status post-VSG two years and it is hard to get the protein mantra out of my head. I like the BPC because it does kill the appetite well, but I'm still not clear on its purpose, so would appreciate any elucidation you could give. Thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If your blender is plastic, it will most likely damage it over a short amount of time. I learned that the hard way. But mine was cheapo one. Don't know if that matters

I don't understand... how would coconut oil and butter not trigger digestion? Why is this important and how does it end fasting but not trigger digestion?

It has to do with digestive enzymes and the protein in dairy. I got it from The Bulketproof Diet.
    Here's one place it's mentioned on this page of the book.
    dcqul9nol6ut.jpeg
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited July 2016
    Options
    www.healthfulpursuit.com covers this, too, with her rocket fuel lattes. There's one of her videos that goes along explaining it all, too.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Hmm... the HWC I use has 0g protein.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    1 cup, which is 8 oz or 16 TBSP, has 4.88 grams of protein, so it's even lower than carbs, but HWC has a HUGE insulinogenic response - meaning that it triggers insulin reactions way above and beyond what you'd expect for the carb and protein counts...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2016/05/rocket-fuel-latte-recipes/ I don't remember if this is the exact video, but her site explains why you don't want the protein or carbs and why.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    That doesn't make any sense because 1. Wouldn't a healthy person then go hypoglycemic with insulin production and such little glucose for it?
    and 2. I have type 1 diabetes, so I don't have any insulin response whatsoever.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I think that first part is correct, because it triggers hunger and makes the body store fat if you're sensitive to it.

Per the website:
    4. Adding cream, milk, nut milk, sugar, or honey WRECKS the effects – The glorious effects of drinking Bulletproof® Coffee, like better brain function, increased energy, and normalized weight, can be canceled out when you add things like cream, milk, nut milk, sugar, and honey. Each of these foods changes insulin response, stops autophagy, or causes inflammation. These physiological/biochemical changes in your body lead to a foggy brain, hunger, and fat gain. No thank you.

Article: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-mistakes-butter-coffee-fatty-coffee-and-more/