Hashi's and Weight Loss???

Options
LynnieKay0415
LynnieKay0415 Posts: 17 Member
Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis when I was about 15 (almost 10 years ago). My levels have been almost perfect on Synthroid since I was diagnosed and have never really had to change my dosages at all. The problem i'm having is I seem to be completely unable to lose weight! When I first was diagnosed and began the meds & a zero carb/sugar diet I dropped like 30 lbs. From 180 to 150. I stupidly started eating carbs again and put back on about 15 lbs. Well for about a year now I have been super strict with carbs, sugars, processed foods, etc. I eat almost nothing out of a box. Stick with lean protein, veggies, fruits. I started going to the gym regularly back in January and I have seen ZERO results. Not on the scale...nothing. It's so frustrating!! I've mentioned it to my doctor and she just chalks it up to genetics, which frustrates me even more.

So basically (sorry for that little rant lol) have any of you guys been through similar situations and found a way to make that scale budge??? Any suggestions??

Replies

• bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can understand this - I went through a drop of about 10-15lbs when I started on levothyroxine. The only things that got my numbers to budge at all were switching to Armour (NDT) which works far better for me anyways, and starting to do strength training/weightlifting. Cardio has little to no impact for me.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I too dropped may initial 15 lbs and have cleaned my diet up considerably. I was walking for 2 miles a day, which made me lose .4 lbs about every 10 days. All came to an abrupt halt with foot issues, which has me doing 3500 steps a day max. Still watching what I eat but unable now to lose any wt at all. Just up a bit and back down less than a half a lb, so I am at a plateau until I can walk....otherwise I do not lose wt either. Seems we all have a similar problem. Sluggish metabolism..... Good luck with this. My wt loss has happened with me being on Armour, but I feel really good if that means anything.
  • Cnc0826
    Cnc0826 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to lose any weight either. PCOS hashimotos and insulin resistance. SO hard.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    PCOS, hashi and insulin resistance are all to often common bed fellows. One site I visited suggested trying to lower your carbs to something like 100 per day, it is not usually necessary to try for keto. If your system responds as expected this should ease the insulin resistance which should help the PCOS too. For my hashi, I found eliminating foods and things my body reacted to, eased my antibody numbers. Not everyone with hashi has exactly the same triggers as even a sister, its that personal.

I decided to have reputable blood tests for myself, (been in this boat too long and my medical system is overly restricted. NHS) I found decreasing my digestive transit times helped. I'm also taking digestive microbes and enzymes which are very helpful, widening the range of foods I can now eat, improving my nutritional status. Slow or excessive transit makes life difficult for the digestive microbes which caused deficiencies in me causing my problems making some enzymes.

I also take various vitamin and mineral supplements, particularly those to aid conversion t4 to t3. This detail can be omitted by many a medic. A national thyroid support site should help, STTM, is pro NDT products, these do not suit everyone, synthetics can be problematic for others, particularly those with inbuilt conversion issues. The hypothyroidmom, is good. there is another site by a pharmacist, that is interesting too.

Unfortunately there is no one size fits all solution, it do what works for yourself. Try things for yourself. Glutein avoidance takes a strict 6 months to feel changes, those for whom it helps are best to stick with it. My experience of eliminating casein, all dairy was immediate, casein problems are most common rather than the much shouted about lactose. Interestingly, bovine casein is type 1, goat is type 2 and is most like human milk. It is recognised clinically lactose intolerant persons can tolerate it in goat products.

It may help to know using any antibiotics will reduce your digestive microbes as will high levels of pain relief. I found digestive microbes which replace the ones removed be antibiotics, its taken several packets to maintain the initial relief but its worth it. Likewise enzymes exist to aid digestion of, gluten, casein and lactose, multiple proteins, fats and my personal life saver phenols. I lacked the ability to digest salicylate so many fruits and veg were no go, Histamine intolerance can cohabit or vice versa. In which case DAO histamine products can help, the ones which say, use me to tolerate chocolate or wine but the irritants are in more foods than simple those.

Probably this is too much information. I encourage anyone to read round all which ails you, keep to reputable sites, particularly hospital ones, follow the science, check out the references, I should keep copious notes but have given up now.

All the very best.