Needing help asap

Options
FatMomma89
FatMomma89 Posts: 81 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
I just had my baby 2 weeks ago. I am nursing. Is it safe to do low carb while nursing? How do I do it while nursing? I need to make my milk fatty for my peanut but I have 73 pounds to lose. I also have my vow renewal in 8 to 10 months from now and I want to be set for it.

Replies

• gunnerslove77
    gunnerslove77 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry to much.. ive breast fed 6 babies a year each... try to keep fluids up and listen to your body... pretty sure if mothers in the 3rd world can do it eating hardly anything then you can do it eating good healthy natural food..weigh baby everyday to see gain and talk to health personal if scales don't go up..most of all enjoy it xx
  • FatMomma89
    Options
    Do I need to keep my carbs over 20?
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    FatMomma89 wrote: »
    I just had my baby 2 weeks ago. I am nursing. Is it safe to do low carb while nursing? How do I do it while nursing? I need to make my milk fatty for my peanut but I have 73 pounds to lose. I also have my vow renewal in 8 to 10 months from now and I want to be set for it.
    FatMomma89 wrote: »
    Do I need to keep my carbs over 20?

Maybe now it's not the best time to make huge changes on your diet. Your questions suggest you're just starting LC. I wouldn't go as low as 20 carbs right now. If you eat moderate low carb, maybe around 100-150 carbs of good low carb veggies, it'll be much easier on your body and as long as you avoid processed junk you'll still lose weight on time for your vow renewal.

Enjoy your time with your baby! <3

::flowerforyou::

• dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Maybe just GRADUALLY reduce your carb intake. And by gradually, I mean like @Sunny_Bunny_ said maybe 150g to start with then drop 10g per every few weeks. Slow and steady reduction will still help you lose weight. Just don't drop your carbs quickly because the dizziness and fatigue can get pretty bad when your electrolytes get out of whack. You will need your energy dear!!!
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said start moderate low carb. Cut out the refined sugar, bread pasta, rice and potatoes to start and I'm sure you will see a difference. Another reason really low carb may not be the greatest for you at the moment is you need to be getting enough calories to be producing milk and keto tends to really kill the appetite.
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @FatMomma89 - CONGRATS on your new bundle of joy! How exciting :)

I am a Keto newbie and have a lot to learn, for sure. Been reading about Keto, Paleo and LCHF in general.
    I dont know if you would find this link helpful. Not sure what is scientifically accurate, but I have read a couple of articles indicating when you start Keto while nursing, toxins that are released may make their way into the breastmilk.
    (I know, I know......when does a new mother have time ;-)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/87101-breastfeeding-carb-diets/
    http://www.ketotic.org/2014/01/babies-thrive-under-ketogenic-metabolism.html
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/10/tpv-podcast-episode-60-breastfeeding-weaning.html

btw - Back in the day, when I nursed my 2 babies, I quickly lost ~ 50lbs each time. Nursing was not only good for my babies, it was crazy easy peasy to transfer all those calories to the baby, via breast milk.

Good Luck on your weight loss journey. Enjoy every minute of being a new mom.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @NonnaTurtle - I'm jealous. Despite breastfeeding for nearly 18 months, I never lost a single pound while doing so - in fact I gained weight. Somehow the pregnancy and delivery wrecked my metabolism (not diagnosed with PCOS for another decade or so), and it was the most frustrating thing in the universe. @TribalmamaEmily is a low carb nursing mama, if I recall. @Alliwan is too, I believe. @becwana is, also, and a few others here, too. If you can change the title of this post to include breastfeeding, I believe you'll get a better response.
  • NonnaTurtle
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss That is awesome you breastfed for 18 mo!! Sorry it wrecked your metabolism. Your a good mom, kiddo
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @NonnaTurtle - It was a little over 17 months - I didn't quite make it to 18. I came down with a bug that left my literally crawling to the bathroom for a bit, and sitting still at that point as horrible...and she was down to once a day, so we just wrapped it up. I was thrilled I went that long, considering I went back to work when she was 12 weeks old, then laid off when she was 5 months, then back again at 9 months. Lots and lots of pumping!

But now, in reflecting, it seems like the pregnancy/delivery issue might just have been the catalyst. I had my gallbladder removed when she was 7 weeks old, and apparently, tracking back it looks like I had low stomach acid most, if not all, of my life...which contributed to everything. Things just spiraled out of control after that point, and given that Kiddo will be 16 in October, it's taken me this long to get things back under control!

