Do you indulge or cheat, ever? How often and what do you eat?

Options
1TheQueenB
1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
Just curious...I've heard of some indulging only on planned set days of the year.

Replies

• lpfasciano
    lpfasciano Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Keto version of a low carb diet, which restricts the amount of protein you can eat and replaces it with high, healthy fats. For me, a cheat day is one that I can eat a LOT of meat. I had a cheat day this past Monday and went to Buffalo Wild Wings and ate 10 traditional hot wings. I could've eaten more. I haven't gotten on the scales yet and I'm hoping it didn't hurt me, but we'll see come Saturday morning when I weigh!
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options
    scottaking wrote: »
    When I cheat, I can't stop cheating. A cheat day turns into a cheat weekend, which then evolves into a high carb life. I know not everyone is like me, but my only way to stay with this WOE is to not cheat at all.

I'm envious of those that can do a cheat day. I will always miss my mac and cheese and general tsos chicken.

GENERAL TSO CHICKEN!
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    Thanks for the links. I do know about the replacements. I just haven't tried very many yet. When I'm really craving some general tsos, I now know where to go. Thanks again for the links!
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I cheat, I can't stop cheating. A cheat day turns into a cheat weekend, which then evolves into a high carb life. I know not everyone is like me, but my only way to stay with this WOE is to not cheat at all.

I'm envious of those that can do a cheat day. I will always miss my mac and cheese and general tsos chicken.

I am pretty sure I saw a recipe for keto general tsos chicken somewhere. Not trying to encourage substitutes if that's not what you are looking for so I apologize if this was an unwanted response.
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oops that is what I get for not reading the comments.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Only been on keto since May 1st but if I am hungry I will go over my protein macros with exrra meat or cheese. Yum..
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done it and find it difficult to stop cheating and restart low carb. The food tastes soooo good, but my BG's become sooooo high and uncontrollable, so I ultimately feel worse (I have type 1 diabetes). Still, I fall off the wagon sometimes unintentionally and call it a cheat period. This year, I had an intentional cheat for my birthday (a day turned into a cheat weekend of 3 days) and I basically gave up low carb for a couple weeks to eat up some high-carb food prior to moving in June. Then I added a few trips to the buffet and pizza to that.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Other than some alcohol indulgences, no I haven't cheated. I'm like others here who are afraid to allow it, for fear they wouldn't ever find their way back.

Another motivation is from the pain relief I've experienced! Fibromyalgia pain is near nonexistent! I don't have any desire to return to the pain I used to deal with! This helps keep the cheats at bay too!
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

Ideally I'd like to get to a place where I reach my goal weight and self control level and then give myself permission to have a treat every once in a while, not necessarily weekly or monthly but maybe for my birthday or if I want to have a drink to celebrate something or just to do it. I imagine having dessert on thanksgiving or Christmas and maybe a drink for new years (can you tell I really love the holidays!)....I just don't want to think that for the rest of my life I have to constantly say no to things that I like to eat. I think everything in moderation is a feasible concept for me so if I can tell myself that every once in a while I can indulge then I feel like I'll be more successful in the long run. As a previous post stated, I would have to plan it very well to not feel like I gave in or messed up.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Other than some alcohol indulgences, no I haven't cheated. I'm like others here who are afraid to allow it, for fear they wouldn't ever find their way back.

Another motivation is from the pain relief I've experienced! Fibromyalgia pain is near nonexistent! I don't have any desire to return to the pain I used to deal with! This helps keep the cheats at bay too!

Interestingly, if you can manage to stick entirely to liquor, you can avoid having any problems with keto. That being said, you do have to be careful, as excessive drinking of zero carb alcohol can reportedly throw you straight into ketoacidosis, if you're already short on carb intake.
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options
    For example: I plan to run a half marathon in February and I can't wait till my race is over and I can go get a nice meal and fuel my body and as a treat. I'll probably want a nice juicy burger or chicken sandwich with some sweet potato fries and I'm not going to want to worry about how many carbs are in it.
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options
    Maybe a bacon cheeseburger.....
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Like quitting smoking or alcoholism.
    You can never cheat on either of those.

Eating is much harder because you can't quit completely. It's like trying to have just one cigarette each day.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Like quitting smoking or alcoholism.
    You can never cheat on either of those.

Eating is much harder because you can't quit completely. It's like trying to have just one cigarette each day.

That's why I went the vaping route. Quite similar for me in the smoking realm, to replacing all of the bread and pasta *kitten* that I used to eat, with bacon and self-control. ;)