Vacation

Options
Tara4boys
Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
I'm going on vacation next week. I've been averaging 40 carbs per day. I'm thinking about upping my carbs to 100 for vacation to allow for a little more flexibility.

What do YOU do on vacation??

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've not gone on an actual vacation since being keto. I have taken a few day trips out of town. One was for a family reunion and they had homemade ice cream that I went ahead and tried. Another day trip was for our anniversary and I had a gluten free cupcake. Where I live none of the bakeries cater to gluten free so it was a unique thing. Otherwise I stayed keto. Basically I only veer from the diet for something really, really unique. Even if it's a special occasion or a trip. I am pretty happy on keto and I like the way it makes me feel. Plus my digestion is better. If I'm doing a lot of activities I want to feel my best!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Ironically way before I was keto I recognized that lower carb made me feel better so I often ate that way when we went out of town for festivals and stuff just to keep me feeling better and eliminate any stomach issues.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    How long is the vacation, and are you driving / flying / taking a bus? Usually my long vacations are driving half-way across the U.S. I do bring some low carb snacks and otherwise I eat fast food that is low carb. Skip the buns, eat salads... same things I do at home, I guess.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a vacation and I found that it helped to up the calories but not the carbs.
  • Balaga8611
    Balaga8611 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation. On occasion I ate something with carbs that I wouldn't normally eat at home, but for the most part I found it fairly easy stick to the Keto WOE, and still enjoy new food experiences. For the first time ever, I came home from vacation without a weight gain!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm headed to the beach next week. I plan to eat keto as I do now. In fact it will hopefully be real similar with most of my fats for breakfast and lunch and protein and carbs for dinner. I find that keeps questions and unwanted comments about my WOE to a minimum. In my real life circle the fewer who know about me eating "all this fat", the better. Vacation is with a group of female friends and the only meal we have as a group is dinner.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I spent a week in spain at the end of last month. I had little to no internet to logand count carbs. i researched the local cuisine to build a mental larder of what was low carb friendly. We were visiting family so there was a mix of groceries at 'home' and eating out.

If you're buying any 'supplies' I'd recommend stocking up on grab to eat meat and cheese snacks. Lots if em, no one wants to cook on holiday and if you get a surprise temptation (like ice cream at the beach) you'll either be full or have a something on the go to.

My biggest fear was the new pizza place my mother wanted to try. There was no menu online (small Spanish village), if she hadn't already had one I'd have walked past and asked when we first arrived during the walking/exploring phase!.

The mental larder is your best bet. Research what you're likely to find there and try to stick to what you know is carb friendly. Thinking about bloating in my holiday clothes or rattling on a sugar come down during a day trip really kept me going. I did a whole week abroad without leaving keto and I'm still very proud.

Good luck x
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation next week too!
    I don't plan to change anything other than I know I'll be drinking more often. I just stick to the same low carb alcohol as normal and food will all be pretty much meat and cheese as per usual.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've stuck to very low carb while on vacation, except for some alcohol indulgences while at an all inclusive in Jamaica. I can say that the alcohol mixes were enough carbs to make me have headaches and serious tummy issues too! Have fun with whatever you do!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I went on my first vacation since starting Keto. Only 4 days, but I didn't restrict myself too much. Ate dinners in upscale restaurants, do it your self breakfast with gluten-free [not carb-free] cerial, picnic lunches [first banana in 9 months]. Dinners I allowed myself pasta, but skipped all the bread, splurged on desert. Two days after vacation I was 4 lbs lower than when I left, and have stayed low and lost more weight. I think this worked cause it was so short a vacation.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The last time I went on a vacation, the ex-wife and I were on keto. It was pretty easy to maintain, as we just ran everything like we normally would, cooking in the hotel we stayed in. We were in Myrtle Beach, so it was actually pretty easy to find low-carb food all over the place (seafood e'rywhar) when we didn't feel like cooking.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    My last 2 vacations I ate whatever I wanted. I gained about 5 pounds each time and lost them within the first week I was home. I tried to stay LCHF but I really lack self control in those environments. Luckily there's no more vacation till next year!