Making our own Cheese crisps - how do you log it?

Options
RowdysLady
RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
When you nuke cheese to make it all crispy and delicious do you count the full pre cooked weight or the post weight? Something like string cheese doesn't change much but an oily/watery cheese like sharp white cheddar cooks down to nothing.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's really no other way to do it. It would just be a total guess to deduct any fat that was lost.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    That's what I was thinking too; but there are so many smart people here who have already invented wheels that I wondered if there was a formula out there for a bit more accuracy. iIt's kind of like "eating a tablespoon of butter" when I eat a fried egg. I don't really eat the whole tablespoon that I fry in but it's close enough to count.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Wait...you aren't supposed to lick the fry pan???[/quote]

I suddenly see a future where I'm in the ER with a burnt tongue and when the doctors ask me what the hell I did, I'd tell them "well, Doc, I was trying to keep my food log as accurate as possible..."
    [/quote]

Thanks for a couple of good chuckles on a dreary Saturday morning!

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Drain the fat, let it cool, and then dip the cheese in it... Then lick the pan after it cools. Make sure you'll get it all. How's that for accurate? :lol:

I actually have done that. :blush: I usually lick my plate, not the pan though. Did that last night as a matter of fact.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, calories are not an exact science, so extreme precision doesn't help much. Personally I always overestimate as my goal is weight loss, so for me eating less is better than eating more. Like you mentioned, if I use a tbsp of butter to fry an egg, I would enter that as-is without worrying about any fat that wasn't eaten. When I log, I enter my food weights as raw ingredients, the only exception being bacon as the package references calories based on cooked slices.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking too; but there are so many smart people here who have already invented wheels that I wondered if there was a formula out there for a bit more accuracy. iIt's kind of like "eating a tablespoon of butter" when I eat a fried egg. I don't really eat the whole tablespoon that I fry in but it's close enough to count.

Wait...you aren't supposed to lick the fry pan???

Mwhahaha!!
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    I love this group.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I love this group.

I know, right?! I got a good chuckle out of this thread myself!!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Drain the fat, let it cool, and then dip the cheese in it... Then lick the pan after it cools. Make sure you'll get it all. How's that for accurate? :lol:

I actually have done that. :blush: I usually lick my plate, not the pan though. Did that last night as a matter of fact.

OMG I knew I wasn't alone! Had some salmon in coconut oil the other night with red chilis and garlic and HOLY FACK, I got all that up from the plate with my fingees, it was that good.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    When I cook brisket I buy the huge sides with all the fat. I cut most off, fry it crisp and indulge..yummy
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My husband looks at me like I'm a lunatic every time I lick my plate, but, hey- I'm not leaving all that goodness behind.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I never put cheese in microwave but I have actually fried it and rolled it up very good.