And thank you. Breastfeeding worked well for our family unit - and I was lucky that way... It was important to me to try...but I am a huge advocate that whatever works out best for the family, breast or bottle, is what is best for baby! :)
  • NonnaTurtle
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    I am right there with you. Gallbladder :#
    I had mine out back in my early 30's and I was told I didnt 'need it'. It didnt really do anything.
    And over the years, not one doctor I have seen has ever said a word to me.
    It was not until I joined this group that I finally learned it WAS a key player in the whole liver, bile/stomach acid mechanism and probably was a big contributor to my slide into obesity. The links you send me were so helpful. I started taking Ox Bile last week and believe that one change gets some of the credit for the Keto success I am having, so far.

I'm off to Whole Foods
  • FatMomma89
    Options
    Thank you. I will start at 150 and slowly cut down. I am 206 pounds now and have 70 pounds to lose.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    I am right there with you. Gallbladder :#
    I had mine out back in my early 30's and I was told I didnt 'need it'. It didnt really do anything.
    And over the years, not one doctor I have seen has ever said a word to me.
    It was not until I joined this group that I finally learned it WAS a key player in the whole liver, bile/stomach acid mechanism and probably was a big contributor to my slide into obesity. The links you send me were so helpful. I started taking Ox Bile last week and believe that one change gets some of the credit for the Keto success I am having, so far.

I'm off to Whole Foods

@NonnaTurtle - I was taking some other bile salts back way before I started low carbing, and they just made a mess of things...so I stopped. Now that I"m repairing my gut and adding ACV and digestive enzymes, I'm finding I might need to add the bile stuff back in. I actually sent an email to my doctor this morning asking about it! I wish I had realized that before adding the enzymes, because the better blend @anglyn1 suggested has all of the above in it, albeit in smaller doses, and I'm thinking that might end up being better overall!!
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I BF for 26 months and always felt like I needed more carbs... Whether I actually needed them or not I couldn't tell you lol. I was taxed beyond because my daughter nursed every 2 hours at night until I weaned. I was not getting adequate sleep. Every time I tried to lose weight... I gained weight
  • FatMomma89
    Options
    Congrats! I BF for 26 months and always felt like I needed more carbs... Whether I actually needed them or not I couldn't tell you lol. I was taxed beyond because my daughter nursed every 2 hours at night until I weaned. I was not getting adequate sleep. Every time I tried to lose weight... I gained weight

I am afraid of gaining weight. I can't nurse like normal. My baby won't latch on. So I pump and bottle feed. I feel like I get less sleep now then I ever did with my other kids. I keep eating chicken pot pies and drinking a lot of water right now. I need to stop them.
  • decourck
    decourck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, congratulations! @FatMomma89 please don't worry about anything other than keeping yourself and your baby healthy right now. Two weeks is so little! You just had a baby. Eat healthy foods but enjoy fruit and vegetables and whole grains if you crave them. And maybe even indulge every once and a while. Infants are so much work, you should not be focused on losing weight right now. I recommend waiting to "diet" until you are done nursing or your baby old enough to get its nutrients from food. Best wishes!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of gaining weight. I can't nurse like normal. My baby won't latch on. So I pump and bottle feed. I feel like I get less sleep now then I ever did with my other kids. I keep eating chicken pot pies and drinking a lot of water right now. I need to stop them.

I had that same problem at first, and a lactation consultant nurse found me a plastic nipple cover/shield so that the baby would suckle better--kinda faked him out into thinking it was a bottle! The bottles confuse the process -- its easier to feed with a bottle, so the baby gets mad and won't work at the real thing... I used the shield for a few months, and then one day just dropped it off and baby latched on no problem. After about a year, we went to just nightly BF until he was 2 and a half. Good luck with your little one.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    @FatMomma89 - I'm a low carb breastfeeder as knitormiss mentioned. Sorry I took so long to respond but I had no phone for a bit due to my 2 year old dunking it into a glass of water!! My baby is 5 months now and is thriving and I'm losing weight. I've been keto since before pregnancy, wavered back and forth during and back to it after birth - just be VERY mindful of keeping your fluid levels up!!
    Very happy to chat / offer support / compare notes so feel free to add me if you want :D
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh and congratulations!!!